Amature recorder

Thanks, Crowsofitz, Its hard to believe I went to DeVry way back when!
1962 issue of Popular Electronics. A name I remember well from the 60's. I did a home correspondence course from RCA Institutes in the 60's and later in the 70's a DeVry correspondence course. Degree in Electronics Engineering in 80's from local college.

Attachments

• devry.jpg
    devry.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 2
I did 16 months with 2 kids working part time at DeVry in Chicago and almost didn't make it. It was so hard Remember the commercial ,'for those of you who don't want to get their hands dirty! I was a laid off steelworker. Then I worked 10 years at Northrop Corp. (Military Electronics) with all the young Engineering geniuses. Some actually were. One young Engineer guy who made 60 plus in 1985 money told me, "the scope doesn't work when I turn it on." I told him he had to plug it in the wall. True story!

Updating to the latest firmware and then doing a full format on an *approved* card are THE important first steps in order to troubleshoot the machine - and hopefully move on to a good experience with it.

I cannot stress this enough.... all users of the Tascam DP-24/32(SD) model porta-studios should take the time to view the Phil Tipping tutorial series on youtube. It's the difference between skinning your knees repeatedly and becoming a master of these recorders. They're great, powerful recorders (I own three) for the money.... and are incredibly intuitive once you get a grasp of the block diagram and signal flow.

You'll also find excellent support here:

Hi....I have a DP24 which is pretty much the same unit but with only 24 tracks and a CD unit. I doubt that your power supply is causing the problem you describe but it's worth getting the correct one for your unit anyway. If you're getting meter activity on your DP32 but no output on your monitor outs or your headphone outs.....there's only 3 reasons I could come up with when experimenting on my unit. Either your monitor selection is not set to "STEREO" (you can see that in the screen when you press your MONITOR button.....or your monitor volume is turned down........or your master slider is also pulled all the way down. I think all of those conditions could cause the DP to see track volume activity but produce no monitor or headphone out. My apology if you've already covered that.

There are 2 other possible reasons....and please don't take offense as none is intended.........but you are sure your monitors are connected to the proper outputs on the back of the DP32 and you're sure you're plugging your headphones into the headphone jack and not the smaller "Remote" jack to it's right?

You keep mentioning that you have the "repair" manual. I assume you mean the User manual right? I'm pretty sure your problem is user oriented.....no offense intended. Hang in there and keep at it. Mark has been giving you EXCELLENT guidance!!!

Mick

Hi....I have a DP24 which is pretty much the same unit but with only 24 tracks and a CD unit. I doubt that your power supply is causing the problem you describe but it's worth getting the correct one for your unit anyway. If you're getting meter activity on your DP32 but no output on your monitor outs or your headphone outs.....there's only 3 reasons I could come up with when experimenting on my unit. Either your monitor selection is not set to "STEREO" (you can see that in the screen when you press your MONITOR button.....or your monitor volume is turned down........or your master slider is also pulled all the way down. I think all of those conditions could cause the DP to see track volume activity but produce no monitor or headphone out. My apology if you've already covered that.

There are 2 other possible reasons....and please don't take offense as none is intended.........but you are sure your monitors are connected to the proper outputs on the back of the DP32 and you're sure you're plugging your headphones into the headphone jack and not the smaller "Remote" jack to it's right?

You keep mentioning that you have the "repair" manual. I assume you mean the User manual right? I'm pretty sure your problem is user oriented.....no offense intended. Hang in there and keep at it. Mark has been giving you EXCELLENT guidance!!!

Mick
I'm just a song writer too, anyway my hobby is, everyday I arrange old songs have about 500 now. I accidently sent one to Mark, sometimes when I transfer a song the cords move but otherwise its just fun I just did W Nelson The Last thing I needed first thing this morning : very hard but a good country blues song You were right it was Pilot error had the speakers connected wrong and I checked it twice. Both of you mentioned it and I checked today for the third time and saw the rca output was unbalanced and noticed the 1/4 phono out so I switched it Thanks (problem is user oriented)

I did 16 months with 2 kids working part time at DeVry in Chicago and almost didn't make it. It was so hard Remember the commercial ,'for those of you who don't want to get their hands dirty! I was a laid off steelworker. Then I worked 10 years at Northrop Corp. (Military Electronics) with all the young Engineering geniuses. Some actually were. One young Engineer guy who made 60 plus in 1985 money told me, "the scope doesn't work when I turn it on." I told him he had to plug it in the wall. True story!
Similar work history and employment in a company doing Military electronics in Massachusetts related to Gen II image intensifier tubes and electronics for night vision googles which I think I remember Litton and ITT were involved with which later maybe became Northrop(?) Military contracts dried up late 70's for our company, got laid off and then spent 25 years in a power utility engineering group working on system transmission and distribution protections until retirement in 2004.

Updating to the latest firmware and then doing a full format on an *approved* card are THE important first steps in order to troubleshoot the machine - and hopefully move on to a good experience with it.

I cannot stress this enough.... all users of the Tascam DP-24/32(SD) model porta-studios should take the time to view the Phil Tipping tutorial series on youtube. It's the difference between skinning your knees repeatedly and becoming a master of these recorders. They're great, powerful recorders (I own three) for the money.... and are incredibly intuitive once you get a grasp of the block diagram and signal flow.

You'll also find excellent support here:

PorterhouseMusic will do and have watched some Tipping Videos. There's still another update 2019 but I will do that later. I got it goin today and tomorrow I will start to record to see were I'm at!​

Back