Confessions of a M312b owner.

Hey Ghost, thanks:o No big deal, I just hope I can find it today. I have tons of boxes from the move. And it still may be in a storage unit in Sac, but I'm almost positive it's here. Anyway, today I start assembling the console, so I have to start unpacking the boxes to get all the cableing out anyway. My son and i moved the steel frames up into the studio yesterday. I'll take some pics as I progress, and post them sometime today.

Billy, f I run across the book, which I'm sure I will I'll send it off but I'm going to need an address. So as soon as I find it, I'll pm ya, and you can pm me with the address, ok? Well, time to get this show on the road:D
fitZ

ps....I LOVED my 312b and wish I'd never gave it to my son. He traded it for a cheap bass cabinet. Oh well.

Way cool Rick! (Thanks again)

The first signs of winter have hit here in the TROPICS! (I'm STILL laughing about that Ghost! LOL)

I am happy to report that the tape has officially been sent
(Woo Hoo!) and the curse is over! (Or at least out of my hands. LOL) Damn it was like pulling teeth!

I included plenty of Lyric/Chord sheets, a cassette reference mix, $5 for Herm to send it to Reel and $10 for Reel to send it to Ghost.

So will this be the 1st Reel colaboration undertaken?
Are we making some sort of history?

:)

Are we making some sort of history?

If the history books treat us half as kindly as they are bound to treat the current administration, we are sure to count this as an internet first anyway!

Professional studios have long since used the method of shipping tapes around the world for multi studio/artists to work from remote locations to produce a product.

We are not re-inventing the wheel here but, we are maintaining an analog tradition and borrowing from our fore-father's traditions and that's a very cool thing to do, in my humble opinion.

Cheers! :)

Besides its better than sitting around with your thumb up your butt with nothing to do like me.:D

Ok here's a NEW scenario:

I just realized I've never fired a sequence from a sync track on my 38... (The idea is to track drums keys and Keybass seperately.)

Now I have no problem recording the tone from my sequencer thru my mixer onto a track., It's the sync tone playback routing I'm wondering about... Should I:

A: Allow the tone to come back thru the tape return, then use the channels Direct Out to go to my sequencer?

OR

B: Bypass the mixer on playback and just feed the sequencer straight from the 38's Tape Out for the sync tone track?

Think the signal will be insane coming directly from the 38's out??

Thoughts Please?

Just run a direct connection from the 38-out to the sync box,...

with no need to run it through the mixer, as far as I can see.;)

Hello Billy, when you say synch track, are you referring to a recorded SMPTE track?
If so, according to my midiizer manual, it says it can damage the electronics in a mixer
and or your ears if the monitors were up too loud. Very high frequency. But what do I know? What are you using to generate it?

PS. I went through 8 boxs of stuff the other day, but haven't found the manual yet. I'll let you know when I do.
fitZ:)

Cool Rick Thanks (Whenever you find it just let me know...No hurries No worries)

Yes I mean a SMPTE tone (I just call it a sync tone)... I have an Roland MC-500 sequencer... I've used it for a long time without any channel issues.. It's usually ok as long as it's not peaked, that's why I was wondering about the level coming directly out of the 38 into the sequencer. With my Porta I would just use an RCA to 1/4 and record it to a track, then play it off tape through that tracks Tape Cue Out.

I appreciate the heads up look out.

I had to break down and order a manual for my 312 and 388 recorder yesterday. I got tired of not being sure about how to do a couple of things with them so there goes another $55.00.
But now maybe I will be able to figure out how to use the monitor section and other functions on my 388.

And Billy my favorite bands would be Three dog night and Little River band. I have always like bands that could do some real harmony.

Im an old guy!

A true confession:

Hey Ghost,
I figure with it being Saturday and all, then maybe you're "Medicated" to a degree that will keep me from being *strangled for asking (If not, please start a Johnny Walker I.V. drip...Stat!), but can you run the whole Odd/Even 312 thing by me again please?

I confess, I don't really get it and wonder if I'm going about things (Tracking-Mixing) in an optimal fashion...
(I've just been tracking/mixing down) as if it were my Porta and not thinking about the odd/even panning.

* For those that might be new here:
Of course I'm just kidding.. Ghost has ALWAYS been happy to share his knowledge on any number of topics and there was in fact just one incident of strangulation, but I'm honestly too scared to talk about it. LOL

If you're recording a single part at a time, the odd/even pan assignments don't actually come into play so long as you leave the pan pot at 12:00 and simply press the 1,2,3 or 4 button to feed the buss that you are recording to on your 38.

As an example;

You record your drum machine to tracks 1 & 2 on the 38 by feeding the drum machine into channels 11 & 12 of the board, assign channel 11 to the one buss by pressing the button, assign channel 12 to the two buss by pressing the button, set your levels so that the peaks are hitting around 0db on the mixer's meters and prepare to roll tape by pressing the record ready buttons on the 38 for tracks 1 & 2. The pan controls can be at 12:00 or hard left and right on channels 11 & 12 on the board.

Next you want to play a rhythm guitar along with the drum machine and record that to track 4. This being accomplished by feeding your guitar's output into channel 10 on the mixer, pressing the "4" buss assign button on that channel and keep the pan either centered or panned hard right. (It doesn't much matter). On the 38 press the track 4 record ready button.

Now, roll tape and record your drum beds with the rhythm guitar keeping an eye on the levels to make sure nothing is overloading on the mixer or on the 38.

Next, you want to record the bass guitar, same procedure as recording the rhythm guitar as noted above except you will want to put this on track 3 of the 38 and will want to ensure that you have un-armed the tracks you just recorded, (1,2 & 4) and arm track 3 on the deck, get your bass guitar's signal into the mixer into channel 9, set the levels, press the "3" buss button on the mixer's channel that the bass is plugged into and plug in a compressor into the channel 9's insert point to control the dynamics of the bass and be mindful of the levels and compressor's setting so that you obtain a smooth natural level out of the bass. Compressor settings are a whole different topic!

Now back on channels 1,2 & 4 of the mixer, set them to receive the 38's playback from the drums and guitar and get them balanced, playback wise, against the bass guitar's recording level by rolling tape in play mode and practicing your part along with the recorded beds.

Once you feel comfortable with your levels and ability to play the part, rewind to the head of the track and record your bass part on track 3.

The only time you have to really worry about the odd/even pan assignments are when you are recording a stereo track, like an acoustic piano or a group of backing vocalists around two Mic's and you want the recorded result to be pre-panned as it prints to tape.

As an example, you have an acoustic piano mic'ed with two microphones, one picking up the low key strings and the other aimed at the higher key strings and you want a gentle left to right movement of the instrument as it plays low to higher notes. A hard left right pan might seem to un-natural on playback so you pan the low string's mic to 10:00, assigning to buss 1 & 2 and the higher stings, also assigned to buss 1 & 2 but panned to 2:00 on it's control channel on the board.

This method will give you a wider then mono presentation of the piano and sound fairly natural depending on the quality of the overall recording in mic placement and performance.

Is this helping?

Cheers! :)

Back