Another Mixing Contest: Back By Popular Demand

MP3 Player SoundClick

Here's my prelim mix.

Great song Zero, my gf gets it stuck in her head all the time....a good sign.

If you have the time maybe you fill us in on the recording phase, what mics, or preamps, or experimenting that you used. Again sounds really good, and I felt an emotional connection to the song, 10X more when found out the story was about you and your son's adventures across the pond! Well written and captured.

Here's my mix.

Two Young Lads.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

To be honest I don't enter these things thinking that I even remotely have a chance of winning. I just like the practice and if you don't mind and have the time I would like to know what you think of my mix and where I might be able to improve.

But, once again this was a very fun project to work on and the song is a really great song to listen to. You are a very talented musician there Guitar Zero.

Have a good one.

Posting my mix later today. Who's judging? Not that it matters, just curious.
I'm judging, and I put out the offer to anyone who wants to help. So far, no one has offered.

Thanks Zero this was fun to mix. I think you did a really nice job with the song.
Thanks. Glad you had fun.

MP3 Player SoundClick

Here's my prelim mix.

Great song Zero, my gf gets it stuck in her head all the time....a good sign.

If you have the time maybe you fill us in on the recording phase, what mics, or preamps, or experimenting that you used. Again sounds really good, and I felt an emotional connection to the song, 10X more when found out the story was about you and your son's adventures across the pond! Well written and captured.

Nice mix! This is going to be tough. All the mixes are getting better and better. Glad your gf likes this one.

It's been so long since we recorded this, I can't remember for sure what we used on everything. What I do remember:
Electric guitar: Fender MIA Tele into Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12, close mic'd with Audix i5, into Atlaspro Juggernaut pre-amp with iron output transformer, apogee rosetta conversion into garage band. Yes, that's right garage band.
Acoustic guitar and Banjo: If I remember correctly the acoustic was recorded with a Pearlman TM-1 and an Oktava MK-012 mic into the juggernaut and a Buzz Elixir pre-amp. Guitar was compressed pretty heavily with an Art Pro VLA tube comp.
Vocals: Pearlman TM-1 into Atlaspro Juggernaut with Nickel output transformer.
The Art, juggernaut, Elixir, and Apogee I no longer have

Here's my mix.

Two Young Lads.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

To be honest I don't enter these things thinking that I even remotely have a chance of winning. I just like the practice and if you don't mind and have the time I would like to know what you think of my mix and where I might be able to improve.

But, once again this was a very fun project to work on and the song is a really great song to listen to. You are a very talented musician there Guitar Zero.

Have a good one.
Thanks for the mix. This is actually really good. I think the spoken word part is a little too quiet. Bass and kick a little quiet, but overall, great spread and balance. This is the best mix I've heard from you.

By the way. My son wrote and played the acoustic and did all the vocals as well as some of the Tele parts. I did the banjo, bass, and the other half of the Tele parts. He's the one with talent. I'm the family hack.

very cool song & great performance! here is my mix:
Two_Young_Lads_mix_v0-14.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

its not perfect & the vox would need some fader-riding here & there, but i enjoyed mixing it!

thx + greetings from germany,
jan
Really good mix. This one's a contender!

Can those of you who posted your songs on Soundclick tell me how to download them? I'm saving all the mixes in a file. Can't figure out how to download from soundclick though.

Here is my Second version. It is a remastered version of the same mix. I thought the other one was too agressive sounding, this one breathes a bit better.

Two Young Lads ver.2

I think everyone has done an awesome job with this song.

Really good mix. This one's a contender!
thx. i'm glad you like it :)

Can those of you who posted your songs on Soundclick tell me how to download them? I'm saving all the mixes in a file. Can't figure out how to download from soundclick though.
if you are using firefox, i think you could download the mp3s with the addon "download helper". just play them back & klick on the addons icon.

Here's my second attempt. Adjusted some levels, panning, compression, and added some limiting to the 2 buss.

Over 75 downloads of the files, only 11 mixes submitted so far. Come on guys, get your mixes posted.

one question: why did you sell the juggernaut & with what did you replace it and why?
Too many buttons for my son to wrap his head around. He wanted to just plug and record. Ended up with Avedis ma5 instead. Plug it in, turn it on, adjust volume, done. juggernaut had like 500 possible combinations of settings.

whats the deadline for this?
I don't know? I guess maybe next weekend we should pick a winner.

Too many buttons for my son to wrap his head around. He wanted to just plug and record. Ended up with Avedis ma5 instead. Plug it in, turn it on, adjust volume, done. juggernaut had like 500 possible combinations of settings
thx. i'm mostly doing mastering (& sometimes mixing), but i also have the avedis on focus, since sometimes i'm recording vox or guitars & the ma5 gets very good critics on GS.

thx. i'm mostly doing mastering (& sometimes mixing), but i also have the avedis on focus, since sometimes i'm recording vox or guitars & the ma5 gets very good critics on GS.
This mix I just posted is summed through a folcrom to a pair of ma5 preamps for make-up gain. The Avedis just sounds good on everything, especially vocals. We didn't have it yet when we recorded this song, but all the songs in my signature were vocals recorded with ma5.

I'll probably have some free time to give some feedback next weekend, too. Even if you don't want me to ;)

Back