HELP: How to choose voice acting mic based on *my* voice type? See sample file. Male, not a lot of presence, usu needs compressing to beat bkgd noise.

I just wanted to revive this thread briefly to make a correction to something erroneously stated above: The Lewitt 640 TS is, in fact, a stereo microphone. It's stereo, multi-pattern, and can change polar pattern in post-production with the use of their plugin.

From Lewitt's website:

Lewitt said:
The LCT 640 TS works as a traditional multi-pattern microphone, a stereo microphone, and a mic that can change the polar pattern after the fact with its Dual Output Mode.

You can read up about it here: https://www.lewitt-audio.com/microphones/lct-recording/lct-640-ts

I've become quite a big fan of Lewitt as a brand and as a company. I like that they're not just cranking out clones and copies of other mics like most other small/mid-size brands are doing. They're definitely worth consideration as you're shopping for a mic. Now, if only Sweetwater would pick them up as an offered brand, that'd do both parties a lot of favors...

I just wanted to revive this thread briefly to make a correction to something erroneously stated above: The Lewitt 640 TS is, in fact, a stereo microphone. It's stereo, multi-pattern, and can change polar pattern in post-production with the use of their plugin.

From Lewitt's website:

You can read up about it here: https://www.lewitt-audio.com/microphones/lct-recording/lct-640-ts

I've become quite a big fan of Lewitt as a brand and as a company. I like that they're not just cranking out clones and copies of other mics like most other small/mid-size brands are doing. They're definitely worth consideration as you're shopping for a mic. Now, if only Sweetwater would pick them up as an offered brand, that'd do both parties a lot of favors...

Am I wrong in assuming Lewitt 640 TS is using a kind of trick to be working as a stereo mic, and in that being somehow different from "a real stereo microphone"?

The mic is NOT a stereo mic in the usual sense - they are quite clear in their advertising. It is a dual channel microphone. It cannot produce stereo in any of the convention ways as it is just two microphone elements back to back. Their angle to each other is fixed at 180 degrees. By combining them (as all multi-pattern mics do) produces omni, cardioid and fig-8 and while many mics offer you 3,5 or 9 different polar patterns - this can create any between them. It could be considered stereo in perhaps a cathedral where you might want ultra left and ultra right separation for some strange reason. It cannot produce any of the popular stereo mic position techniques. Lewitt explain this on their site, but are careful to say "Stereo capabilities". It's rather like saying the side component of an M/S mic is stereo. You certainly get the width, but nothing at all forwards.

If you want to use them as an adjustable microphone in a stereo recording, you still need two.

The mic is NOT a stereo mic in the usual sense - they are quite clear in their advertising. It is a dual channel microphone. It cannot produce stereo in any of the convention ways as it is just two microphone elements back to back. Their angle to each other is fixed at 180 degrees. By combining them (as all multi-pattern mics do) produces omni, cardioid and fig-8 and while many mics offer you 3,5 or 9 different polar patterns - this can create any between them. It could be considered stereo in perhaps a cathedral where you might want ultra left and ultra right separation for some strange reason. It cannot produce any of the popular stereo mic position techniques. Lewitt explain this on their site, but are careful to say "Stereo capabilities". It's rather like saying the side component of an M/S mic is stereo. You certainly get the width, but nothing at all forwards.

If you want to use them as an adjustable microphone in a stereo recording, you still need two.
Thank you for the explanation!

Back