A question for Greg (and anyone else who want's to chime in)

I mostly remember the soundguy pleading with us to turn down!!
:laughings:

I honestly don't remember if the A7's sounded good or not.

I've always had a studio and been good with sound so I'd bet they sounded pretty good ....... but nowadays I find 15's to be too slow and way prefer the transient attack of 10's for bass.
And actually I think a case can be made for 10's on guitar too.

Agreed 100%. 10s for bass kick ass.

I've been using those 70s Marshall 8x10 cabs with my band, but I'm not crazy about them. They look cool as shit, but the sound is kind of...midrangey. They bark and cut, but the low end leaves something to be desired. My 4x12s sound infinitely better. But, I blame the actual speakers themselves. They're some stiff Carvin things. 65 watts each. 8 of them. Stiffness! Not my choice. If it were my own cabs they'd be full of 10" Greenbacks.

I want this:

Celestion Cream 90W 12" Alnico Guitar Speaker | Musician's Friend

While I'm at it .... have you tried the D'Adarrio NYXL strings yet?

You know I'm not a cork-sniffer .... give 'em a try .... I find them worth the money.

I bet that speaker sounds gorgeous.

No haven't tried them yet. I have them in mind though. Every time I go get strings I see them, an I'm like "next time". I have this string club card thing with GC where I get 5 bucks toward strings every month. Basically a free set of Ernies once a month. I still need to go for october, so I'm gonna get em next. They last a long time?

yeah ...... they last a long time ...... I get maybe 4 times as many gigs outta a set.

But .... man, it's hard to describe, but they're actually louder and fatter sounding and they flat-out stay in tune better and settle down quicker.
They even feel a little different somehow ..... I hate that they're pricey but the sound and the extra life have me hooked on the stupid things.

And I HATE that some type of string would have mysterious qualities that have me sounding like a wiccan or something.
But they're pretty bad-ass strings.

yeah ...... they last a long time ...... I get maybe 4 times as many gigs outta a set.

But .... man, it's hard to describe, but they're actually louder and fatter sounding and they flat-out stay in tune better and settle down quicker.
They even feel a little different somehow ..... I hate that they're pricey but the sound and the extra life have me hooked on the stupid things.

And I HATE that some type of string would have mysterious qualities that have me sounding like a wiccan or something.
But they're pretty bad-ass strings.

Haha, awesome. I will definitely try some next. I wonder what guitar I should put them on. Maybe the Hallmark?

the Hallmark would probably reveal their differences and make it easy to decide if you like them or not.

I just put them on my gigging guitars ..... can't afford them for everything ........

the Hallmark would probably reveal their differences and make it easy to decide if you like them or not.

I just put them on my gigging guitars ..... can't afford them for everything ........

Come to think of it, the Hallmark already has it's own inherent super fat kind of sound. Maybe that wouldn't be the best guitar to try them on for that reason alone. My LP is my most trusty weapon of ass destruction, so I think I'll try them on that.

I'm interested in what you think 'bout them.

We shall see! But it's not like I'm an aficionado of guitar stings. As long as the gauge is right I think they're all pretty much the same. But I'm open minded about it. Tuning stability and longevity interest me though.

well, me too.
I've always used whatever was cheapest because I felt the differences were minor at most.

So I'm as surprised as you would be to be paying more for strings.

I'm as skeptical as they come.
I don't believe in UFO's ...... I don't believe in ghosts ...... I don't think the CIA killed Kennedy .... I would never see Jesus in a mold on my refrigerator.

But I pay 60 bucks for a 5 set Pack of these strings.

:facepalm:

that'd be a huge amount of fun ...... I used to play loud ya' know. :D

With Gregg Wright one night he had two 100 watt stacks and I was playing bass thru 4 A7's!!!
Altec Lansing A7 825 Vott Vintage PA 15' LF Speaker Cabinet w 421 No Horn | eBay
...... I ran around 1000 watts into them and that was a LOT for the 70's.

Ah man ...... I do miss it.
Nice to know it all settled in at Greg's house. :D
I didn't know you even knew who GW is. Still the best guitarist I've ever known. I let him borrow one of my Marshall's many years ago after he'd blown his up. It's a shame he never got the recognition he deserved.

Last edited:
I didn't know you even knew who GW is. Still the best guitarist I've ever known. I let him borrow one of my Marshall's many years ago after he'd blown his up. It's a shame he never got the recognition he deserved.
I played with Gregg for years ...... once with a band out of Tacoma Park, Maryland that was based in Macon, Ga.
A few years later I paid for him to move to Baton Rouge and we put a band together and that went for a couple years ......

He was indeed great and at times I'd look over at him and think, "This must have been what it was like to play with Jimi" ..... Really!
And I'm a huge Jimi fan so I don't say that lightly ..... it was as close as you could get.
When he was into channeling Jimi he was the very best at that ..... I've never heard anyone do it as well.

During those years I was closer to him than anyone and I have many stories I could tell! :D
He did get where he hated the comparisons to Jimi and refused to do it, but in recent years he has loosened up about it and plays some Jimi in his sets again.

As for him not getting more recognition ..... meh, Karma is why ...... I won't say more than that.
But yes, a very good guitarist and showman.

But he did get to play with Michael Jackson ..... Mick Fleetwood ..... when we were in Macon we all hung and played with all the Capricorn artists ..... partied with the Allmans etc. and he continued that for quite a few years so he's had a pretty decent career and a fun life.

Some of my most important musical experiences were with him and, in fact, I'm currently looking for recordings of the Macon based band (Red Hot Chicken) and am amazed at how good a band it was ...... great memories.
I think about those times frequently and Gregg's playing influences me to this day.

Last edited:
While I'm at it .... have you tried the D'Adarrio NYXL strings yet?

ooOOOooo new oddball strings :D ill keep an eye out for em thanks :D

must be similar to these ernie ball cobolts,thought these would be snake oil but gave em a shot anyway

Ernie Ball 2721 Cobalt Regular Slinky 10-46 String Set: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

tried a set and absolutely loved em ! (on a tokai H S S) made such a difference i switched over .. had em on the tokai for about a year,tone started going after maybe 7/8 months but there still going strong and no signs of stretching out yet (and i bend like a bastard!) they might be double the price but id be on my 3rd set of regular slinkies by now

tried M-steel too ... might have been a bad set but imo they sound the same as regular slinkies and they died after 2 weeks ...

I played with Gregg for years ...... once with a band out of Tacoma Park, Maryland that was based in Macon, Ga.
A few years later I paid for him to move to Baton Rouge and we put a band together and that went for a couple years ......

He was indeed great and at times I'd look over at him and think, "This must have been what it was like to play with Jimi" ..... Really!
And I'm a huge Jimi fan so I don't say that lightly ..... it was as close as you could get.
When he was into channeling Jimi he was the very best at that ..... I've never heard anyone do it as well.

During those years I was closer to him than anyone and I have many stories I could tell! :D
He did get where he hated the comparisons to Jimi and refused to do it, but in recent years he has loosened up about it and plays some Jimi in his sets again.

As for him not getting more recognition ..... meh, Karma is why ...... I won't say more than that.
But yes, a very good guitarist and showman.

But he did get to play with Michael Jackson ..... Mick Fleetwood ..... when we were in Macon we all hung and played with all the Capricorn artists ..... partied with the Allmans etc. and he continued that for quite a few years so he's had a pretty decent career and a fun life.

Some of my most important musical experiences were with him and, in fact, I'm currently looking for recordings of the Macon based band (Red Hot Chicken) and am amazed at how good a band it was ...... great memories.
I think about those times frequently and Gregg's playing influences me to this day
Great player. Cool you got close to him and played with him.
He still around, or did he pass on?

I got 10 or 12 free sets of NYXLs from Musician's Friend when I bought my Telecaster last year. I have them on all of my electric guitars. They do actually feel a little different. They feel heavy for their gauge, somehow, even on my LP with its shorter scale. I had to reintonate my telecaster after putting them on there (same gauge as previous strings). So there's something different about them, I just can't put my finger on exactly what.

cool Tadpui gonna root a set out and try em they might be monsters! .. the difference between cobolts and regular slinkies is like chalk and cheese,cobolts imo are so much more expressive.Suppose there targeted at metal heads but imo blues players should defo check em out :D

Great player. Cool you got close to him and played with him.
He still around, or did he pass on?
He's doing well I believe ..... he contacted me a year or so two ago about a book we wanted to write and wanted to know if it was OK if I was mentioned in some of the stories from the 70's.
I said it was fine except I didn't want him talking about Misty in Clarksville! :D

In 2012 I was in Baton Rouge for a LMHOF induction and reunion gig with Shotgun Leboa and I saw he was about to pass thru and play Phil Brady's ...... but I was going to be leaving the day before he arrived.

Back