Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Sennnheiser E602

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Audio Technica Pro 25

Votes: 21 10.5%
  • Other (Explain in threads)

Votes: 34 17.0%

• Total voters
I voted for "Other (Explain in threads)" because I like owning/having more than just one or two mic's to chose from when recording something.

I am not sure you can get it for less than than $200 but the beyerdynamic M88 is known to be a good kick drum mic. It has excellent low end response and a tight cardoid pattern, so it is less likely to pick up other floor noises.

I've got a D112 and it works well, and is the only mic
I use on kick drums under your $200 limit.

But I much prefer using my ElectroVoice RE-20
which was only about $300 new.

The D112 has built in equalization, and sometimes
I just want the basic drum sound. Straight, no chaser.

Peavey 520i - a jewel among the largely crud peavey output (IMHO). My drum recording experience is limited, but this did the job for me, and I got it for around $80US second hand with stand! Good boom, good thwack, what more could a man want. And if you don't feel like sticking a metal washer to the head, a credit card does well.

Steve

My favorite kick drum mic is the Sennheiser MD421... and the ATM25 is different sounding than the MD421 but is also nice on kick IMO.

EV N/D 868 or A/T ATM25. With these two I can get pretty much any sound. Though I gotta say Beta 52 sounds great on a kick with no hole.

DJL said:
My favorite kick drum mic is the Sennheiser MD421... and the ATM25 is different sounding than the MD421 but is also nice on kick IMO.

Started using the 421 on kick myself. It's pretty nice that's for sure.

Man this is an old thread

boingoman said:
EV N/D 868 or A/T ATM25. With these two I can get pretty much any sound. Though I gotta say Beta 52 sounds great on a kick with no hole.

I haven't really used a Beta 52, but second your thoughts on the E/V and the ATM25. Both are my "go to" kick mics.

War

I like the audix D6 for rock/metal, it has a nice bite and punch quality to it.

If thats not cutting it...

Ive done tons of recordings with a sennheiser MD421 on the kick with great results.

Thats a very good swiss army mic the 421.

I want to add the Shure Beta-91. Never hear too much about it. I like it and you can get a new one for under $200. I can get the deep as well as the "click" with this mic which is designed for the bass drum.

I'm quite disappointed that the Beyer M88 didn't make the list. The M88 is the kick drum sound. I bought it used for about $200 on eBay. I own the ATM 25, and it is a very good sound, the lows are very fat on that mic, the high end not very present... not quite as punchy as the M88 and some of the usual suspects.

I've expressed my opinion on how much I dislike the D112 (everyone's got an opinion right?). I've also raved about the Audix D6... a very nice mic (balanced, nice lowend, nice punch, I really love that one too... the sonic signature is strong, not quite as versatile as the M88 and some others). But when I want the a sound in the kick that is great off the bat and easy to sculpt into a radically different sound without any particular sonic signature, the Beyerdynamics M88 is my ticket.

The M88 has a balanced sound, punchy mids and a very 'strong but tight' low end (a bit tighter to my ears than the ATM 25...though the ATM 25 goes a bit lower). The M88 is my new 'go to' kick mic... plus, it's a quality vocal and VO mic on stage or in the studio.

e602...What? I like Sennheiser...Is this another drummer wanting that clicking sound. I heard Vinnie Paul tapes a silver Dollar to the head...

hasbeen said:
I want to add the Shure Beta-91. Never hear too much about it. I like it and you can get a new one for under $200. I can get the deep as well as the "click" with this mic which is designed for the bass drum.

This one is quite the sleeper. I've heard some pretty amazing kick sounds reproduced with one of these. I'm shocked that more people aren't using it and raving about it.

Talk to me about Red5 ... I feel like I should be taking advantage of them over here but I don't know them from anything else.

Back