amp simulator

warrengtype said:
You are. The general consensus is that amplitube 2 is the best for tube amp emulation. Not only in sound but also in dynamics.

If you're refering to the first amplitube then I'd agree.

And I must have missed this post. I am referring to the first one, which is the one I tried. I haven't tried the 2nd one.

Markaholic said:
Here is something i did in Amplitube 1 (not 2) and i thought the tone i got HERE was good hi-gain. No eq or anything was added.
Yea, this was about as good as I could get with amplitube. There's still a high mid range buzzing going on. Like I said, the remainder of the sound is good and reacts well to picking technique. The buzz is just part of the distortion algorithm.

jonnyc said:
The heavier distortion really has the nasty amp sim gggsssshhhhhh digital garbage sound I hate so much. You're a good guitar player and of the three I thought Help was by far the most convincing, but I still would never chose those tones over a quality tube amp mic'd up.

I'm really just about done fighting these fights. It seems modeler guys think modelers are great and just don't hear what I'm hearing on almost every sample.

Ha, alright fair enough! Listen, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I have to admit that I'm intensley annoyed by picky people in my personal life. Everyone has that friend, that person who while you're watching a movie that's only OK keeps yelling 'OH MY GOD, THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE EVER IN HISTORY'. Or when you're at a fast food restaurant they're busy complaining, 'THIS TASTES LIKE 2 WEEK OLD WARMED UP DOG CRAP'. Or while hearing a guitar tone that is anything but a tube amp they're all 'THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GORILLA AMP THAT'S BEEN PISSED ON BY ACTUAL FULL GROWN MALE SILVERBACK GORILLAS, THEREBY FRYING THE ELECTRONICS MAKING IT SOUND EVEN WORSE AND STUFF'.

God I hate that. Always with the extreme exageration. Can't they relax and enjoy something for what it is? Does everything always have to be one way and one way only?

Anyway, rant over. My final argument in this is that a good musician will make any amp sound good, simulation or no. And I don't prefer sims over the real thing. I just don't HATE them. I find them to be a lot of fun. And very convenient in certain situations.

I have gotten some good sounds from the Korg PX4d. It also has Bass guitar options, and you don't have to deal with the latency envolved with software.

warrengtype said:
Ha, alright fair enough! Listen, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I have to admit that I'm intensley annoyed by picky people in my personal life. Everyone has that friend, that person who while you're watching a movie that's only OK keeps yelling 'OH MY GOD, THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE EVER IN HISTORY'. Or when you're at a fast food restaurant they're busy complaining, 'THIS TASTES LIKE 2 WEEK OLD WARMED UP DOG CRAP'. Or while hearing a guitar tone that is anything but a tube amp they're all 'THIS SOUNDS LIKE A GORILLA AMP THAT'S BEEN PISSED ON BY ACTUAL FULL GROWN MALE SILVERBACK GORILLAS, THEREBY FRYING THE ELECTRONICS MAKING IT SOUND EVEN WORSE AND STUFF'.

God I hate that. Always with the extreme exageration. Can't they relax and enjoy something for what it is? Does everything always have to be one way and one way only?

Anyway, rant over. My final argument in this is that a good musician will make any amp sound good, simulation or no. And I don't prefer sims over the real thing. I just don't HATE them. I find them to be a lot of fun. And very convenient in certain situations.

Well I will admit that I often use Amplitube over everything else software wise when I need some gritty bass tracks, does a pretty good job on that.

I have no false impressions about rep point value. Just trying to break the stream of steam with an observation verging on something stupid - stupid of me I guess.
I'll use anything that gets me an interesting sound. Recently I used & enjoyed Voxengo Boogiex but I was after something really quite O.T. & mixed it with some outboard effects (see solo in Wah wow With Less wah in the MP3 Mixing Clinic).
If it's a plug in/VST/dig effect it won't sound real BUT it might do what you want it to do & that's the point UNLERSS you're trying to pass something off as something else.
I apologise for my weak humour but also for your humourless response.

I personally don't like modern high gain amps. I get the feeling that most of the guys that bash modelers aren't into that type of amp either. I do use modelers but I don't have expectations of them sounding authentic. They just don't cut it in that respect.........probably never will. I use them to sketch out song ideas and for making noise.

Warrengtype, you don't know what any of us like sound wise unless you ask. Just because you found someone's half baked song using a modeler doesn't mean you know what type of sound they really want. Some guitar sounds that I like include early ZZ Top, early AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, some Dino Jr., The Black Crowes, and SRV. None of which I can mimic in a modeler. Some modelers are acceptable at best for this type of stuff but none do it well and Amplitube does it exceptionally bad. Here's a page with some clips of an amp that I think sounds good: http://mhuss.com/Plexi6V6/page4.html. Listen to the last clip "mellow". Can you get that type of sound out of a modeler? I can't. I've tried. It's dynamic, edgy, and not too much gain. Modelers don't do that. Here's a another page with clips of an amp that I think sounds pretty good: http://www.leftee.net/JTM45.htm Here's one of a modded Valve Jr. that doesn't sound too shabby: http://www.leftee.net/VJ.htm Here's another of a modded valve junior that sounds pretty damn good(click on "play music" and check out #4): http://www.amp-exchange.com/e107_plugins/flashmp3_menu/playmp3.php?Modified amp samples.xspf

Now, when you can pull those types of sounds out of a modeler, I'll shut my mouth. :p Until then, see ya around.

Last edited:
warrengtype said:
I also hate extreme exageration like the guy that said "Amplitube 2 does not suck balls and is very close to emulating a tube amp." I don't have a problem with modelers at all but if you think that Amplitube 2 sounds like a good tube amp then I feel sorry for you. It doesn't even sound like a good solid state amp.

ocnor said:
I also hate extreme exageration like the guy that said "Amplitube 2 does not suck balls and is very close to emulating a tube amp." I don't have a problem with modelers at all but if you think that Amplitube 2 sounds like a good tube amp then I feel sorry for you. It doesn't even sound like a good solid state amp.

Don't be over there having any feelings for me, Nancy. It's downright creepy. Besides, I'm fine. Stop worrying. But thanks for sharing the exact same opinion twice in one thread. The dept of the reduncancy dept would be proud. Seriously, I think you should post again and go for three. I'm almost positive there's some mentally challenged person out there who's missed the prior two.

TravisinFlorida said:
I personally don't like modern high gain amps. I get the feeling that most of the guys that bash modelers aren't into that type of amp either. I do use modelers but I don't have expectations of them sounding authentic. They just don't cut it in that respect.........probably never will. I use them to sketch out song ideas and for making noise.

Warrengtype, you don't know what any of us like sound wise unless you ask. Just because you found someone's half baked song using a modeler doesn't mean you know what type of sound they really want. Some guitar sounds that I like include early ZZ Top, early AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, some Dino Jr., The Black Crowes, and SRV. None of which I can mimic in a modeler. Some modelers are acceptable at best for this type of stuff but none do it well and Amplitube does it exceptionally bad. Here's a page with some clips of an amp that I think sounds good: http://mhuss.com/Plexi6V6/page4.html. Listen to the last clip "mellow". Can you get that type of sound out of a modeler? I can't. I've tried. It's dynamic, edgy, and not too much gain. Modelers don't do that. Here's a another page with clips of an amp that I think sounds pretty good: http://www.leftee.net/JTM45.htm Here's one of a modded Valve Jr. that doesn't sound too shabby: http://www.leftee.net/VJ.htm Here's another of a modded valve junior that sounds pretty damn good(click on "play music" and check out #4): http://www.amp-exchange.com/e107_plugins/flashmp3_menu/playmp3.php?Modified amp samples.xspf

Now, when you can pull those types of sounds out of a modeler, I'll shut my mouth. :p Until then, see ya around.

I think these current software modelers can not only do that type of sound, they downright excel at them. Give me some time and I'll try to whip something up real soon. Thanks for giving the examples.

*A couple real quick examples. Excuse the hum, I did these while sitting in front of my monitor. And these aren't exact copies of the sound you wanted, these are actually presets. I just tried to capture the vibe. (pressed for time)

Mellow: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=600637&songID=4778334

Gain: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=600637&songID=4778338

I'll come back later and do more proper examples when I have more time.

Last edited:
warrengtype said:
Don't be over there having any feelings for me, Nancy. It's downright creepy. Besides, I'm fine. Stop worrying. But thanks for sharing the exact same opinion twice in one thread. The dept of the reduncancy dept would be proud. Seriously, I think you should post again and go for three. I'm almost positive there's some mentally challenged person out there who's missed the prior two.
You are the one repeating yourself like a F***ing commercial for Amplitube. Maybe you and Esteban can get together and sell crappy acoustic guitars and Amplitube as a package deal to unsuspecting newbs.

warrengtype said:
Can't they relax and enjoy something for what it is? Does everything always have to be one way and one way only?
You are the one that seems to think that it has to be one way only. You have attacked everyone that has an opposing view. If I shared the exact same opinion twice in one thread it's because a double dumbass needs to hear it 2 times. It appears that you have me easily beat as far as being redundant goes. You have earned the title "Queen Of Redundancy". Congradulations your majesty.
warrengtype said:
are you going to be recording with a DAW? if so, check out Amplitube 2. you can download the demo from their site.

http://www.amplitube.com/Main.html?prod_AT.php

fully functional for 10 days. i think it's the best for tube amp emulation.
warrengtype said:
You are. The general consensus is that amplitube 2 is the best for tube amp emulation. Not only in sound but also in dynamics.

If you're refering to the first amplitube then I'd agree.
warrengtype said:
Yes he is and yes it does. Amplitube 2 does not suck balls and is very close to emulating a tube amp. It is what it is, stop trying to convince yourself otherwise. I'm speaking of the general consensus on the KVR board.

I'm betting you haven't even tried amplitube 2.

*also, if you have and can't get good tones from it, I'd say it's more user error than anything.
warrengtype said:
You people keep saying AMPLITUBE. Do you even realize I'm talking about Amplitube 2? As in, the second, newer version? Yeah, the old one was crap. But this new one is a completely different beast. Do yourselves a favor and download the demo on the link I provided above.
warrengtype said:
I said it was the best/closest software modeling available.
warrengtype said:
By the way, it's been confirmed by people who work for IK that Amplitube 2 is being used by the Rolling Stones on their tour. Not exclusively of course, but they do use it some. Mike Rutherford of Genesis is also using it live. But hey, if a couple guys on a home recording website say it's crap well then it must be. Because professionals who make a living playing guitar clearly wouldn't know jack about this kinda stuff.

On a lighter note...

I like my Pod XT Live. :)
Granted, I am not the recording gurus you guys are. I played with it all night last night, and I'm real pleased. It'll have to do until I move to a place where I can crank up and record.
The higher gain stuff didn't sound buzzy like the tech21nyc GT2 did. Now, the GT2 had a great clean sound and it reminded me of a silverface Pro Reverb I had once.
The Pod XT Live had convincing overdrive sounds, and adding in the stomp box on some of those made them rather lively.

Anybody else using one of these?

ocnor said:
You are the one that seems to think that it has to be one way only. You have attacked everyone that has an opposing view.

Aw, I'm sowwie. Did my big bad attack hurtie you? And I'm not attacking, I'm defending myself against the onslaught of regular IT'S CRAP BECAUSE THERE'S NO TUBE. NO TUBE BAD. TUBE GOOD. YOU MUST BE DEAF AND A'STUPID.

Me: It sounds great! The closest to tube you can get in software.

You and yours: OH MY GOD, YOUR EARS ARE BROKED.

If I shared the exact same opinion twice in one thread it's because a double dumbass needs to hear it 2 times.

Yes, OCNOR. Heh, OCNOR. Anyway, yeah, you keep telling people your opinion until it changes theirs. Let me know how that works out for you.

It appears that you have me easily beat as far as being redundant goes. You have earned the title "Queen Of Redundancy". Congradulations your majesty.

Oh look at that! You called me queen because I called you nancy! You're certainly original. Just like that whole 'TUBE RULES AND EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS' idea you've got stuck in that head of yours. You're a true trailblazer, my friend.

loveofjazz said:
I like my Pod XT Live. :)
Granted, I am not the recording gurus you guys are. I played with it all night last night, and I'm real pleased. It'll have to do until I move to a place where I can crank up and record.
The higher gain stuff didn't sound buzzy like the tech21nyc GT2 did. Now, the GT2 had a great clean sound and it reminded me of a silverface Pro Reverb I had once.
The Pod XT Live had convincing overdrive sounds, and adding in the stomp box on some of those made them rather lively.

Anybody else using one of these?

Of course! The PODxt is capable of fantastic high gain tones. And you're right, it does it a ton better than Guitar Rig 2.

Have you checked out the demo of the new Revalver MK II yet? It's pretty promising as well.

http://www.alienconnections.com/downloads.htm#ReValverMkII

warrengtype said:

Mellow: Push it into overdrive territory a bit and let's see what happens. It's chimey but definately too clean to hear any real breakup. I'm betting turdville when it starts clipping. :D

Gain: Bring down the gain alot. Hit it hard and let's see. I know it won't do the sag thing and I don't expect it too but I'd like to hear it without a truckload of gain to see if it has any balls.

The 'gain' clip is better than I would have expected, the mellow clip doesn't cut it though. You said these are presets (amplitube 2?) so I'll wait and see what it sounds like with some tweaking.

Thanks for posting your clips Warren.

Last edited:
I am using Adrenalinn 2.1 currently ( soon will be getting Hughes & Kettner Tubeman MKII) though I did experiment with many other modellers.
Here's one short "Vaish" solo I recorded with Amplitube.

http://www.box.net/public/bp4vadk1qz

It wasn't easy to get such mellow solo sound from Amplitube, I did use some Waves vintage-sim comp/EQ plug-ins plus modulation which in the end makes this software solution relatively expensive. I can get similar results with Adrenalinn 2.1 plus Boss OS-2, though I am a bit frustrated with Adrenalinn's extremely limited EQ and Cab options.
Next simul step would be Tubeman preamp=>Adrenalinn for modulation and Delay and probably Palmer speaker simulator.
I agree that modellers can produce some pretty impressive sounds. These warrengytpe's recording are good examples of modellers potential.

Back