Audio interface suggestions?

Fariz

hey guys i'm looking for an audio interface to record 8+ instruments in different tracks, could you guys suggest me one which is not to expensive but really good. make sure its a USB audio interface.

Tascam US1800 is the best bang for your buck. $300 gets you 10 preamps and a total of 16 inputs via USB 2.0. The built in preamps are actually not bad either. Man I really should get paid for this. I sound like a pimp for this interface.......:D

Everything on my website was recorded with the 1641. The predecessor to the 1800. Same thing just not as sexy.

You're not going to beat Jimmy69's Tascam for price.

The only other suggestion you might want to consider is that for a bit more there is the Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0. You don't specify what your 8 instruments are or how you plan to record them, but the monitoring options a mixer-based solution can provide might be an advantage for such large scale multitracking.

Make sure the get the 2.0 model though...the basic one with a similar model number doesn't have as many outputs.

Man I really should get paid for this. I sound like a pimp for this interface.......:D

I kid you not, as soon as I read the original post I thought, 'Jimmy is going to come in with his US1800' :D
For good reason too, 8 XLR inputs and 6 line ins for $300 is unheard of. A couple months ago I was looking to upgrade to something with more inputs. I'm not sure but I think the 1800 wasn't out at that time? I only remember checking out the 1641. The reason I didn't buy it was because I figured since it was so cheap, it must suck. Looking back, that was bad reasoning. Seems like I only hear praise for the unit now.

Absolutely...

Well to be more clear, the DAW/computer do the actual recording. The interface just allows separate inputs of analog to digital conversion for the DAW to record. The 1800 can send 16 individual signals to 16 individual tracks yes.

The song samples on my website were not recorded one track at a time. :)

Last edited:
When someone continually champions a particular piece of gear, only a fish or a fool doesn't take note, even if you don't actually buy it.

Man I really should get paid for this. I sound like a pimp for this interface.

Same here. I was thinking the same thing and was expecting you to have already said it... :). I'd with you on this one. It's such a great piece of gear for the price.

I keep looking at the tascams.....It's still on my Amazon wish list

Do it. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.... and never look back :)

Same here. I was thinking the same thing and was expecting you to have already said it... :). I'd with you on this one. It's such a great piece of gear for the price.

Do it. You'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.... and never look back :)

Entry level+++ for anyone who wants to record drums.

I was going to say something about your music player not working on your site, but then it started playing. :) Good stuff there man! I would love to get more music styles recorded in my cave.

Lol...I use the Zoom R16...it gives you 8 XLR/ 1/4" combo inputs and doubles as a control surface for your DAW. I love having a physical fader rather than mousing a bunch of em on a screen.:cool:

Lol...I use the Zoom R16...it gives you 8 XLR/ 1/4" combo inputs and doubles as a control surface for your DAW. I love having a physical fader rather than mousing a bunch of em on a screen.:cool:

Wow, cool little unit. What are the pre amps like? I've never been a fan of the sound of Zoom gear. The Tascams are great sounding for the price... I'd say even beyond entry level Jimmys69. I agree with the fader thing though, that's why I've got a Korg NanoKontrol for portable use.

I'm a minimalist--can you guys recommend a USB 8 track (8 xlr's)? a 6 track would also work but idk if they do those.
and are different models compatible with different software? I'd need logic/mac compatible.
I'd be down to spend around 200 bucks if thats attainable. I really dont need anything top of the line, so long its reliable and wouldn't turn my mic's in to audible shit.

I'm not sure you will find anything cheaper than the 1800 with 8 xlr man. Unless you go used. I myself would not risk buying a used interface from a stranger.

I'm a minimalist--can you guys recommend a USB 8 track (8 xlr's)? a 6 track would also work but idk if they do those.
and are different models compatible with different software? I'd need logic/mac compatible.
I'd be down to spend around 200 bucks if thats attainable. I really dont need anything top of the line, so long its reliable and wouldn't turn my mic's in to audible shit.

Tascam also do a US800, which has 6 mic amps, USB and mac/logic compatible. Check out the whole range.

Back