ADAT XT-20 reads " Cal P9"?

Steve West

My one machine started reading Cal P9 at turn on. It doesn't seem to be hurting the performance any, but I sure would like to know what it means. I replaced the battery as it was only reading .5v, but nothing changed.

Steve

Are you sure it isn't CAL PG? G instead of 9? CAL Pg, maybe?

From my manual:

"This message may appear when you power on the XT20. If the display also reads CAL brAC, there may be something wrong with the battery battery of RAM, or the RAM was accidentally scrambled. If no other error messages occur during operation, and the Interpolation Indicator is not flashing, playbakc and recording are still possilbe. However, do not format and blank tapes on the XT20 until the PG is reset."

A quick google search later, and I found this site:
http://www.tangible-technology.com/adat/hr_adat.html#CAl p9

"My XT indicates "CAl p9" when powering up, what do I do?

Numeric displays aren’t capable of accurately displaying all alpha characters. This particular message may look like “Cal P9,” but it actually is “Cal PG.” PG is the once-a-round pulse generated by a small magnet at the base of the head drum motor. It is used to align timing signals between the head stack and the control track head. When the PG Delay is not set properly, odds are that your XT will indicate that it is performing error correction via the “flashing sunburst.”

You can reset the PG setting by performing the following tasks:

Step Procedure

1 Without a tape in the XT, lift the transport door and shine a flashlight into the unit. Notice the sticker on the back panel, to the right. Next to the field "PG" is a hand-written number — the PG value set by the factory technician. Write this number down.
2 Turn the XT on while holding down track buttons 1 & 7. The display will read "0 SHIP *"
3 Press PITCH UP three times. The display will read "3 P9 dLY *"
Press PLAY, the * will disappear, indicating that the PG Delay diagnostic has been initiated.
4 Press and hold PITCH UP or PITCH DOWN until the PG value agrees with the number written on the sticker inside the unit.
5 Once that value has been reached, press and hold the EJECT button, then press REC to save the PG value. The display will then read "3 P9 dLY *"
6 Press the EJECT button once more and the XT will enter its normal operation mode.
7 Tapes recorded during the time when PG was improperly set should be backed up onto a new tape, AFTER the PG is reset, in order to preserve the audio without errors.

Table Three: Resetting the PG parameters on the Adat XT"

Good luck!
Chris

Back