AKG C414 sudden strange noise

ceznov

Hi!

For few days now I've been struggling with some strange noises on my AKG C414B XL II. I haven't change anything, same cable, same interface (RME UCX), same computer. But now there is a strange noise in the background. I attached the mp3 file, pumped the volume so you can hear. It is not a typical electrical noise that I have heard in the past. Have anyone had this problem?

Attachments

• AKG_noise.mp3
    67.3 KB
Moisture. I had a virtually identical noise on one of mine. A night in the boiler cupboard and it never came back. In my case, a change in humidity caused it I think,

British term for the small room that contains the heating gizmo for you house - usually gas, and the small cupboardoften is also where you can put things to keep them warm. Without the boiler, but with a water tank - it's called an airing cupboard. A hot room, where the atmosphere is hot and dry

Moisture. I had a virtually identical noise on one of mine. A night in the boiler cupboard and it never came back. In my case, a change in humidity caused it I think,
I run a dehumidifier in the basement studio I have as from time to time there is quite a bit of moisture down there

It first happened to me when I took a pair of them into a cold damp church - that was fine, but as soon as I put them back in the studio one made the weird noise. After warming it up, it never did it again - I suspect just moisture on the diaphragm shorting out over the insulating ring.

Do you leave your mics out when they aren't being used? If you do then it is a good idea to cover them with a freezer bag or something similar to prevent dust and dirt from collecting on the diaphragm. When you combine contamination with condensation or moisture you get problems like this.

Back