Another Newbie looking for a micrphone

Now, I was under the impression from the info I got in this forum, that I would have no problems recording my mp3 Karaoke tracks

In fairness, no one recommended mixcraft (i don't think), but no matter; I don't think there's a problem here......yet. :)

A few websites i looked at say that mixcraft can import mp3s so stick at it.
What happens if you drag the mp3 from its folder into mixcraft? Many DAWS will create a new track for it.

Last edited:
You can definately do MP3.. Instead of doing File Open to find your mp3, try the other menu the sound add sound file and then browse to your mp3. try that out and let me know

POLARITY: You da man, I was trying to get the songs on my pc from "NEW PROJECT OR OPEN PROJECT under FILE. Going to the "SOUND" tab or CRTL-H worked, I can now load one of my mp3's from my pc to mixcraft, however, even though I can see the track is playing, I'm still am not getting any sound through my pc 5.1 sound speakers. Any suggestions ?
I feel better now, that I know at least I can upload an mp3 track without having to convert it to wav etc....
Thanks again, I owe ya a beer. :drunk:

Good stuff...ok. <breathe>

Go to file > Preferences > Sound device, and pick what you're using.

If the asio option is there, click it first.

The latency settings are on that page too for future reference.

LOL taking deep breaths here LOL. I've looked into the mixcraft preferences, and I don't see anything regarding mp3...just midi virtual instruments etc.
There HAS to be in something, somewhere, to get the sound out, cause the mp3 will now load in Mixcraft, I'm just missing the sound. I'm starting to feel a bit more confident, that mixcraft wasn't a bad choice after all, however, I'm not home yet lol.
Thanks for your help.
Ray

For some reason when I get to "sound device" in Mixcraft, I can't move the check to ASIO, it just stays on WaveRT

"Houston, the Eagle has landed" I now have sound. Couldn't get the check onto ASIO, but it went on WAVE, and now I'm getting sound. I don't understand why I had to set it on WAV, to get an MP3 to play. Anyway, this hurdle is crossed, and I'm sure there'll be many more before I'm done.
Oh, and you are correct, nobody did suggest I get Mixcraft, but seeing you were using it, and the fact that I liked the tutorials I saw on YT, I thought it may be the best one for me. So I apologize if I sounded like I was trying to blame someone. The only person to blame is myself...just wanted to clarify that. Thanks again for all your help...all of you.
For now I'm just going to wait for my usb mic to come in, and take it from there. :facepalm:

your getting there man. this is great.
when your done write all this down how you did it for future referance so if the pc crashes big time or any problems occur and you have to reinstall . You will have the info to hand
We all went through something like this to start off. You'll be fine
Gasps a deep breath

I can pick an mp3 from a folder in my pc, load it, and play it back...yes. Don't know if I can record though or change volume settings or eq of the song, as I don't know how to record yet.

Ok, but you can still pick playback and recording hardware, right?

YUP, thanks to you guys lol. VERY MUCH APPRECIATED TOO. You guys must be all great fishermen, cause your patience is outstanding lol.

your getting there man. this is great.
when your done write all this down how you did it for future referance so if the pc crashes big time or any problems occur and you have to reinstall . You will have the info to hand
We all went through something like this to start off. You'll be fine
Gasps a deep breath

No probs dudester. Glad to hear you're getting somewhere.

Just to set your mind at ease, the wave/asio options are nothing to do with formats like wav or mp3.
In the settings context, wave and asio are the names for different types of drivers.

Anyway, as kip says, remember what you did because you'll have to do it again once your USB mic arrives.

If you're keen you could play about with an equaliser on your backing track.
I know you probably won't want to eq the backing tracks in the long run, but it'd get you familiar with the tools and processes you'll be using on your vocals.

If you click where it says 'fx' on your mp3 track (just below the meters), that'll get you into a menu where you can pick an equaliser.

I can't fish for tuppance but i have the patience of a saint ask my wife.

theres lots to learn for you my friend but it's fine take your time if you need to digest what you learn here.
I'm confident that the advice steeno is giving you will eventually greatly improve your recordings
The thing is with this type of software is that unlike most simple playback computer programs is you need to tell it where to get the sound from and where to send it to (routing) and this is what steeno is trying to help you with .

Well I know right now, is that I have a lot of gratitude to you all for helping me. I'll tinker (without saving anything) and see if I can learn something by just clicking away at knobs and faders etc. I will do my best to write down and recall what I've learned here today...cause this is far from over lol.
Thanks again.
Ray

Back