Most Unusual Home Studio

Bobbsy

Boring Old Git
For those of you whose home studios are in a basement or garage or wherever, check THIS one out!

Astronaut Chris Hadfield recorded a version of David Bowie's Space Oddity (appropriately enough) up on the International Space Station. The end credits imply that the vocal and guitar were done live on the ISS with the rest of the backing track done on earth.

In any case, this is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time!

I found the vocal track thin and overly oxygenated.
The ISS needs tons of bass traps, acoustic treatment and possibly a screen door. :D

That was pretty cool, Bob. :thumbs up:

Acoustically you're probably right, Henry. However, in terms of isolation think about the air gap (or is it vacuum gap?) between them and their neighbours!

That is just incredible........definitely the coolest thing I've seen since Felix Baumgartner jumped out of that balloon.

Thanks for sharing :thumbs up:

I'm told he actually recorded a bunch of tracks while in space but this one was the only big video production. I think Audio Fanzine should try for an interview about the technology he used.

Turns out he also did a live show with Barenaked Ladies (alas, the band, not a description of the backing singers) on CBC in Canada, available HERE.

I'd love the full tech details of the "how". I assume that, with the delays involved, they must have fed a click track from space to the lead singer's earplugs.

The really bad part about it all, I bet, is .....

If you get cranky you can't storm out of the studio for a breath of fresh air and come back refreshed. :p

Hmmm....maybe they should send Bieber on a space walk with a leaky suit.

Has the American media been following his triumphant world tour? He's been offending fans and authorities in virtually every country he visits.

Something's not kosher here. It's extremely noisy in spacecraft due to the machinery. How did he get a clean vocal track? :wtf:

Something's not kosher here. It's extremely noisy in spacecraft due to the machinery. How did he get a clean vocal track? :wtf:

in his padded vocal booth they showed pics of? Plus .... how do you know it's noisy everywhere in that station? Been up there? Got recordings of the noise?
I've seen quite a few info vids and science vids from the station ...... never noticed any noise.

Back