Another Newbie looking for a micrphone

So much to learn, when I first purchased my interface and mic my thought was "Ahh finally, got what I need to get it done right!"QUOTE]

Thats it you have got everything you need. Apply talent here.
I was the same the thing that struck me most is how my ears are developing and changing and able to listen more critically as time goes on.
Experience from doing trials teachs you a lot too.

It took me a solid week before I would even listen back to a full track (vocals or guitar). When you're just playing all the little imperfections dont seem so bad. As soon as you throw that mic on there you hear them loud, clear, and in stereo! As soon as I was able to make myself listen back though it got easier to learn how to do it better for recording. All in all I don't think I'd change my mind on starting up again if I had to but there is definately a serious learning curve.

NOT that I need anymore effects right now, but for future reference, where can I download new ones, and how do I set them up in Mixcraft ?
Some of the songs I'm do, the voice sounds OK, others, not so good. Actually, if I'm to be honest, I really sound like crap LOL. And to think, people use to pay to come and here me sing lol...I owe a lot of people a refund. This is SOOOO much different. This mic will pick up a fly fart at 100 yards. That said, I have a very bassy and mellow voice, and I like to sharpen it as much as I can when I sing. Any suggestions, other than removing bass and adding treble to the eq ?
Thanks again for your help guys.

Where to find them is dependent on what you want to find. What you would search for are VST files. You just drop them into a directory on your computer under mix craft and close the program and reopen. Pretty simple really, the hard part is figuring out the sound you want then finding what matches it.

I will answer all I can but you are pretty much caught up with me now hahah

I will add from this point most I'd the answers will get more vague, it is all about figuring out what sound you are after. The guys on the forum know far more than I will understand but what they like might not be what you like, so answers will vary and be harder to understand. Usually I just remind myself that I am doing this for fun and that helps haha.

Welcome to hell!! No I mean welcome to fun??

That said, I have a very bassy and mellow voice, and I like to sharpen it as much as I can when I sing. Any suggestions, other than removing bass and adding treble to the eq ?

Polarity's right. Most advice from here on it will be vague because it's down to preference, or the specific circumstances.

That said, if you have a bassy voice, you might want to consider backing off the mic a few inches, or even angling it off axis slightly.

The closer you get to a cardioid mic, the more pronounced the proximity effect will be.

Glad you're starting to get somewhere! Good luck. :)

POLARITY~ You have been an incredible help and I truly appreciate your effort to help this poor lost soul lol. In fact, everyone in this thread has been very helpful and I truly am grateful to all.
I actually did a recording this evening, and although it's quite rough, it's tolerable enough for my wife to say "I can hear very clearly the lyrics of the song you're singing now" which was always a complaint hers. Anyway, it's a start and a foot in the right direction.
I was wondering if I can add effects to the voice track "after" it's recorded ? It would be fun to play around with various effect on the vocal to see which was is best. I tried to add effects to the voice track after recording, and it won't do it. Thought maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Thanks again.
Ray :guitar:

Yes you should be able to add them after with no problems, it should be the exact same process. Disarm your track and click the FX box, select the effect you want and the settings, make sure it has a check mark beside it in the list and playback should have it in there.

Thanks buddy. Also, what's the purpose of "arming" a track, you can only arm one at a time....right ?
Also I have uploaded my very first recording in the mp3 mixing clinic. Far from great, (can only work with what God gave me lol) but my wife likes it, so that's all that really all that matters lol. I'm starting to love this mic that I was starting to hate so much...and I really love this mixcraft DAW, soooo many options and effects which should keep me busy for a very long time. Anyway, have yourself a great weekend, and I'll cya on here again very soon.
Later
Ray

Yes you should be able to add them after with no problems, it should be the exact same process. Disarm your track and click the FX box, select the effect you want and the settings, make sure it has a check mark beside it in the list and playback should have it in there.

Last edited:
Arming a track is how you make it ready for recording. You can arm multiple tracks for recording as long as you have multiple inputs. With mine I can arm 2 channels and record both, bigger interfaces hvae more inputs.

Arming a track is how you make it ready for recording. You can arm multiple tracks for recording as long as you have multiple inputs. With mine I can arm 2 channels and record both, bigger interfaces hvae more inputs.

Thanks again, I'll give it another whirl. BTW, what's your first name ?
Ray

William (or Will, Billy or Bill depending on which part of the country I am in).

I'll check out the mp3 clinic in just a sec =) looking forward to it. I haven't had the cahones(sp) yet to post anything, one day I'll work up the nerve.

Re Recording onto UTube

I would reccommend The Samson SPO-1 usb microphone.It's relatively cheap (you can find one on Ebay) but it is a condenser and requires 48 volt phantom power.You can buy a phantom power box for ($19,95) again on Ebay or musicians friend has them new for that price

We use a Samson SPO-1 in master control of my internet radio station for a guest mic and an AT-4033 for the announcer over the board.I will share with all of you that Ascap,BMI and Seezak are really cracking down on performance royalties.So if your recording and playing your own compositions then your in the clear.

If not,then you are leaving yourself open for a copyright infringement.ANY performance even in our church services we broadcast down the line requires meta data to be uploaded for every song fed down the internet,even congregational songs sung in the service thats now in public domain.

I know many of you are gonna snub your nose at this and say we,ve been doing it for years and we haven,t been caught but these licensing agencies are tightening up on these laws.Each copyright infringement carries a fine of $30.000.00

So beware when performing someone elses songs that you don't have a syncrinization license on to perform the song in question.We PAY a service that takes care of this automatically for our station.And it's not like the good ole days anymore.These people want to be payed for you to perform THEIR songs.

I would reccommend The Samson SPO-1 usb microphone.It's relatively cheap (you can find one on Ebay) but it is a condenser and requires 48 volt phantom power.You can buy a phantom power box for ($19,95) again on Ebay or musicians friend has them new for that price

We use a Samson SPO-1 in master control of my internet radio station for a guest mic and an AT-4033 for the announcer over the board.I will share with all of you that Ascap,BMI and Seezak are really cracking down on performance royalties.So if your recording and playing your own compositions then your in the clear.

If not,then you are leaving yourself open for a copyright infringement.ANY performance even in our church services we broadcast down the line requires meta data to be uploaded for every song fed down the internet,even congregational songs sung in the service thats now in public domain.

I know many of you are gonna snub your nose at this and say we,ve been doing it for years and we haven,t been caught but these licensing agencies are tightening up on these laws.Each copyright infringement carries a fine of $30.000.00

So beware when performing someone elses songs that you don't have a syncrinization license on to perform the song in question.We PAY a service that takes care of this automatically for our station.And it's not like the good ole days anymore.These people want to be payed for you to perform THEIR songs.

Thanks for the valuable info on copyrights etc. I do this for fun, with no intent of selling my recordings. I don't see how a person singing (recording) the original artists song is any different than a singer singing in a bar somewhere. If fact, the person singing in the bar is most likely getting paid to entertain, using the original artists material. Which forces me to ask the question, which is worst, the guy singing in a bar or club and getting paid for it, or the home hobbiest who is singing the original artist's song for the mere pleasure of doing so ? Does this mean that in future, if someone is caught singing an artists song while walking down the street, could get charged for infringement ?? Not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just trying to comprehend the logic behind it all. I agree though that if someone is recording someone's material for resale, credit and/or profit, without the original artist's permission, then by all means, they should be held liable and probably charged. How about the people on YouTube (to name 1 website) who upload millions of songs of themselves, just for the pleasure of doing so, with absolutely no intent on ever making a buck on their uploads ? It makes no sense to me. The artist should be flattered that people want to sing their songs...again, as long as it's not for credit, resale or profit.

Regarding the mic suggestion, I purchased a Samson G-Track USB condenser mic, which I'm pretty happy with now....although I realize now, that I maybe should have purchased an xlr condenser mic, but for now, this one will do. I do have a great BeyerDynamic m88 xlr mic, so I may end up buying an interface for that some day and try it. Even though it's not a condenser mic, I think set up properly it would be an excellent mic for recording. Thanks for your sharing your input and advice. Take care.
Ray

Wouldn't that bring about an end to all street busking? unless you performed songs only you had written yourself...
Oh but it was very inspiring reading about how you surpassed all your challenges :) especially since your so ol- wise ;)

Well you got the "old" part right, but I'm still working on the "wise" lol.
Regarding the Performance Royalties Kennyboy37 talks about, I still don't see the harm in singing someone elses songs for NON profit. Once again, if someone is trying to sell music of themselves to the world population, using the original artists music, and getting credit without permission, then I agree, the thief when caught should be fined accordingly, however, singing in bars, or recording "home" cd,s or uploading to sites like YouTube, are no threat to the original artist...once again, they should be flattered others love their music so much, they want to do it themselves (although be it for non-profit purposes) So if this law were really enforced to everyone, there would no longer be any busking anywhere, nor could anyone sing a song out loud in public....it makes no sense. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for infringement protection for the original artist, but don't go after the little guy, he's no major threat to anyone. Look at the internet, there are a bazillion wannabe singers and musicians out there, performing other artists materials...how could they enforce that law there ? Anyway, I just enjoy recording and saving the stuff on cd, so if there's a law against that, then I guess I'm guilty.
As far as the usb mic goes, I'm starting to really like this mic as well as the Mixcraft 6 software. Together they marry up nicely, and I'm starting to realize the power and potential Mixcraft 6 has. I still have an awful lot to learn, but I'm on no deadline here, and have the rest of my "old" life to learn it lol. I also am playing around with Windows Movie Maker, so I'm pretty busy learning all this new language and gizmos. Ok, just ramblin on here saying nothing worthwhile reading so I'll shut up now.
Have a great day.
Ray

Back