Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Sennnheiser E602

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Audio Technica Pro 25

Votes: 21 10.5%
  • Other (Explain in threads)

Votes: 34 17.0%

• Total voters
wowsers, i have em lying around. and not only that, but i used celestion for an example, you could use any 12" speaker. And yes they are free if you get off your butt and go to a trade show or a flea market. But i'm guessing this crowd just orders from AMS and waits, hands in lap, for their brandy new piece of "gear" to arrive.

not closed yet!

brendandwyer said:
But i'm guessing this crowd just orders from AMS and waits, hands in lap, for their brandy new piece of "gear" to arrive.

not closed yet!

Geez, a newbie with an attitude, what a surprise. You made some good contributions in that other thread about observations, don't get a fat head about it. Lots of people here DIY, many of them at a high level, like building mixers. Some of them have posted in this thread.

Try the search function for awhile, noob, then shoot your mouth off if you still feel like it.

Last edited:
I've worked with the Audix D4, the Beta 52 and the D112.

To be totally honest, the Beta 52 mopped the floor with the other two mic's. The D4 was GREAT on a floor tom but horrible on the kick and the D112 just didn't produce the sound I wanted. In the same position and with the same EQ as the D112 I got a great sound from the Beta 52 pretty much straight away :)

I voted Beta 52

Kick mics I've experienced with any regularity are the D112, Beta52, and N/D868.

I do not care for the D112 at all. The Beta52 is probably the one I've seen show up the most in live situations (also the SM 91). The only kick mic I own is the 868, I'm a big fan.

Which one of these has a natural EQ best suited for a kick in an acoustic based bands where the snare is played with brushes? Think "Fire and Rain" production.

Thanks,
bilco

I've been using the Audix D6 on kick and bass cab for around two months nowand im pretty happy with it. I've used the Beta 52 in the past and its a pretty awesome mic and I've heard great things recorded with a D112 never used one though.

i have the kickball, and i think it sounds great. very round sound. i think it sounds best a little further out than most kick drum mics. the low contour switch is really cool and helps out a lot sometimes. i would say its a good investment.

I've had a D112 for 7 years now...it still looks brand new! Sounds great on kick, floor tom, bass cabs, guitar cabs, and is hands down THE best mic for screaming vocals.

Anyways, for the past couple months I wanted something that sounded more "organic" instead of the click and basketball bouncing sound with the mangled low end. I used to have the D112 just inside the hole of the head pointed at the beater. On a whim I took it out about 4 to 6 inches from the hole, still pointed at the beater, but also with the front head blocking the "eye" of the mic. Voila, HUGE deep kick with that warm skin resonance and just enough attack to slap through a mix. WAY easier to EQ and needed less cutting.

Moral of the story: if you don't like what you hear, try moving the fucking mic! :D

(NOTE: that was not me yelling at newbies, it was me not listening to advice I had been getting for 7 years :confused: )

By that same token, I'd love to try a Beta 52 and if I was going to do metal, I'd love to have a D6.

Another low end approach is to keep the D112 inside the hole and use a V67G on the outside about 1 foot out. You can get a very decent sound with a couple of low end mics.

A used Sennheiser 421...

It takes EQ very well and can be made to sound like any of the other mics you mentioned in your poll.

Here's another vote for trying the CAD e100. I was pretty impressed when I tried it out on kick drum over the holidays.

Back