Amature recorder

Software version may not up to date. It says 1.06 0016 whatever that means If it is not up to date it won't take windows 10. I'm still not sure how to update it yet?
The firmware version may not be up to date, but the machine should function properly for basic recording. The firmware updates generally are fixes for bugs and minor operating improvements. Once you establish that you can record and hear through the headphones maybe then consider performing an update, but it likely won't gain much that you'll notice. The Tascam site does have documentation that gives the firmware history and what the updates do.
Don't get hung up on having Win10. It will do whatever you need to do as did most versions of Windows that preceded it.

Your headphones should work fine.

Just a clarification.... Is the recorder you have the DP-32 with a CD drive or is it the DP-32SD that has no CD drive? The DP-32 was mentioned in you first post and then along the way you had mention the DP-32SD. The firmware updates for each machine I believe may be different, so be sure of which update you download if and when you do this.

And one more thing if you don't mind. What was the date of your purchase on eBay? I'm just a bit curious as to how the ad post was described. Sometimes if an item is sold 'AS IS' it's sometimes considered in a not fully working condition for parts or repair and the seller will usually and clearly state such. If it was sold as a working and it does not work as described when the buyer receives it you would have the right to open a claim to return the unit for a refund (seller pays return shipping) or other remediation such as having the unit repaired at the seller cost.

I actually did an update on my DP 24SD today as I hadn't really checked Tascam's site frequently. The update is done using a USB connection to your computer and copying the updated firmware file to the 'UTILITY' folder that will show in the Windows Explorer as shown in the screenshot image below. There are instructions for the update in the zip file from Tascam's site that includes the firmware.
I also included a screenshot of the file structure for where the track WAV files are located. These WAV files can be copied over to your computers hard drive and imported to a DAW software program if you wished to do further editing.

Attachments

• dp24sd folder.jpg
    dp24sd folder.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 4
  • dp24sd folder song.jpg
    dp24sd folder song.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 4
The firmware version may not be up to date, but the machine should function properly for basic recording. The firmware updates generally are fixes for bugs and minor operating improvements. Once you establish that you can record and hear through the headphones maybe then consider performing an update, but it likely won't gain much that you'll notice. The Tascam site does have documentation that gives the firmware history and what the updates do.
Don't get hung up on having Win10. It will do whatever you need to do as did most versions of Windows that preceded it.

Your headphones should work fine.

Just a clarification.... Is the recorder you have the DP-32 with a CD drive or is it the DP-32SD that has no CD drive? The DP-32 was mentioned in you first post and then along the way you had mention the DP-32SD. The firmware updates for each machine I believe may be different, so be sure of which update you download if and when you do this.

And one more thing if you don't mind. What was the date of your purchase on eBay? I'm just a bit curious as to how the ad post was described. Sometimes if an item is sold 'AS IS' it's sometimes considered in a not fully working condition for parts or repair and the seller will usually and clearly state such. If it was sold as a working and it does not work as described when the buyer receives it you would have the right to open a claim to return the unit for a refund (seller pays return shipping) or other remediation such as having the unit repaired at the seller cost.

I actually did an update on my DP 24SD today as I hadn't really checked Tascam's site frequently. The update is done using a USB connection to your computer and copying the updated firmware file to the 'UTILITY' folder that will show in the Windows Explorer as shown in the screenshot image below. There are instructions for the update in the zip file from Tascam's site that includes the firmware.
I also included a screenshot of the file structure for where the track WAV files are located. These WAV files can be copied over to your computers hard drive and imported to a DAW software program if you wished to do further editing.
no cd drive, I guess Its a newer version. Hope so, any way, tried again to get output through my active monitors and headphones to no avail but it still has track movement up and down on screen. Perplexed. Forget eBay, I already wrestled with them, the insurance and the seller and will never use them again. I learned a terrible lesson what ,as is, is. Seller still says it works! Have update 1.08 from Tascam website in a folder but am not sure how to get it on Tascam. I also bought a usb mini HDMI and its connected. I will work on this next but am still hoping to get headphone audio It would have to probably be somewhere in the Monitor output if there is a problem. I have the repair manual and am at the firmware update location. I will look over your last update advice next, not sure what else to do. Do you play music, Piano or Guitar or? By the by, thank you Sir Arcaxis

If you have audio showing on the VU meters on the main track screen you are close, but seem to be missing something. I tried to figure out what might make my DP-24 not have audio in the headphones but couldn't without really messing up some button presses. I attached a top view of my machine where the faders and knobs are positioned to get output when 'PLAY' is presses and audio showing on the VU meters. Your faders and the knob should be similarly positioned. Also the logo that shows the model you have.
If you can't get audio in the headphones at this point I'm really at a loss.

Ok, it sounds like you have the DP-32SD and the firmware version 1.08 would the correct one. The correct USB to USB mini cable is linked below, not one that has an HDMI connector on the end.

The firmware you downloaded is compressed in a zip file which will need to be unpacked/unzipped to a temporary folder where you can copy the update file to the 'UTILITY' folder in the DP-32SD once you connect it via USB.. I've attached the firmware PDF instructions in this post also.

Attachments

• dp24sd faders knob.jpg
    dp24sd faders knob.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DP-24SD_DP-32SD_FW-Update.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 4
open file in utilities and it was the instructions like you sent me I have been trying to update for an hour now

When you buy on ebay - you generally get 14 days unless the seller specifically says they don't do refunds - seeing no return should be a red flag. You seem to be giving up very easily. You didn't;t request a refund and you haven't pursed the insurance. what do ebay say? Their complaints system is pretty centred on the buyer (as I know from selling).

It's probably user error - so for us to help we need exact and comprehensive details. I did this, I did that, I pushed this then I did this -

However - why not put the SD card in your computer and see if you can get some audio tracks back onto it - you'll need to match the format - so even though you have no mic working record all the tracks with nothing connected, and then when you put the card in the computer, you'll see the empty tracks and you can check to see what format they are - mono/stereo/44.1/48 16/24 bit etc - then create some with the same labelling system, and see if they replay. Generally this is a start - if they play back, that's a 50% hit.

I reckon Mark is thinking like me - you've not done something, or done something odd - XLR mic input, and not some kind of jury rig pile of adaptors? We're guessing really - but these things are pretty reliable.

Last edited:
I have updated 1.08 file in file explorer. Where do I put it to to export to Tascam recorder. The recorder is communicating with my computer. Later after trying to update it still wont monitor and someone somewhere on the forum told me to record a track and send it back to my computer which will read the sdhc card but I don't know how to do that yet. It would tell me the machine is actually recording but I cant monitor it on my recorder. Almost ready to buy new one on time, which I hate to do and still feel a little fatigued from that shot. Some people have no drawbacks, but I can tell it is strong medicine shot to my health system. Perplexed will be my new name. Anyway, Look in previous 'your good ' file?
Just found out the AC adapter that came with my unit is different from the Tascam manual parts list. Manual says do not use any other adapter. Unit came with a Teac Power Supply /PS-P1220E but manual says only use AC adapter assigned to dp32-sd unit which is Part# AC DC Adapter For GPE Golden Profit Electronics LTD. GPE248-120200-Z Mode Power. I just bought one for 12.00 should be here in a few days. Worth a try!

Last edited:
Hi....I have a DP24 which is pretty much the same unit but with only 24 tracks and a CD unit. I doubt that your power supply is causing the problem you describe but it's worth getting the correct one for your unit anyway. If you're getting meter activity on your DP32 but no output on your monitor outs or your headphone outs.....there's only 3 reasons I could come up with when experimenting on my unit. Either your monitor selection is not set to "STEREO" (you can see that in the screen when you press your MONITOR button.....or your monitor volume is turned down........or your master slider is also pulled all the way down. I think all of those conditions could cause the DP to see track volume activity but produce no monitor or headphone out. My apology if you've already covered that.

There are 2 other possible reasons....and please don't take offense as none is intended.........but you are sure your monitors are connected to the proper outputs on the back of the DP32 and you're sure you're plugging your headphones into the headphone jack and not the smaller "Remote" jack to it's right?

You keep mentioning that you have the "repair" manual. I assume you mean the User manual right? I'm pretty sure your problem is user oriented.....no offense intended. Hang in there and keep at it. Mark has been giving you EXCELLENT guidance!!!

Mick

The power supply that came with your DP-32SD is the the one it should use so stick with it and it the one B&H Photo sells for that machine as well as others.....
"The PS-P1220E 12V AC Adapter from Tascam is an AC 100 to 240V power adapter for several Tascam products. It can be used with the following products: Dante Compact Processor Series, SD-20M, DP-32SD, DP-24SD, DP-003SD, US-20x20, US-16x08, US-4x4, DR-680MK2, and TA-1VP devices."

Your DP-32SD powers up OK with the one you have and I would not attempt using the one you ordered. I did a search for 'GPE Golden Profit Electronics LTD. GPE248-120200-Z Mode Power' and at a couple sites it doesn't mention the output voltage or amps or importantly the polarity of the voltage on the connector which if wrong could damage the DP-32SD.

Again you don't need to attempt updating the firmware as that should not affect the lack of audio in the headphones or monitors, but if you insist on trying it follow the PDF instructions included in the firmware zipfile or the PDF attachment I posted step by step. I've attached two screenshots. One is my DP-24SD connected via USB and shows the 'UTILITY' folder where you need to copy and paste or drag the firmware file to. The second image is the zipped firmware file I have stored in a folder and the files that are contained within it and highlighting the firmware file that would be copy/pasted or dragged to the DP32SD 'UTILITY' folder.
If while you have the DP-32SD connected via USB, you can look in the 'MUSIC'> 'SONG' > SONG_0001' for WAV files that you may have recorded while testing.

Mickster also had some good suggestions.

The z.PDF you attached to a post is a pdf of Neil Young's After the Gold Rush. Not sure why you attached this. I do play some of his stuff as well as similar songs from that era.

Hey Mick, there is a service manual for the DP-32SD as well as the DP-24SD if you should want one.........

Attachments

• dp24sd folder.jpg
    dp24sd folder.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 0
  • dp24sd folder firmware update.jpg
    dp24sd folder firmware update.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
1] your monitor selection is not set to "STEREO. It is set to Stereo and was! 2] Monitor level volume knob is set to 12 o'clock and was. or your master slider is also pulled all the way down. 3] master and track faders are up and were. Headphones are in the 1/2 Phono jack an phono jacks from personas speakers to Monitor stereo out.
Changed from stereo out unbalanced rca to speakers / changed to Phono 1/ Jacks balanced output. Assigned track 1 . . . rec button flashing .., levels faders monitor way high hit Record. Meter is moving.
I have earphones and recorded my first track sounds awesome! . . . . . . Thanks Guys Yes!

Headphones are in the 1/2 Phono jack an phono jacks from personas speakers to Monitor stereo out.
Changed from stereo out unbalanced rca to speakers / changed to Phono 1/ Jacks balanced output. Assigned track 1 . . . rec button flashing .., levels faders monitor way high hit Record. Meter is moving.
I have earphones and recorded my first track sounds awesome! . . . . . . Thanks Guys Yes!
Bob, you kinda lost me on your headphone connection. Are saying you had the headphones connected to the RCA jacks on the back (with an adapter?) There is a headphone jack on the left front of the unit where the 1/4" plug of the headphones can and should be plugged in.

Second question about your speakers........ I looked up Persona speakers and these seem to be speakers that need to be hooked up to an amplifier, home theater system, or similar. They 'passive' and need a power amplifier to drive them which the DP-32SD can not. You would need 'active' powered monitors which have their own power amplifier built into it.
You could however use the RCA stereo out of the DP-32SD with RCA cables and connect to an audio input of the amplifier or home theater system to play through the Persona speakers.

Are these the speakers?....... https://www.paradigm.com/en/home-theater-stereo

There is a Presonus brand of active powered monitor speakers I think(?) Similar name?

Good to hear you some sound from the headphones (y) :-)

Bob, you kinda lost me on your headphone connection. Are saying you had the headphones connected to the RCA jacks on the back (with an adapter?) There is a headphone jack on the left front of the unit where the 1/4" plug of the headphones can and should be plugged in.

Second question about your speakers........ I looked up Persona speakers and these seem to be speakers that need to be hooked up to an amplifier, home theater system, or similar. They 'passive' and need a power amplifier to drive them which the DP-32SD can not. You would need 'active' powered monitors which have their own power amplifier built into it.
You could however use the RCA stereo out of the DP-32SD with RCA cables and connect to an audio input of the amplifier or home theater system to play through the Persona speakers.

Are these the speakers?....... https://www.paradigm.com/en/home-theater-stereo

There is a Presonus brand of active powered monitor speakers I think(?) Similar name?

Good to hear you some sound from the headphones (y) :-)
Speakers are active . . . I had a rca to speakers from the unbalanced stereo out dp32sd recorder to the PreSonus rca jacks . changed that to stereo out balanced phono cords to active monitor speakers. Headphones are 1/4 phono guitar cord size to headphone jack on the front of recorder and work fine . I had the wrong hookup on the speakers, I guess also I need to turn up stereo monitor almost all the way up as with the faders because the unit may have a low power problem or may not . All I know is the recording playback sounded good for the first time. Sometimes its something so in your face simple in electronics you don't see it that's why we need this forum. I was so disscusted I almost bought another one on time and I would of hid this in my garage because Kathy, well you know, She would have had a fit. I have to thank you guys, that's why I sent the actual repair manual and Is Mark your actual name. Now I can play and see if i can double track. I have a focusrite Scarlett 616 with drum tracks i made and some music I worked on but always had trouble double tracking; it so complicated that I gave up on . But I may be able to transfer the drums into the dp32sd. That's a whole nother ball game. Dis u get the service manual . . . ? Bob

If the attachment you posted 'z.PDF' was intended to be the service manual, it was the screenshot below. I did get the DP-24SD service manual quite a while back from a site I use frequently........ https://elektrotanya.com/

Sounds like you're all set to have fun now that you've things figured out a bit (y)

Attachments

• z.pdf.jpg
    z.pdf.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 2
If the attachment you posted 'z.PDF' was intended to be the service manual, it was the screenshot below. I did get the DP-24SD service manual quite a while back from a site I use frequently........ https://elektrotanya.com/

Sounds like you're all set to have fun now that you've things figured out a bit (y)
sorry for the mistake but glad you have the manual anyway and yes!

Back