Confessions of a M312b owner.

(Sigh) Yeah it was,

Well.....ok.:)

We'll blame it on the cassette deck and compu-transfer.:D

I see some mixing lessons might be in order too!

Well, the fun is in the learning and perfecting, right?...Right!:cool:

Cheers! :)

ps; never loose hope!:)

I'll take the lessons!

Hope? Hell, I lose that three times a day! LOL

I did a new mp3 mix that is a LOT hotter and punchier... (I still hate my mics!)

* Beware- My other PC with the burner came away from Nowhere infected. (it's the W32.Welchia Worm... Norton Antivirus laughed and said "Sorry can't help you out pal", so I have to fix that somehow AND then my music PC won't find it's modem! GRRRR! So it will be a day or two or maybe never before I can post my new mix. )

I hate computers almost as much as they hate me!
:)

It took me all day to get rid of that damned worm, but I did it!
Now if I can get my music PC's modem going I'll be ok... I need the drivers, but can't find then on the net or from the company... I'm waiting to hear back from them, but that could take forever!

So what should we do with this tune? Do it as it exsists now in it's 1:55 short form or add another double verse and then outro on the chrous from there? (Maybe putting it at 2:00 0r 2:10...It'll be short no matter what.)

Do you guys need it on disc or can you decipher it from the Nowhere file?
(I can send out or email Chord and Lyric sheets to you guys while Herm is getting the drum tracks down if you wish.)

Just let me know so I can roll on it.

I still hate computers!

Woo Hoo!

It's 3 am and I've managed to fix BOTH PC'S AND post a slightly "Brighter" mix of "Hollywood" at 'Nowhere' (But... uh, I don't have a link for it! ) It STILL sounds bunk (And the acoustic guitars are either buried or gone! LOL) but I will get better at recording and mixing down in time.

It's not really important to note, BUT I did the song with a direct electric guitar, two tracks of ambient mic'd acoustic guitar, stereo keyboard drum sequence and synth bass.
The acoustic was part of the down fall... I should of close mic'd them with compressor cus they are either lost or out of control! When I can get the EQ sorted out then my mixes will improve... I sure hate my 57 on vocals now. I also believe I may have my reverb hooked up wrong! LOL

I can't wait to pitch these JBL's I have in favor of something new that I can actually hear with!
"I don't need any monitors..." I said to the leech children just before we used them as PA cabinets. (Doh!)

Livin' & (Well, you'd hope I'd be learning, but...)

This link might prove a little faster and more direct;

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3603&alid=-1

BTW, the mix is getting better! I can now hear signs of high fidelity in the drums, bass and vocals. But, yeah, there must be some monitoring issues that you are fighting there based on the balance of the instruments in the mix. The drums and bass are the loudest instruments, vocals next and the electric guitar way below that and the acoustics essentially gone!

Maybe you could mix through headphones if you have a decent pair to work with until you can get around to improving your monitor situation? What headphones do you have now?

Is the tape on its way to Herm's?

I have some "okay" headphones... I guess I can go back to boom box monitoring for the time being as well. (I try'em both)

No, I haven't sent it out yet.. I was waiting to see what you guys thought about adding the extra back half verses. (Meaning I'll have to do some quick sequencer editing to accomadate the extra verses, then rebuild the tune up, so like each person can hear the non-sense part I was playing on it when they get the tape and then tape their part over that track you know?
Then I guess after you get the tape we can all write the two extra verses to make it a full on Collab.... A Power Clab. LOL)

How's this?:

DRUMS: (HERM) Tracks 1 & 2
LEAD: (ME) Track 3
BASS: (REEL) Track 4
ACC.#1: (*RICK) Track 5
ACC.#2 0r ELE. (DOUG) Track 6
VOL. (GHOST) Tracks 7 & 8

*IF Rick is interested (I still haven't gotten confirmation yet...)
then maybe he can share a track with his son and we'd have a second **Acoustic and a maybe Key part on that one track... I know that's a sacrafice for Rick to have to sub mix a track while we all get our own, but I'm painted into a track space corner and I'd rather have everyone in and make a sacrafice than have someone out.

(** Of course it doesn't have to be acoustic guitars at all.)

I have a new "Hollywood" mix coming in a few minutes that I'm MUCH happier with. (Vocals are very Boxy and the bassline has Stage Fright, but I got the Acoustic Guitar into the act, the Vocals on top AND the snare finally dresses like a boy!)

This mix has more cons than pros, but I think it best represents the tune so far.

You guys tell me what you hear... I'm jaded to it now.

Billy,

Each mix is getting progressively better! :)

The drums, bass, acoustic guitars sound better balanced then the previous mixes. The only weak points of this mix are that now the electric guitar is way back in the mix and the backing vocals are also pretty far back but, the sound is smoothing out so, you are indeed making progress so, keep the faith!

About adding additional lyrics to the song; I am not completely sure any are needed but, a solo in place of the second verse would be a good way to showcase some talents and extend the song out a bit closer to the elusive three minute, pop song length and maybe extend the intro to 8 bars with a brief instrumental to foreshadow what lies ahead and that should get us there, more or less.

By putting the solo in the second verse current spot and repeating the chorus once more and then, the second verse, that should do it.

Opinions?

Yeah man... I couldn't do a damn thing with the electric guitar part! (But I'll give her a go in the morning with your advice.. Thanks)

* I came back and edited this post after thinking about your instrumental lead in idea... I wasn't seeing how that would work and keep the same energy, but NOW I DO! (and dude you are a genius!!!)

How about the song kicks of on the "Bombastic" D-A D-A??!!
(Like "Bleach Blonde! Bleach Blonde!, but of course WITHOUT the lyrics)
THEN does a few bars of Solo over the verse progression, THEN "Breaks Down" the way it begins now and the lyrics come in?? (I Love that idea and would have never thought of it!)

Same with the Solo I would have never thought of it... I DIG IT!

(I have to assume here that you have the tune at your disposal, or can go back a few posts to where I put up the lyrics, but bare with me ...)

SO, would it go through the first verse including "La la la la la la" , THEN do a chrous ("Hollyw- Hollyw you know you just don't need it. Hollyw-Hollyw you know you just can't beat it. Hw Hw")
THEN INSTEAD of a dead stop (My trademark lol) would the instruments comp the "La la la la la la" notes and cadence (But exageratedly so the Solo guitar) THEN it launchs off into a big pop guitar solo over another verse progression THEN the lyrics come back in with the "No need to worry, she aint in a hurry she's just hanging out yeah and having fun.." (With the solo guitar call and responding to the vocal line in finaly of the solo), THEN "La la la la la la" AGAIN, THEN the second verse ("He's making the big loot..") and the song would play out to the end as it does now?

It sooooo works with the natural flow of the tune, requires no additional lyrics and will pad the time in my rough estimation about 75 seconds!

Sound good?

Last edited:
I think your onto it now, yes!

So to para phrase;

Intro

First verse

Chorus

Solo, (with verse music structure)

Chorus, Break

Second verse

Chorus

Outro

Is that what you meant?

Billy, I had nothing but trouble playing your mp3 to Windoze Media Player 7,...

as it kept saying "invalid data", but when I fired it up on Winamp, it played just fine! Now, I'm prepared to say:...

the song clip is better than I thought it would be!;)

I got Media Player 9 and it works for me no problem!:)

How's the extended version coming along?

Once you do get it done and mixed down, put it back to the 1/2" reel on tracks 7 & 8 on a fresh piece of tape and record it twice, one after the other with a 10 second gap in-between each recording.

That way, it will give us a safety copy of sorts in case there is a drop out or if a track gets erased by accident by someone along the way or if the tape gets worn out from too many takes by any one along the way.

We could use the first pass for practicing our parts to and the second for actually laying down our keeper takes.

Also if posssible put the drum track seperate so I can turn if off
when Im recording.

The extended version is almost finished.
Kind of a lot of those dead stops (which I'll track with a click so everyone will know when to come back in).

Herm & Reel:
Can you guys do a fill in the two dead stops?
Like the drums can do a back beat turn around fill type of thing on one, then the bass can do a fill lick on the other?
(It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just fit the space you know as cool as you please.)

I'll have to re-track it sparse and omit a vocal track so Herm can have midi drums as a reference and everyone can have a click, so(One accoustic, Two drums, One bass, One lead line, and One plain (Cowbell) click.

Ok, so Drums on 7 & 8 and two versions (one after the other) with a gap between... No problem.

Any objections?

Billy if there is going to be a cowbell click then you dont need to put any midi drums down.

Ok cool Herm... There will still be a mono one for me to play to, but that's cool.. it'll give me a second track to double up the guitar so you can follow it better.

Happy Halloween Boys

Back