amp simulator

Same Problem

pdadda said:
I was actually looking into this for a while too. I tried out both the sansamp classic GT2 and classic. The problem I found was with sustained distortion. It would hold for a while, then get a strange digital distortion fizzle and cut off. Almost like there was a gate of some kind. I decided to just get a small amp instead. The issue was much more obvious with the GT2.

I had posted here recently on isolation cabs and such. I borrowed a Sansamp GT2 from a friend's music store, and ended up with the same problem. The clean and gritty sounded good, but the farther you cranked the gain the more buzzy things might end up...and that was with each guitar I tried.

I think that the GT2 is a great tool, but it requires some serious one-on-one time with that device to get what you want out of it.

...on a side-note, my brother works in a music store and got me the Pod XT Live for Christmas. Everyone I know has mixed opinions on the Line 6 stuff, so I can't wait to get started on that one.

-jimbo

rayc said:
Interesting dynamic:
50ish rep point folk = AMPLIDUDE
100+ rep point folk = AMPLIDUD
Does this translate to in the know vs in the doh?
I like tubeliamps myself but then again being an antipodean I'd prefer to refer to a valve amp.

And if rep points had any basis in reality, then what you point out might have some significance. :rolleyes:

I don't know jack about any version of Amplitube or any of the other software modelers, but I do know that I wouldn't pay any attention to some of the blanket generalizations I'm seeing here on either side.

Everything has pros and cons, it's not all either golden or absolute crap.

How about saying here's what I like about it, what I think it does well, or here's why I don't like it, or what I find annoying about it.

Re: the Tonelab

I just want to add that I've heard good things about this unit from those that have them, especially if you're looking for a Vox-type sound.

YMMV. (and I don't care if it is a cliche, it still holds true)

notCardio said:
And if rep points had any basis in reality, then what you point out might have some significance. :rolleyes:

I don't know jack about any version of Amplitube or any of the other software modelers, but I do know that I wouldn't pay any attention to some of the blanket generalizations I'm seeing here on either side.

Everything has pros and cons, it's not all either golden or absolute crap.

How about saying here's what I like about it, what I think it does well, or here's why I don't like it, or what I find annoying about it.

Ok, I like that amplitube has shit loads of knobs to twist. I don't like that it makes my guitar sound like ass. It seriously sounds bad.

To me amplitube sounded worse than any of the digital modelers out there, by far.

WAY too thin sounding...

it has some kind of mid frequency deficiency that can't be fixed with eq (not crappy digital eq anyway). comes across as murky sounding to me.

I couldn't get a good high gain sound with Amplitube, it always gave me this crappy digital distortion in the high end. The rest of the sound is pretty good, but that buzz just renders it useless. The clean tones are pretty good, and I'm a stickler when it comes to that. Plus, on a medium gain, Amplitube is responsive to volume nuances, of which Guitar Rig is incapable.

Modelling has come a long way, but I doubt they'll ever be able to compare with a mic'd amp.

IronFlippy said:
I couldn't get a good high gain sound with Amplitube, it always gave me this crappy digital distortion in the high end. The rest of the sound is pretty good, but that buzz just renders it useless. The clean tones are pretty good, and I'm a stickler when it comes to that. Plus, on a medium gain, Amplitube is responsive to volume nuances, of which Guitar Rig is incapable.

Modelling has come a long way, but I doubt they'll ever be able to compare with a mic'd amp.

This is a very fair assesment. Btw, I never said it's "golden". I said it was the best/closest software modeling available. It's not perfect, and if you're a high gain kinda guy it's not quite gonna do it for you. But the medium gain tones are great. I really do believe that if you can't get a decent tone in that area then you're doing something wrong.

The guy talking about rep points made me laugh so hard I almost choked. All you have to do to have high rep points is give up your life and start posting here like it's a chat room. There are guys here who I've learned a lot from, a guy like Massive Master for instance, who has relatively low rep points compared to the people who just hang here and may or may not know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I gotta say, I've done some searches on some of you who're claiming this software is crap. Without calling any one of you out specifically, if you really believe the tones you're getting are SO much better than what these sims are producing, ha, you're out of your minds.

Also, I have owned many tube amps through the years. I currently own two, a JCM800 and a Boogie MarkIV. Yeah, when I want to record something seriously I will always mic either. But I can get great tone out of ANY sim as well, and I'll use them to lay down ideas, to get different sounds not possible with my amps, or to just jam and have fun.

warrengtype said:
I gotta say, I've done some searches on some of you who're claiming this software is crap. Without calling any one of you out specifically, if you really believe the tones you're getting are SO much better than what these sims are producing, ha, you're out of your minds.

Also, I have owned many tube amps through the years. I currently own two, a JCM800 and a Boogie MarkIV. Yeah, when I want to record something seriously I will always mic either. But I can get great tone out of ANY sim as well, and I'll use them to lay down ideas, to get different sounds not possible with my amps, or to just jam and have fun.

Wow you must really be offended if you took the time to search through people's posts...

And personally, I'd rather mic a shitty amp than use an amp modeler any day. It will always sound more natural and more realistic, even if the tone isn't that great.

warrengtype said:

Lets hear some of your stuff. I already asked you to prove you point but you haven't. Why don't you name names if you're so confident. My Epi VJ and a MetalZone probably sounds better than anything in Amplitube.

jonnyc said:
Lets hear some of your stuff. I already asked you to prove you point but you haven't. Why don't you name names if you're so confident. My Epi VJ and a MetalZone probably sounds better than anything in Amplitube.

Thats one peal I've steered clear of, why does everyone hate it so?

TelePaul said:
Thats one peal I've steered clear of, why does everyone hate it so?

I don't own one but can make one sound pretty good. People hate it because most kids set the gain to max and scoop the mids completely which yields the much coveted bee's in a can sound. :D

Ha, not offended at all! Curious, actually. If someone says something I think sounds good is crap, it's only natural that I'd search out what they think is good. And I'm not singling any one of you out because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Not that any of what I heard was terrible, (well, maybe one was kinda bad) but it wasn't like the friggin shining holy grail of tone either. I heard NOTHING that couldn't be replicated in a sim. Nothing.

You can hear me playing, I think if you click my name it lists a soundclick page I started as my homepage. It's just a couple covers done for fun, and it's not an example of perfect tone either, but it's certainly not bad tone. Not by a long shot.

By the way, it's been confirmed by people who work for IK that Amplitube 2 is being used by the Rolling Stones on their tour. Not exclusively of course, but they do use it some. Mike Rutherford of Genesis is also using it live. But hey, if a couple guys on a home recording website say it's crap well then it must be. Because professionals who make a living playing guitar clearly wouldn't know jack about this kinda stuff.

danny.guitar said:
And personally, I'd rather mic a shitty amp than use an amp modeler any day. It will always sound more natural and more realistic, even if the tone isn't that great.

Go you. Ron Thal aka Bumblefoot smokes every guitar player I've heard on this board put together. And he used Line 6 exclusively for a long time.

warrengtype said:
Ha, not offended at all! Curious, actually. If someone says something I think sounds good is crap, it's only natural that I'd search out what they think is good. And I'm not singling any one of you out because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. Not that any of what I heard was terrible, (well, maybe one was kinda bad) but it wasn't like the friggin shining holy grail of tone either. I heard NOTHING that couldn't be replicated in a sim. Nothing.

You can hear me playing, I think if you click my name it lists a soundclick page I started as my homepage. It's just a couple covers done for fun, and it's not an example of perfect tone either, but it's certainly not bad tone. Not by a long shot.

By the way, it's been confirmed by people who work for IK that Amplitube 2 is being used by the Rolling Stones on their tour. Not exclusively of course, but they do use it some. Mike Rutherford of Genesis is also using it live. But hey, if a couple guys on a home recording website say it's crap well then it must be. Because professionals who make a living playing guitar clearly wouldn't know jack about this kinda stuff.

The heavier distortion really has the nasty amp sim gggsssshhhhhh digital garbage sound I hate so much. You're a good guitar player and of the three I thought Help was by far the most convincing, but I still would never chose those tones over a quality tube amp mic'd up.

I'm really just about done fighting these fights. It seems modeler guys think modelers are great and just don't hear what I'm hearing on almost every sample.

warrengtype said:
Go you. Ron Thal aka Bumblefoot smokes every guitar player I've heard on this board put together. And he used Line 6 exclusively for a long time.

Go him. I personally don't give a shit who uses amp modelers. I'm not them, and I'm not trying to be.

I'm not claiming to be a great guitarist either.

I'm just stating my opinion, that I think Amplitube sounds like ass and I'd rather mic a real amp.

Back