A question for Greg (and anyone else who want's to chime in)

Hmmm, that concerns me. I don't like heavy strings. My 10-46 is as heavy as I go.

Pussy....:D

I think the real deal is that they are stiffer not heavier. I play pretty heavy strings anyhow so it dont bother me. For chord work work you probably wouldn't notice a great deal of difference. As I said some place else here the jury is still out with me. I'm not sure if they are for me but my ear for how strings sound is probably a little more anal than most here....

only one way to find out ........... my prediction is you'll like 'em.
The 'feel' thing mainly applies to bending them which isn't one of your things plus, I don't like heavy string either and I also use 10-46 ....... I really like their feel.
They're not stiff or anything .... they just feel different.

I'm gonna try the cobalts too ..... I bet they're about the same thing and they're cheaper.

The 'feel' thing mainly applies to bending them which isn't one of your things plus, I don't like heavy string either and I also use 10-46 ....... I really like their feel.

I'm gonna try the cobalts too ..... I bet they're about the same thing and they're cheaper.

See the deal is as far as I understand it is that they definitely are stiffer. The allows have a supposed greater tensile strength and so are less inclined to get going. I have not seen any bumph to back that up though. They feel "stiffer" to me...

Pussy....:D
Lol. I don't judge my manhood on the gauge of my strings.

I do bend a lot though. My retarded leads are far more bluesy based than shredtastic. Anyway yeah I'll try them. Can't hurt.

---------- Update ----------

See the deal is as far as I understand it is that they definitely are stiffer. The allows have a supposed greater tensile strength and so are less inclined to get going. I have not seen any bumph to back that up though. They feel "stiffer" to me...

Do they feel one gauge stiffer? If I like 10s, should I try 9s?

Do they feel one gauge stiffer? If I like 10s, should I try 9s?

I would start with the gauge you use now because at least that way you can decide if you like the tone without having to maybe jiggle with the intonation and setup. If you like em consider trying a lighter gauge and maybe do a few tweaks. They are not ridiculously expensive...

To be honest, I've never really noticed a major difference between brand of strings on electric so I've just found a gauge of Balls that I like and stuck to it.

To be honest, I've never really noticed a major difference between brand of strings on electric so I've just found a gauge of Balls that I like and stuck to it.
that's what we're saying ..... I have never noticed much difference between strings ...... these are different.

that's what we're saying ..... I have never noticed much difference between strings ...... these are different.
So, its the D'Adarrio NYXL that you were talking about a few pages back? After I get my new Crimson arrives I might chuck a set of my telcaster

Yes, the NYXLs ...... I haven't tried the Cobalts.

But the NYXLs are different .... the feel different ..... they sound different ...... they don't break and they stay in tune better.

I know Muttley's skeptical based on his luthier skills and I respect his knowledge.

But I'm basing it on 52 years of playing guitar and never feeling like strings mattered much 'till I tried these things.
I'm just not one to go for snake oil products and I laugh at such things.

That said, just 'cause they're different doesn't mean you'll prefer them ......... but for me the differences aren't really subtle ...... I tried to see how long they'd go when I put my second set on and I did almost 30 gigs before I finally had to change them because the intonation was getting so bad.

Like 'em or not, I can't imagine any experienced guitar player not noticing a difference between them and regular strings.

I'm not sceptical. I'm just not sure if they are for me and are any better than what I have always used which incidentally are also D'addario. They are definitely different in feel but seeing as how I buy hundreds of sets of strings at a time I tend to swap them out after a few gigs so the durability thing I cant comment on. I do want to see some more in depth rationale behind the theory but they rarely release that ... I also have the luxury of having a pretty decent guitar tech on call so the staying in tune thing is rarely an issue for me. If they mean remain intonated longer then they should say so. Its a different thing.

I also have the luxury of having a pretty decent guitar tech on call so the staying in tune thing is rarely an issue for me.
lol .......... in my opinion, which I bet you share, the staying in tune thing shouldn't be an issue for any guitar player.
Intonating a guitar is a very simple task that any player should be able to do without even thinking about it and I consider it basic guitar 101 remedial.

Sure, it's a subject that you can get into much more deeply than that but for practical purposes it's a very basic, easy task.

And certainly with the zillions of inexpensive tuners out there the process of tuning is a matter of seconds and easy to do in between songs.

However ..... if I can put a set of strings on and have them almost immediately settle-in and then stay in tune for an entire gig .... maybe needing to be tuned once, if that, the entire night ...... that's something I appreciate even though I don't find retuning a git to be a particularly arduous task.

And I don't break them ..... I used to never break strings but in the last year or so I have started breaking them ..... dunno why ..... and not just the little 'E' either ....... other night I broke a 'D' string! (Regular Slinkies)
If I break an 'E' I might just play the rest of the set without it, enjoying the challenge of making it work.
But there was no doing that with a 'D' gone! :laughings:

And, of course, I don't buy hundreds of strings .... actually my poverty level is such that it's difficult for me to buy the NYXLs but I like them enough that I do when I can.
Last couple of months I haven't been able to but I have a little spare money so I'ma ordering some today.

I played with Gregg for years ...... once with a band out of Tacoma Park, Maryland that was based in Macon, Ga.
A few years later I paid for him to move to Baton Rouge and we put a band together and that went for a couple years ......

He was indeed great and at times I'd look over at him and think, "This must have been what it was like to play with Jimi" ..... Really!
And I'm a huge Jimi fan so I don't say that lightly ..... it was as close as you could get.
When he was into channeling Jimi he was the very best at that ..... I've never heard anyone do it as well.

During those years I was closer to him than anyone and I have many stories I could tell! :D
He did get where he hated the comparisons to Jimi and refused to do it, but in recent years he has loosened up about it and plays some Jimi in his sets again.

As for him not getting more recognition ..... meh, Karma is why ...... I won't say more than that.
But yes, a very good guitarist and showman.

But he did get to play with Michael Jackson ..... Mick Fleetwood ..... when we were in Macon we all hung and played with all the Capricorn artists ..... partied with the Allmans etc. and he continued that for quite a few years so he's had a pretty decent career and a fun life.

Some of my most important musical experiences were with him and, in fact, I'm currently looking for recordings of the Macon based band (Red Hot Chicken) and am amazed at how good a band it was ...... great memories.
I think about those times frequently and Gregg's playing influences me to this day.

Are you talking about the band, Light Years?Gregg, myself and several more B.R. musicians all used to live in that neighborhood behind Bon Marche mall before it went to shit. Those were some good days. We all had gigs every night and slept every day! LOL!

Are you talking about the band, Light Years?Gregg, myself and several more B.R. musicians all used to live in that neighborhood behind Bon Marche mall before it went to shit. Those were some good days. We all had gigs every night and slept every day! LOL!
yeah, the Baton Rouge band was Light Years ...... the Macon band was a few years before that.
I must know you then .... PM me who you are ..... I'm curious ........ and I must have partied with ya'.

And yes, absolutely wonderful years ..... all the gigging you could ask for and women to spare!

lol .......... in my opinion, which I bet you share, the staying in tune thing shouldn't be an issue for any guitar player.
Intonating a guitar is a very simple task that any player should be able to do without even thinking about it and I consider it basic guitar 101 remedial.

The staying in tune and well intonated shouldn't be a problem for any working musician but you'd be amazed at how many really dont want to learn it or do it. I guess they'd rather get on with moving air. Thats fine. Others are anal about it to the point of it affecting how they play... Go figure.

Me I just keep my gear well serviced and plug and play mostly. Life is too short. We all have our freedoms and hang ups it's how we manifest them that counts... at least on the stand. I did a gig with a trumpet player last week and here the weather is going from summer to winter quite rapidly. Before he's even played a note he was fixating on his intonation because of the change in weather. He was fine but to his mind it was all going wrong. He was breaking notes all night cos he was over blowing when he should have just kicked back. Ruined his gig and nearly ruined it for everyone else.

Back