A little help

illest1029

Im in need of some help. I need to set up a little studio in my room. So i can can basicly record vocals. I use cooledit for my audio, but what are some other things i would need. Also if i want to hook up some stereo speakers to my computer what would i have to do. I assuming i would have to get some type of mixer, but im not sure. I was told an anolog mixer wouldnt cut it, i would have to get some firewire box that connects to my computer. Is that true? Help would be greatly appreciated.

PS.- I appologize if i posted this in the wrong topic

illest1029 said:
Im in need of some help. I need to set up a little studio in my room. So i can can basicly record vocals. I use cooledit for my audio, but what are some other things i would need. Also if i want to hook up some stereo speakers to my computer what would i have to do. I assuming i would have to get some type of mixer, but im not sure. I was told an anolog mixer wouldnt cut it, i would have to get some firewire box that connects to my computer. Is that true? Help would be greatly appreciated.

PS.- I appologize if i posted this in the wrong topic

*points in general direction of the newbies forum*

Short answer is that you can hook anything up to anything, but if you want to get decent quality, you probably want an audio interface other than the one that came with your machine. You could do that with a USB (cheaper) or FireWire (better) audio interface. There are also PCI audio interfaces available, assuming you aren't using a laptop. That said, PCI is slowly being replaced by newer standards, so I wouldn't buy a high-end PCI audio interface these days.

IIRC, there are some audio mixers with built-in interfaces, which is probably the one someone recommended to you. Might be a good choice if you have the cash and are looking for an all-in-one solution.

You don't necessarily need a mixer if your audio interface has decent preamps. That said, most audio interfaces don't have phantom power, so if you plan to use condenser mics at any point in the future, a mixer is probably a good idea.

There are many, many possible options. Do a search of the board for audio interfaces, mixers, and so on for specific suggestions.

i wuld say if ucan go with protools itsthebest an works all around al u need is protools and a mic an speakers possibly a booth if not another room , plus protools is professional bout 400 on a mic bout 500 for protools an some speakers

Jbangz said:
i wuld say if ucan go with protools itsthebest an works all around al u need is protools and a mic an speakers possibly a booth if not another room , plus protools is professional bout 400 on a mic bout 500 for protools an some speakers

Hmmmmm, yeah, that and a preamp, most likely a compresser, maybe a computer, a keyboard, a mouse, a bunch of other things I didn't put down, oh yeah, the most important thing: knowing how to effectively use all of your equipment, i.e. skills! :D :p

Back