Which set up should I get?

DO NOT! Pay silly money for cable Jay! You can work out the costings yourself...
A 100mtr drum of EXCELLENT quality mic cable will run you about $50. Good quality XLR conns' about $5 apiece and that's being generous. Labour does not figure because those making leads buy a LOT cheaper than that.

The leads you show are ok but!...I am not a fan of moulded plugs (the jack). The cable can crack in the join and you have to fit a new plug, still, ok for now.
The XLR-XLR is a bit weird? It is listed as a "speaker" cable. Now admittedly if you use it from a balanced XLR out (you can't) to XLR in on an active monitor that is technically correct but in fact the cable required is just an XLR MIC cable. And don't go for as short as needed. Modern electronics, especially stuff of the KA6's quality can drive tens of mtr of cable no sweat so give yourself a bit of leeway.

Northants? Yes, a very pretty county and a very verdant town. I count myself very lucky (go 50miles west and it gets very flat and boring in Nor'fuk!). Property here is still quite low cost considering you are but an hour or so from the Smoke or Brum.

Faith? I have none but deeply respect those that do IF they respect me! (as I am sure you do.)

Dave.

I'm having so much fun learning about mic positions today. Watching tons of youtube videos. Just amazing how different the sound can be from the slightest change in position of the mic. Can't wait to get home and get my hands dirty. Play around with all my toys.

About faith I feel the same way Dave. I respect everyone's beliefs, as long as they don't put them on anyone else. It's such a personal thing, it boggles my mind how people think that others should think like them... or believe what they believe.

And kidkage, again, I feel like you do about many Christian views, especially interdemoninational... or even worst intradenominational. I have family outside Shreveport in the sticks. No kidding, each household thinks the other is going to hell because they are different kinds of Baptist. It's laughable to me... almost... it would be laughable if they weren't so serious. I can' only imagine what they thihnk of their long haired, california bred heathen cousin. I was raised in the Christian church but don't really subscribe to a lot of the beliefs the church hands out. I feel as though I'm someone who likes to listen to all the prophets, gurus, etc.

Sikhism has such wonderful tennents. I feel it is a faith of compassion and caring for other humans. Also for the world. I find it very uplifting that gurdwaras care for the community as they do.

I've only been to one gurdwara in London, it's the oldest in Europe I think. Was quite the adventure... I walked in to find out when services were and the only person there was an old guy who only spoke punjabi. We tried our best to communicate. He thought I was there for the free food so he told me to come at 4pm. I ended up staying till the end of the night when the put the book to bed (I'm sure it has a name, but that's what I call it). was super funny too as I had no idea what I was doing, nor knew anyone. I just tried to follow along best I could. I kicked things off by sitting on the girls side. LOL... took about 3 girls to sit on that side before I firgured Oops. The old ladies in the back directed me to the correct side with a little giggle.

I'll stop there... I could go on and on and on and on about all this...

Oh, and I enjoy just about every post you make on facebook. I refrained from hitting the like button on every one, but know I enjoy what you have to share. :)

Last thing. Could your friend not be bothered to dress up for the wedding. :) Ah, to be young again.

Have a good day guys. I'm off to have fun learning more about recording. This is gonna be such a blast of an adventure. Thanks for being part of the fun.

Haha!
That's awesome.

Are we friends on facebook? Are you that Billy Mitchell guy?

P.S. Which friend? lol :p

I sent you a friend request just now. If you could do me a favor and keep my name a secret I would appreciate it. I have 2 identities, one is my 'real' self, the other is jigfresh. You can google me to see why I keep it separate.

Hi everyone, just wanted to update. I got my mics, they are shiny and red. I have xlr cables and a mic stand in the mail. Just waiting on the AI, going with the KA6 as previously mentioned. Money is running short for the time being so monitors will wait a couple months. Other than that, I'm super excited to continue on my home recording adventure.

I guess that's pretty much it for this thread.

Really appreciate the help and I will see everyone around when I have more to share or learn about.

Back