Anybody messed with the output jacks on a Tascam BR-20?

seankerns

My trusty BR-20, also my only half track quarter inch machine, has developed an intermittent output on track 2. It cuts out unless I put pressure on it. I tried all the hopeful easy things like cleaning the connectors and trying a different cable, but nothing except holding pressure on it keeps it going. I have it working right now torquing it with a zip tie, but that will only work so long.
I’m hoping maybe it just is a bad solder joint. I plan to dig into it after I do these transfers.

Has anyone dug into these? Is it relatively easy to get to the solder joints on the jack panel?

Thanks.

Sean you’re talking about putting pressure on the plug connected to the output jack? And if so RCA or XLR?

Wait…your BR-20 has no balanced I/O?

Anyway, I suspect a bad solder joint in the jack PCB. Easy fix. They are prone to cracking. The jack contacts themselves in a pin jack to connector don’t usually have problems.

Nope. This is my Dad's old machine. He bought it new, and his entire studio was wired with RCA connectors. It was what he was used to. How hard is that jack PCB to get to?

I have no idea…never torn apart the back of a BR-20…let me see if the exploded views in the service manual reveal anything…

You're not gonna believe this. It does have XLR I/O. There were covers taped over the portions of the panel where the XLR in and out were. Problem solved. I'm just gonna stop using the RCA's.

So it looks like the jack panel mounts to the chassis with maybe 6 or so screws around it’s perimeter. I’m pretty sure you remove those, and the whole panel should pull away from the chassis. And then the RCA jack set is on a single PCB that mounts to the jack panel with a single screw. I suspect there’s enough slack in the cabling to be able to just reflow right there, or worst case you can probably follow the harness back to the motherboard and unplug the jack set and take it completely out. The BR-20 is t a deep deck so things should be pretty easy to get to. You should be able to do all this even if it’s racked.

You're not gonna believe this. It does have XLR I/O. There were covers taped over the portions of the panel where the XLR in and out were. Problem solved. I'm just gonna stop using the RCA's.
Oh okay. Yeah I though all BR-20s had both unbalanced and balanced I/O.

Thanks for checking for me, anyway. If not for that, and your question, I might never have known he covered these over.

I have a Roland JX-1 - years old and I've repaired this fault so many times it's crazy. The stupid design means the weight of the cable, cantilevered out by the plug just does it over and over again. Tiny little pin in a tiny (and now very messy) PCB.

Back