Another Mixing Contest: Back By Popular Demand

Whaddyamean "means nothing"? The winner gets a larger e-penis and all the status that goes with it!!!!

I meant that my stupid statement about mowing grass and trimming weeds means nothing. But I'm all for a bigger e-penis! (Will it still be measured in pixels?)

Count me in, for sure. Hopefully Santa is bringing monitors and bass traps!
So did Santa come through? Tell us whatchagot.

I meant that my stupid statement about mowing grass and trimming weeds means nothing. But I'm all for a bigger e-penis! (Will it still be measured in pixels?)
Oh quite the contrary. Your statement set the tone for a fabulous mix-off, complete with smack talk. What better way to start?

Zero, catchy little tune; really nice job on the vocals. Here's a quick mix I did (not that this has anything to do with it but this was first mix using Pro Tools 9). Two Young Lads

Last edited:
Hey Kev,

thanks for the compliments. I always like to do a second mix or an updated mix on the second day, so here it goes:

Two Young Lads v2

I start to notice things I overheard at the end of the previous day,when I have slept over it. So now I adjusted the accoustic guitars, spoken words, vocals and teles a little so they are more balanced to my ears now. I found the teles to be cutting through a little too much when I listened to my mix again today, so those were turned down 2 or 3 dB and I cut back on the 5kHz boost a little. All the other adjustments were in the 0.5 to 1.5 dB range.

Oh, and I panned the whispers about 15% to each side now. I had them panned about 50% and more yesterday and didn't like it. That's why I left them center in the final mix. But a little L/R separation is cool and the whispers still come from the front with that slight panning. I just didn't like the ping pong effect but that doesn't mean you have to abandon the panning idea completely. Now the effect is very subtle, almost unnoticable, but it's still there.

Cheers
Tim

Zero, catchy little tune; really nice job on the vocals. Here's a quick mix I did (not that this has anything to do with it but this was first mix using Pro Tools 9). Two Young Lads

Hey Simman, nice work there! I like how the banjo sits in your mix. I didn't feel like putting it to the front, felt the track needed more of the accoustic guitars, but it sounds good in your mix. Oh, and is that a PT9 built in reverb? I think it sounds real good! Maybe just a tiny little bit too much but that might just be my personal preference. Regarding reverb I'm more on the dry side most of the time.

Cheers
Tim

Last edited:
Tim, Thanks for the feedback. No Pro Tools verbs, they are Lexicon

Last edited:
Thanks for the mixes so far. Sounding good. Sorry about some of the volume inconsistencies. I tried to use Logic's "increase gain" function on quieter tracks like the banjo tracks, and thought it was applying it to the whole track. Apparently it just applied it to one small segment. Same with some of the tele tracks. You'll have to use some volume automation. My bad.

We're up to over 50 downloads now. Hope everyone mixing this will post a mix when finished. It's fun to hear everyone's take on this song.

GZ

Hello,

You guys probably don't see me around here much, but i do tend to stalk some audio forums. After Christmas, i finally got myself set up with an analog setup, so i felt i might try my chops on this mix.

Zero, i LOVE this song. The backround vocals in the chorus are probably my favorite though! I really brought them out in the center, and panned the main vocals 50% L/R with the Left one more low-mid frequencies, and the right one high frequencies. I love the acoustic guitar tracks too. For those i did a similar idea, boosting the highs on one side and lows on the other while lowering the opposite with hard panned L/R for both the mono tracks and the stereo track (which i just treated like two monos).

I decided that the banjo should probably work together with the AG, so i decided to sit them around the same place in the mix, and i think they work together quite well.

This is only the second song of someone else's i've mixed so far, so if you guys would like to give me some advice, it would be much appretiated.

Thanks,
Kenny

http://soundclick.com/kensstuff

Here's a little background on this song. My son and I went to Ireland for 10 days about four years ago. We had a great time driving around Ireland (on the wrong side of the road) seeing the sites, drinking at the local pubs, checking out small towns, listening to folk music, watching rugby, visiting castles and cliffs along the shore. It was a great time. When we got home, he wrote this song and put it to music. We recorded it, and were thinking about putting it on the album, but we were never happy with the spoken word part, and it just kind of got put on the back shelf. Some things never got fixed, like the sudden cut-outs on tele 5 and 6. Not sure how those got there. Can't remember now, it's been so long since we worked on this one. Anyway, we decided not to use it. It's just been sitting around gathering dust, so I thought it might be fun to drag it back out. There are some things that need to be addressed though. If it doesn't sound right, it needs fixing, somehow. That's where YOU, the mix engineer comes in. This ain't one of Greg's songs where you just slide the faders and whallah, mix done. The winner will have to address these issues to get it sounding right.

Hello,

You guys probably don't see me around here much, but i do tend to stalk some audio forums. After Christmas, i finally got myself set up with an analog setup, so i felt i might try my chops on this mix.

Zero, i LOVE this song. The backround vocals in the chorus are probably my favorite though! I really brought them out in the center, and panned the main vocals 50% L/R with the Left one more low-mid frequencies, and the right one high frequencies. I love the acoustic guitar tracks too. For those i did a similar idea, boosting the highs on one side and lows on the other while lowering the opposite with hard panned L/R for both the mono tracks and the stereo track (which i just treated like two monos).

I decided that the banjo should probably work together with the AG, so i decided to sit them around the same place in the mix, and i think they work together quite well.

This is only the second song of someone else's i've mixed so far, so if you guys would like to give me some advice, it would be much appretiated.

Thanks,
Kenny

SoundClick artist: Ken's Stuff - page with MP3 music downloads
Thanks for the mix. Glad you enjoyed the song.

I'm new here, but I downloaded the tracks and If I get some time would love to join the contest =D
Good to have you aboard, mate.

Thanks for the mix.

I'm not planning detailed feedback on every mix. If you want some immediate feedback, send me a PM.

Back