• Sennnheiser E602

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Audio Technica Pro 25

Votes: 21 10.5%
  • Other (Explain in threads)

Votes: 34 17.0%

• Total voters
picostudios said:
It sounds too muffled for my taste. I love a real beater/clicky style kick. The snare is night and crispy though.
If you haven't already... try a MD421 together with an ATM25... MD421 near beater for click, and ATM25 backed off for the bass. ;)

I lack those 2 mics. Right now, this is all that is in my possession.

3- SM57
1- R0de NT1-A
1- AT 4040
1- Samson Qkick <vomits>

I am probably going to go ahead and buy a D6 and a pair of decent overhead mics with my tax return. I can not WAIT. Finally, I can get a sexy kick drum sound.

Right on... anyway, if you ever get the chance... try the two... I think it might be the sound you're looking for. ;)

And a snare... and a hi hat.. and two or three toms... and some cymbals... and a drummer... and maybe a bass guitar... and a bass amp.. and a bass player... etc :)

DJL said:
If you haven't already... try a MD421 together with an ATM25... MD421 near beater for click, and ATM25 backed off for the bass. ;)
Quality advice - I did this with 421 and AKG D112 and it provided just that. The only problem then was that I was too retarded to mix them together well :rolleyes:

I like the Beta 52 for live sound but its a little mushy on the recorder. The M88 makes the $200 kick drum mikes sound like little farts. :p

agrees with all of the "above" mostly.. but what about the so-called creative use of an 8" woofer re-wired to accept a signal.. and placed out in front getting some deep low end... anyone ever do this?
could you consider this a mic?

Cruizer said:
agrees with all of the "above" mostly.. but what about the so-called creative use of an 8" woofer re-wired to accept a signal.. and placed out in front getting some deep low end... anyone ever do this?
could you consider this a mic?

Yeah... I've tried it with a very compliant 12" woofer, and it gave me lots of really low bottom end, which can be a good thing (or a very bad thing). IMHO, you'll need to use a conventional mic near the beater too to give you some snap and definition. I think this technique lends itself best to hip-hop or other genres where it'll be played through a "one note johnny" kid car band-pass subwoofer. But the best thing to do is try it and see what you think.

will do, thanks for the heads up on "beater mic" i'm also going to mic the front w/ a conventional mic and try to sneak in a little of the "subwoofer" mic in the mix... not sure what i'm going to use yet on the "conventional" side of the ball park yet, thats why i'm paying close attention to this thread.

rounder kik

i've got a b52 and i'm very happy with it for most things. you can force the tap of a d112 out of it if you'd like but thats not my thing.

what i'd like to know is if anyone has advice on getting more of a albini/o'brian-not a lot of highs (really compressed) but still stands out in the mix kik sound. (ala do 90's)
i can work the "sexy" kik sound just fine (i like b52 in at4050 out) but don't always want that sound. it's very tipical and i'm starting to get bored of it.

all advice is appricated
even on spelling

giraffe

I agree that the ATM25 is a great kick microphone for this price. I have one and love it. Note that this is NOT the AT25 pro mic. Like most equipment with "pro" in the title, that one is not as good. ;) I also had great results using the ATM25 on a big low tom drum the other day.

-lee-

Under $200?? How bout free?

My favorite bass drum mic is a reverse wired 12" celestion speaker.

Try it and let me know. I have no doubt you'll love it

A 12" Celestion is not free..unless you're giving one away.

D12 or D112 can be bought for the price of a Celestion I think

Wow...this started almost 3 years ago now...the last time anyone posted on this was March of 2005..way to bring up the past!

Jacob

jkokura said:
Wow...this started almost 3 years ago now...the last time anyone posted on this was March of 2005..way to bring up the past!

Jacob

It's a timeless classic topic! Undeterred by the fact that ALMOST EVERY KICK DRUM MIC IS UNDER $200! Makes it a hard topic, like, what's the best hamburger under $20?

Oh, that's easy, it's Harveys...there burgers are soooo good! Plus they only put what you want on them...Only 19.99!

Jacob

Back