Another Newbie looking for a micrphone

What's with all this double posting ??? LOL When I reply, the website freezes, so I reply again....Website must be acting up.

Glad you got it working, and thanks for the screenshot there earlier, I am at work so I was trying to guess the menus from memory.

As for what steeno was saying, the "drivers" are all that you're selecting when choosing Wave/Asio/WaveRT. If you don't have ASIO right now don't worry it's not something you have to have. It does have less latency if I'm correct though (so doing things like putting the sound of what you have on your mic into your headphones while it's happening so you can hear real time what you're recording). It's possible the mic may come with a driver or the asio driver can always be downloaded off the internet later once you've made it that far.

When your mic comes in you will be going back to the same place and under input device you will select the new mic (once it's plugged in).

They also put you on the right track with where to find the effects, you most likely wont use many of those on your backing tracks (they are already mixed with their own FX and such) but when you start putting vocals on them you will find that an EQ, some compression and maybe a little reverb will make a world of difference in turning a kind of "flat" vocal into something much better. Mixcraft has tons of options by default and even more that you can add as you find out you need them. I'm new to this forum too and so far these guys (and gals) have been fantastic.

Once you get a recording done maybe you can throw it under the MP3 clinic section =), I always love to hear new people.

-polarity

The loading problems here are doing my swede in.
I can write a chorus waiting for the page to load.
Go tell em in the thread I think its in prime time section
maybe they will do something about it

I can't take credit for the screenshot, that's Steenamaroo Honorary Old Fart, lol who posted that, which was a tremendous help for me. Regarding latency and stuff, I've read "a bit" about asio, but haven't given it much more thought than that for right now, but I realize I may have to download it, however, I thought I read somewhere, that due to the fact I will be singing in a usb mic, I won't be able to use headphones to hear myself, so latency may not be a problem. I'm hoping though that I "can" use my headphones to hear myself live as I record over the tracks, but I may have to buy an interface for my xlr BeyerDynamic M88 mic..unless someone in here tells me I can use headphones with a usb mic.
I've noticed in this forum, alot of people are not crazy about usb mics and recording digital, but for me, right now, that's what I want to try. If it doesn't work out, I'll sell the USB Samson G-track, and set myself up for my BeyerDynamic, or buy some kind of xlr condenser mic. I don't want to get into multiple multi-tracking, but rather just my mp3 track and my voice on another.
As for this website, I don't want to ruffle any feathers, so I'm not going to complain to anyone about it freezing up at times lol.

You're right, usb mics don't usually get a great rep or big promotion around here, but most of the time young beginners come in looking for a $50 solution to a $100,000 problem.
Usb mics are advised against because these guys all wan't 'professional' productions, and as well as that, multitrack recording, even stereo recording, becomes a problem once you've committed to a USB mic.

You're prepared to buy something else if it does't work out, but a large percentage of the guys coming through here have 100 bucks and expect to get the perfect gear, first time, for that price.

As you said, a USB mic is just right for what you're doing. Cheap, cheerful, and minimum setup hassle.

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to hear yourself. As far as I know that's a function of the software, not the hardware.
What you read may have been about direct hardware monitoring, and if it was, don't worry about that. :)

A 'normal' amount of latency won't cause any problems, plus most people want to hear a bit of reverb in the cans while they sing anyway.

Thanks Steeno, your help the last few days is very much appreciated, I just wish I would have done my homework before buying stuff. Actually I thought I had done my homework, by listening and watching videos on YouTube, and somehow I got the impression that usb mics were the way of the future and the way to go. Obviously I read wrong, but like you said, for the kind of recording I'll be doing I should (hopefully) be alright. All I want is to record my voice, my guitar, and the mp3 track, so 3 tracks basically. I'm now wondering if I'll be able to add the finished recorded song to the video of me playing live ? Never mind, I don't have to know that right now lol.:facepalm:

I'm now wondering if I'll be able to add the finished recorded song to the video of me playing live ? Never mind, I don't have to know that right now lol.:facepalm:

As long as everything is recorded/filmed against the same foundation, you should be ok.
But you're right, that's down the road a little bit. :)

Just to add on the monitoring it has alot to do with your computer. I have a decent computer (i'm a computer guy) running mixcraft. Nothing special just a quad core 3.2ghz machine, 8gb ram and the basics. I found that if I tried to do software monitoring I could get my latency down to about 6milliseconds before the computer couldnt keep up and I got a robot wierd sound. Since then I've switched over to using an m-audio interface (mobile pre) that can be picked up for about $150. It has 2 mic jacks with phantom power and some other inputs and a great spot for monitoring so that I can hear it real time with no latency. If I go into mixcraft and set the track monitor on I can hear myself real time, post processing I guess (with all effects already done). It doesn't seem to alter the original recording as I can take the effects off after if I choose.

Anyway it sounds like you have ordered what you want and expect what you're going to get. There is nothing wrong with doing this on a budget to be sure, but as steeno said you can't get a $100 fix to a $100,000 problem. (nice quote BTW steeno, I might have to borrow that one from you)

Just checked out your recordings steen, love your voice man. The guitar playing is light years ahead of me all in all I like the sound. keep it going

Thanks guys, you have all given me very valuable advice, which I'll try to remember it all. My computer is just a 3.4gz with 10G's of DDR3 RAM, Hex core(6) with 5400rpm transfer rate.
BTW, I was tinkering with a mp3 track in Mixcraft-6, and the song goes through a few silent beats before getting to the start of the song. For the life of me I can't find a way to trim or cut that silent part at the beginning and end of the song. I figured it out easily on Audacity lol. Still, I really like the look and options Mixcraft has.
My usb mic hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, and if I don't like it, I may be putting it for sale, because after what I've read in here, I should have just purchased an interface, and use my existing BeyerDynamic M88 xlr mic...so if I sell my G-track it'll help pay for an interface and any other stuff I'll need. However, I'm willing to give the usb mic a chance and see what happens from there. Then again, I might find the G-track adequate for my needs.
CHEERS :eatpopcorn:

Last edited:
You basically just select the piece you want to delete. If the track below it is empty just click down there where you want to cut to or from with the left mouse button and hold it then drag it and it should highlight it. Once it's highlighted just hit delete on your keyboard.

Nope, ain't working. What if there is something on the track below (which there isn't at the moment)
I try highlighting by dragging the mouse with the left button down, and it highlights purple, but when I hit delete, it just disappears, but the song still start way ahead of where it should.

Well, the Samson G-track usb mic finally arrived....man it's a heavy beast.
Still trying to figure out how all of this works by just clicking here and there and trying everything I can think of, and getting familiar with the mic, as well as mixcraft 6. Found a decent tutorial, but it it's for the g-track and the Audacity software...so not much help for mixcraft, although there are some similarities. At one point, I got the sound of my voice, the mp3 tracks and my guitar all coming in clean as a whistle, then I went and screwed around with something (don't know what) and I'm back to square one. So at least I know it can be done if set up properly. So I just have to figure that out again, but start taking notes this time. Oh I did figure out how to delete the beginning of an mp3 track where there was just silence, causing me to wait for the song to start. Real easy once I figured it out.
Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know that I have the mic in my possession now, so if you have any advice I'm open to any suggestion(s). The mic came with SONAR LE software, but I haven't installed it....seeing I already purchase Mixcraft 6 and have the free Audacity, i figured I have enough to confuse me already lol.
Later
Ray.

{BUMP}
Anyone ?
I've downloaded asio4all, but still getting latency when using mixcraft, yet I get no latency with audacity. Can't figure this out for the life of me.
I've decided that the way I'd like to record, is to just play the mp3 music track through mixcraft (through my headphones) and sing into a new track in mixcraft, again, through the headphones. Is this feasible, or am I wasting my time trying to figure this out ?
Thanks.
Ray
PS: Losing my patience with it all "very quickly" at this stage of it all. I'm really starting to regret going with a usb mic, (please don't tell me " we told you so")
that won't help matters. Truth is, I've heard some peoples recordings on YouTube using usb mics, and they sounded excellent for the purpose intended. However, I know there's nothing like an xlr condenser mic and interface...but that's not what I have. So can anyone help me out here ?
Thanks again.

Back