Audio going nuts

NewbMediaGuy

I don't know what is causing my problem, but I am guessing it is something with my M-Audio Delta 1010lt sound card. The best way I can explain what the sound sounds like is like this:
It sounds as if something, a program, the soundcard, who knows, is trying to keep the audio at a constant even level, lowering the volume when music gets too complicated, raising back up when its less. However, it sounds like whatever is trying to do this is doing a terrible job because the volume jumps high and low at random parts through songs.

Short simple sounds such as the windows sounds for "click" when opening the folder and shutting down don't suffer as greatly as music files do, be them stored on my HD or music from a myspace profile, they all sound equally screwed up.

I don't know if this is a sound card problem or something else, I've already uninstalled the sound card a few times but keep getting the same issue after re-installing it, I even tried newer drivers to no success, (by the way, M-Audio drivers suck big ones).

This problem just started a few days ago and I don't remember changing any settings at all, at first I noticed it with a song on my myspace page, but after realizing the file wasn't screwed up I realized ALL my computer sounds are suffering from this problem

Any ideas?

I restored twice, once to a week ago, no audio, once more to a date earlier in the month, still no audio, and then I undid both restores....and still no audio.

I'm going to reinstall the card again later on, and yes I've always had audio, I've only had problems starting during the past week

Anybody wanna buy an M-Audio Delta 1010lt? lol

What is the recording program/application you're using to record and play back with?

That card is a kick ass card. If you're sure it's crap, I'll pay ya crap for it. Just kidding but seriously, I've got 2 LT cards in my #1 machine and have never had an issue with them. Have you tired opening a new project and starting from scratch? I've seen where some programming applications will get something set up in a project and won't release it. Sound like crap and you can't get it back to normal.

Do you have a second card audio card in the machine?

Try opening a new project and importing a known good WAV or MP3 clip. Trying to break it down...as a playback problem or a recording problem.

No, you don't understand, this doesn't happen in a particular program, it happens for ALL audio. It doesn't matter if I'm listening to a song on someone's myspace page, or if I'm listening to an MP3 on my hard drive, I still get the same problems.

I have just restored to an earlier point yet again, tried uninstalling the card and re-installing it, and I'm still having the same problem. I did just remember that my motherboard has an onboard soundcard, (but I've never had conflicting issues between the two), so I could uninstall the Delta card and try using the onboard audio to see if I keep getting the same problems, I just gotta find some pc speakers for that.

Anybody got any more ideas what it could be? I'm tempted to format the drive, but I'll probably take a hammer to this card before I do that lol

One more thing, I've noticed most of the problems get worse anytime their is voice audio, for instance, a song will start playing, and it will sound okay with some minor volume fluctuations, but then the singing starts and the total volume just drops and starts bouncing all over the place.

I just got the game Rise of Nations, and for the most part the audio sounds okay, but as soon as the voice narrator speaks the volume drops and I can barely hear what he says.

I have also noticed that the volume fluctuations seem to occur identically at the same time for each song. I've noticed this mostly with Cypress Hill's "Dr. Greenthumb", which is the song on my myspace profile that I originally noticed the audio issues.

As soon as the song starts with the dude saying "Hello Dr. Greenthumb, paging Dr. Greenthumb", it sounds fine, but right as soon as the bass drum hits the volume takes a dive, and throughout the song the volume fluctuates up and down, and it sounds like there is a slight echo that isn't normally on that song.

Hope that gives more insight into what the problem could be, I don't have the slightest clue, and before you say it, no I am not stoned right now so don't blame that :P

sounds like its busted.

really, i think it could be a hardware problem.

do you have a standard PC soundcard or something? test with that, or onboard sound or whatever to see if you can get regular sounds working.

are you serious or just being sarcastic? I was thinking the same thing but I'm an idiot and don't know much about this stuff lol

I am going to try exactly what you recomend, but I have to connect different speakers because right now...okay don't laugh, I have the 1010lt connected to an old receiver, which is connected to two shelf speakers. They are my wanna-be-monitors :P Anyway, I'm missing a wire to plug in my regular PC speakers so as soon as I can find one I'll try plugging them in because the mobo does have it's own on-board soundcard. It's an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe if it matters.

One thing I did try that I thought might work, was changing the connection to one of the other sets of wires that come from the card, thinking maybe the one it was connected to went bad, but it didn't make any difference changing that around.

nope, not sarcastic.

i would try using the onboard sound, into either your setup, or just standard computer speakers would be fine.

then i would deff. check that reciever setup. with those kinda make-shift monitoring setups, connections and cables are bound to go bad sometimes.

Is this a new situation meaning has this worked for you in the past or are you just now trying to get it installed and working?

I would say ....Re-Install Windows and start from scratch and that will pretty much tell you if it is a hardware problem or a Software problem......

After re-installing windows and re-installing the drivers if it still dosn"t work properly then you know the card is humped but if it does work after re-installing windows then you know that it was a software related problem and you problem would be solved.....

:D

I've never experienced anything like that with my 1010lt. I think Ford Van might be on to something. If you're monitoring thru a stereo receiver, it could have built in compression that's pumping up and down. If that isn't it, I would say that you had to of changed some hardware, software, or system settings recently that is giving you problems.

haha, now I feel like such an idiot. Here I am using this 10 year old receiver and thinking the problem is with my 2 year old computer. I just plugged in a cd player to the receiver and the sound was screwed up so I now know it has nothing to do with my computer or my soundcard.

So you think its the receiver itself, or do I just need new wires? I'm guessing its the receiver, my Onkyo only lasted 13 months >:( , so I'm sure this ancient thing finally kicked the bucket.

NewbMediaGuy said:
haha, now I feel like such an idiot. Here I am using this 10 year old receiver and thinking the problem is with my 2 year old computer. I just plugged in a cd player to the receiver and the sound was screwed up so I now know it has nothing to do with my computer or my soundcard.

So you think its the receiver itself, or do I just need new wires? I'm guessing its the receiver, my Onkyo only lasted 13 months >:( , so I'm sure this ancient thing finally kicked the bucket.

I use a 15 year old JVC receiver to power my ns-10m's.

Check the wires before throwing the receiver out.

Back