Acoustic and I

radiorabies

Some of my songs are just me and an acoustic, but I'm wondering what a good way of mixing would be as there are just the two tracks. It sounds awful with one in each speaker. Does anybody think it would be better for me just to record them both in mono together onto one track or mix them to be almost mono mixed in stereo close together? (Does that make any sense?)

radiorabies said:
Some of my songs are just me and an acoustic, but I'm wondering what a good way of mixing would be as there are just the two tracks. It sounds awful with one in each speaker. Does anybody think it would be better for me just to record them both in mono together onto one track or mix them to be almost mono mixed in stereo close together? (Does that make any sense?)

There is certainly something to be said for capturing a live performance of guitar and vocal. I think mono would be better than the "one in each speaker" split with vocal/guitar. Other ideas: Track your guitar in stereo (with two mics) and overdub your vocal in mono. This will widen the stereo sound of the guitar and sound better than mono. Or, you can double your guitar part, panning each one left and right and then overdub your vocal in the middle.

Back