Changing tube to an Art Tube MP

Oh, no, I wish I hadn't run across this thread. I bought one of those ART Studio pres when it was stupid at MF. I've got some extra parts laying around, including tubes...

Doh! The Studio's got two op-amps, NE5532 and TL072.

What do I do now????

The OPA2134 should be just right in that circuit for the TL072... and this may sound strange but I would replace the stock NE5532 with a select grade NE5532AN, or just leave it alone for now and see how it sounds with the new tube and the 2134. I like the 5532 for the most part.

:)

The OPA2134 should be just right in that circuit for the TL072... and this may sound strange but I would replace the stock NE5532 with a select grade NE5532AN, or just leave it alone for now and see how it sounds with the new tube and the 2134. I like the 5532 for the most part.

The BBs look cooler, though.

If you really want a good BB in there instead of the NE5532, try the OPA2228. When you see a 5532/TL072 pairing it’s a good bet that a 2228/2134 pairing will drop in nicely… but I haven’t seen the schematic for the MP Studio. Does anyone know where I can see it on-line?

You’re putting in sockets so you can experiment, right?

If you really want a good BB in there instead of the NE5532, try the OPA2228. When you see a 5532/TL072 pairing it’s a good bet that a 2228/2134 pairing will drop in nicely… but I haven’t seen the schematic for the MP Studio. Does anyone know where I can see it on-line?

I haven't found one.

Beck said:
You’re putting in sockets so you can experiment, right?

I've got a couple. Doesn't that add capacitance?

Yes, but ART used a socket in the DMPA, and Presonus did in the MP20, which both use or rather in the case of Presonus, recommended a swap to OPA2134, so in those circuit designs it seems not to have an adverse effect.

If you are a klutz with an iron, then use the socket to avoid overheating the chip. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with sockets; OPA2134 is a good chip, if you're into experimenting then swapping opamps all day long might be fun, but I'd just solder in OPA2134 and get to making music.

Be careful or you'll end up like me :eek:

Just be sure to use machine sockets rather than the cheap tension type. There’s a night and day difference between the two types. Parasitic capacitance and inductance are insignificant with a good machine socket for these op-amps in this sort of circuit. Having the socket is helpful if you want to try other amps, or want to go back to the original. Once you solder something in, the traces on the board may or may not survive another desoldering and resoldering without falling apart. :(

Either one of these would work well for your application.

http://www.mouser.com/search/Produc...virtualkey64910000virtualkey649-DIP308-001BLF

http://www.mouser.com/search/Produc...50virtualkey51750000virtualkey517-100-008-050

If you decide to solder the ICs directly without sockets, do one pin at a time with a rest in between (have a jelly bean) ;) so as not to overheat the chip and ruin it.

Last edited:
If you decide to solder the ICs directly without sockets, do one pin at a time with a rest in between (have a jelly bean) ;) so as not to overheat the chip and ruin it.

He's taking out the jellybean!

I can solder a DIP-8 in about five seconds :cool:

He's taking out the jellybean!

I can solder a DIP-8 in about five seconds :cool:

It takes me 8 with a 15-watt iron, but I'm still working on it. It's only taken me 25 years to get that fast, so... :cool: :)

It takes me quite a bit longer without the soldering iron plugged in, however.

It takes me 8 with a 15-watt iron, but I'm still working on it. It's only taken me 25 years to get that fast, so... :cool: :)

Send me your wife's email address, and I'll make sure she gets you a tip temperature regulated iron for Christmas :cool:

Back