A question for Greg (and anyone else who want's to chime in)

Good review... got to admit that I am kinda curious. I think I'll have to give em a go now, although I've been playing slinkys for years. In fact, aside from a few failed experiements I think I've been mainly playing slinkys for over 20 years! I remember having a little Earnie Ball sticker in the back window of my Nissan when I was 17.

I think there's something to these strings because, let's be real, I'm a hack. I mostly play warp speed and don't care about many of the typical nuances of finer guitar playing. If I can notice these differences, then a good player might notice even more.

You are playing through very good equipment at a hell of a volume though. Maybe I won't notice as much. Saying that, it can't hurt. As I said, I'll give them a crack.

You are playing through very good equipment at a hell of a volume though. Maybe I won't notice as much. Saying that, it can't hurt. As I said, I'll give them a crack.

I gotta go buy new springs for my kick drum pedal today, so I'm gonna grab another set of these strings for my Les Paul. That was the original plan, but I'm playing this SG this weekend for a halloween gig, so it became the test mule. My Les Paul, for me, is probably the finest of the bunch, so I'm eager to try these strings on that thing.

Still on Slinky 10s after changing up from 9s about ten years ago. We play just about every weekend and it's aggressive punk stuff. I also sweat quite a bit because I like to "perform" the songs. :D I look at changing them every three or maybe four gigs as after that I have to start tweaking up the treble and there's an increased risk of popping the "D".

Still on Slinky 10s after changing up from 9s about ten years ago. We play just about every weekend and it's aggressive punk stuff. I also sweat quite a bit because I like to "perform" the songs. :D I look at changing them every three or maybe four gigs as after that I have to start tweaking up the treble and there's an increased risk of popping the "D".

Do you use the same guitar for everything?

I wish I had seen this thread a couple of weeks ago, I would have tried them on my current Tele to see if I like them. I've actually requested that my new guitar is gonna get set up with my current prefered strings. Saying that, there's nothing wrong with the strings I currently use. I'll maybe try these fancy fuckers in a month or so.

Couple of gigs next week that is basically crunch time for current band so after that I'll either be playing live a lot more or recording a lot more (probably the latter). Either way, I'll be keen to try them out.

Have you tried the Hybrid slinkys? They've got the top half of a set of 9s and the bottom half of a set of 10s or 11s. I find them to be a good compromise.

Do you use the same guitar for everything?

Yes, pretty much. I have a coil tap on the bridge pickup of my Yammy SG clone which I bring in for Clash, Jam, Stiff Little Fingers and other stuff with that single coil/ Telecaster edge. The Damn thing weighs thirteen pounds too. You know about it after 70 mins. :D

LOL, Wouldn't you know it? Just practising for Saturday and popped the "D" on a bend! The old girl's trying to tell me something. :laughings:

Yes, pretty much. I have a coil tap on the bridge pickup of my Yammy SG clone which I bring in for Clash, Jam, Stiff Little Fingers and other stuff with that single coil/ Telecaster edge. The Damn thing weighs thirteen pounds too. You know about it after 70 mins. :D

You might like these strings then. I usually use Slinky 10s too, and these NYXL things have a bigger sound to them. I bet they sound awesome through a single coil.

...there not actually that many string making factories in the world,there lots of re branded strings (where a factory sells the strings to uncle bob and uncle bob sells his own brand) so when you see "what brand of strings do you use" threads many people are comparing the same factories strings under a different name...

Curt Mangan makes all their own...and they coil and pack them by hand. The only thing they don't make is the raw wire, but they use a US made wire and it's a high carbon steel wire. Here's a video of their factory.
The company is only just over 10 years old...I got a few sample packs when they first started out, and never looked back. :)
Curt Mangan use to be with Ernie Ball before breaking off to start his own brand of strings.

Here's also a really well done comparison of 3 string brands: Earnie Ball Slinkies, D'Addario XL and Curt Mangan Fusion Matched.

In my somewhat biased opinion...I like how the CM strings have a lot of body, but remain very articulate in the upper end.
The Slinkies are pretty nice, I liked them when I used them in the past, though on some of the samples in the videos, compared to the others they come off too bright for my taste...and the XLs just sound kinda on the dull side in a lot of the samples, though they might be perfect for brighter amps/guitars.

YMMV...etc...etc.

You might like these strings then. I usually use Slinky 10s too, and these NYXL things have a bigger sound to them. I bet they sound awesome through a single coil.

I'd certainly try them out - might be a while though, I have five sets of Ernie Ballsack's to get through. :D

Have you tried the Hybrid slinkys? They've got the top half of a set of 9s and the bottom half of a set of 10s or 11s. I find them to be a good compromise.

I played a guitar with a set of 9s on about a year ago. Now, I'm no bear-fisted bruiser, but the treble strings and the "D" felt like elastic bands under my fingers! I assume I'd get used to them pretty quickly again, though.

I'd certainly try them out - might be a while though, I have five sets of Ernie Ballsack's to get through. :D

I do too. I'm sitting on about a dozen Ballsacks. Wait, that sounds bad. I'm sitting on about a dozen packs of new Ernie Ball sting sets. These NYXLs are pretty cool though, but expensive.

Hey Lt Bob, I'm trying to send you a private message about our collaboration and it says you have exceeded your message limit. You may have to delete some old messages to be able to get new ones.

In my somewhat biased opinion...I like how the CM strings have a lot of body, but remain very articulate in the upper end.

that was a cool vid thanks .. im far from a cork sniffer,the reason i stuck with slinkies for so long is the tone lasts ages,i mean who the hell actually likes changing strings? .. specially on a floyd? ... didn't notice anything in the vid on cleans, but when it got to gain ! .. yeah,i am surprised they have a lot more punch ... on the malmsteeny type riff i did prefer the tone of the slinkies :P ;) ... was a first for me to see ambient mic test! .. yeah defo a vid im gonna nick and repost :D

heres something for ya to chew over,you easily spotted the difference of CM`s (which i will give a shot when i see em) so you will defo notice the difference of cololts ;)

cool thread,had me in stitches :D

Back