Another Mixing Contest: Back By Popular Demand

What number is mine? I vote for it. :D

Wait....................I haven't even downloaded it, yet. Oh well, consider yourselves lucky because I'm confident that mine wouldn've won (if it was the only one submitted). :D :laughings:

ok, voting my own mix doesn't make sense, so i would pick #5 as 1st.
but i think frequency balance is not perfect, since the bass-area is too dominant (& a little bit peaky), but i like the rest (esp. the vox) of this mix most, since it sounds quite natural. so optimizing/decreasing bass-area could help here much to bring out the other instruments & the vox a little bit more. i think then this will turn out very fine.

2nd would be #2:
- frequency balance is quite good
- tambourine could sound a little bit softer

3rd would be #3:
- good frequency balance
- i like how vox & instruments are equalized
- a little bit "phasey"

the decision was quite hard, since each mix had something i liked. good work guys!

Other people are voting for their own mixes, so if you would like to change your vote, I will allow it.

First of all, thank you Guitar Zero for the song to work on and the tips and compliment you gave me on my first mix at it. That is what I really enjoy about doing this more than anything. It has been a real joy to listen to.

From a listeners perspective I choose the top three as:

6 - 1st
4 - 2nd
2 – 3rd

They were all pretty good but these three I just happened to like the best. It was mainly the vocals that had me choose this way.

If you don’t mind, I would like to have your opinion on this new mix. I tried some of the suggestions you tried and my room is never going to be perfect, so just trying to adjust is about the best I will be able to do at this time.

Two Young Lads 2.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Last edited:
Wow, not much happenin around here...I just wanted to drop by and give it a bump as well as some more specific comments than what I gave before. Most of these suggestions are nitpicking but these are my notes after a second listening. Take my comments with a grain of salt though, I'm still wet behind the ears.

Mix 1 - The mix sounds good overall, kick gets a little lost, as I said before something is going on in the high bass/low mids I think it's the guitar or the bass could use a little eq. Banjo volume inconsistent. Tele gets off time towards the end. And is that a hint of autotune i hear on the chorus? maybe I'm hearing things, but I thought I just heard a little formant, if so, I didn't feel like the vocals need it, if not, then maybe I need to get some sleep.

Mix 2 - After another listen I have to agree with what others have said, the vocals don't sit quite right. Kick and bass could be separated a little better. I like the verb on the banjo and I enjoy the clarity of this mix. Also the only mix that fixed the off time Tele at the end.

Mix 3 - Not a terrible mix but too bass heavy, with little kick. AC guitar is a tad muddy and mono. I think the vocals would sound good if they weren't getting lost in the mud. I like the heavy reverb on on the tamb, makes me want to put more verb on the tamb in my mix. Whisper at the end is a little low. Tele is a little too low and off beat at the end. Banjo too low.

Mix 4 - Very nice mix but the bass is just a tad too loud for me, I like the kick though. Vocals are nice and crisp and I kind of like how the BU vocals are sometimes the focus instead of the main vocals. Tele is off time at the end but otherwise sounds good. Banjo is maybe a little low, maybe not, I don't know.

Mix 5 - Very smooth. I like the vocal presence. I think the Tele being off time at the end is my only critique for this one. And the whisper is a little low.

Mix 6 - Very good mix, maybe a tad over-processed or over-compressed or something though. I like the reverb on the AC guitar. Vocals a little too 'verby for me. Tamb gets a little lost sometimes. Banjo is maybe just a tad too loud. Tele sounds good but is off time at the end.

If I may, I'd like to change my vote in an attempt to be more objective.
#1 - Mix 5
#2 - Mix 4
#3 - Mix 2

If you don’t mind, I would like to have your opinion on this new mix. I tried some of the suggestions you tried and my room is never going to be perfect, so just trying to adjust is about the best I will be able to do at this time.

Two Young Lads 2.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

Trump, the mix sounds good, but the vocals, particularly during the singing parts, seem a little thin or comby or something, I'm not sure but I don't like the effect. They're also a little midrangey for me, particularly during the spoken word parts. Whisper is a little quiet maybe could use some compression. Tele sounds good but is off time at the end. Banjo sounds good

And again, great mixes guys and big thanks to guitar zero.

OK, people have had plenty of time to vote. Here's the identity of the finalists, followed by the number of points received. 3 points for first, 2 for second, 1 for third.

Mix Contest voting:
Mix 1: Trumpino II
Mix 2; jlewis IIII
Mix 3: timkroeger II
Mix 4: karumba IIIII IIIII I
Mix 5: simman IIIII I
Mix 6: showstone IIIII IIIII I

Looks like we have a tie for first between karumba and showstone. Simman with a very respectable third place finish. I'll come back later and post my picks. Too busy right now.
Congrats to all for some fine mixes. This was fun. Thanks to all who put it on the line.

Hey Zero, thanks for doing these mix contests they are not only fun, they also provide an invaluable service. Congrats, to everyone selected for the final and a nice job to the winners. Technically, if there were a tie for 1st wouldn't that actually mean I'm second. :p

I'm looking forward to seeing your comments/selection GZ. After all, if this were a "real world" studio scenario, you as the client would have the only opinion that matters. It's your song and the mix(es) needs to meet your expectations.

Congratulations to the final 6! All good mixes. Thanks for the votes...pretty cool. This is the first time I have ever mixed anyone else's material.....wow, what a great chance to learn. I went back and started downloading all the old contests and doing my own mixes. Invaluable mixing clinics....I wish I had a song to contribute right now, I will eventually.....recording a cd for a friend right now. Will definately have a mixing clinic when I have something worthwhile(more than just some acoustic guits and vox) to work with.

Having said that, I am interested in mixing anything I can get my hands on, I figure by the time I have done 50 mixes, I might have a firm grasp of that portion of the craft. Anyone interested in hearing a different spin on their song I appreciate the chance to work with new material.

Thanks to GZ for putting this on. Hats off you sir.

Congrats Showstone, Karumba and Simman. Really good mixes there. I'm just thrilled as could be that I made the cut. Thanks again GZ. It was fun.

JLewis: thanks for the critique on my second mix. It really helps a lot to get advice as I learn this stuff.

So I finally dl this song.

First off, GZ, thank you so much. I absolutely love this song. Your son has a great voice and the performance is awesome. Very inspiring song. The arrangement is wonderful. I really can't say enough good about it. I can just picture me and my son riding down the wrong side of the road. :p:drunk:

I'll post my mix a little later this week. I don't even know if the contest is still going, but I don't care.

Great song. :D

OK, sorry to dig up a dead thread, but my son was home this weekend, so we pulled out the mixes you guys submitted, and gave 'em a listen. His choice (and mine) as the winning mix was ...

Da da... karumba

Talk about anti-climactic

yippiyeah :)
thank you guys! it was fun mixing it. your son has a great voice & the musical performance is very high & the recording quality very good (so mixing is even more fun)!

guitar_zero, btw: i received my API lunch box & the avedis MA-5 last week. i'll test it on weekend if i have some more time.

Back