Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Something old I recently remixed.
MSR16 Tascam M520 misc outboard gear (nothing fancy)

I like it , but need desperately to get a Hammond laid down on the tune.

This goes back to 1995, and was a live radio broadcast I did - mixed live, straight to a reel to reel at 15ips - this is that tape dubbed to DAT. The only actual analague recording I have I think. There is a sort of rawness to it, but looking back - at best there would have been just 4 compressors and two reverbs.
That was pretty cool. Tight, rockin, and it sounded good.

It was my first live broadcast. Hardly any setup time and very strict time limits, so advert breaks mean I ended up with big cue cards waved in front of the band. Really had a good time, oddly exciting to do!

Hey RFR, I liked Bounce. The vocals had some of that southern rock, Molly Hatchet thing going on. Adding in some B3 should sound great.

BTW, I gave a few other tunes a listen. Hide My Heart sounds good!

Reactions: RFR
Thanks! Three of us sang onto one mic. It was really fun. The album is hopefully gonna be released on cassette soon. 10 songs in total I think.

I had a lot of fun with this. Vocals and bass were tracked on the TSR-8, and for the transferred to the MX-80 for the final mixdown. The 'crowd' effect at the end had some of the voices recorded with varispeed to give more variety. I ended up using 5 tracks on the TSR-8 just for the voices and had to sub-mix them to a stereo pair with the hysterical-sounding one on a third track so I could fade them in and out as needed. Mixdown was done on the A807 in three sections which were spliced together.

I will probably rerecord the verses and some of the chorus vocals later, but I think it worked pretty well as a first go.

I had a lot of fun with this. Vocals and bass were tracked on the TSR-8, and for the transferred to the MX-80 for the final mixdown. The 'crowd' effect at the end had some of the voices recorded with varispeed to give more variety. I ended up using 5 tracks on the TSR-8 just for the voices and had to sub-mix them to a stereo pair with the hysterical-sounding one on a third track so I could fade them in and out as needed. Mixdown was done on the A807 in three sections which were spliced together.

I will probably rerecord the verses and some of the chorus vocals later, but I think it worked pretty well as a first go.
Wow.

Here is a cover I tracked of Tommy TuTone after I bought a bunch of decent outboard gear cheap (relatively) in the early/mid 2000’s and after I got everything I needed, had to learn how to work it, including what mics where for each instrument, treatment, board, busses, etc. So I adjusted, positioned, recorded and tracked each part myself to a song I still love and was really familiar with and began the learning process of an outboard setup (aside from 8 track cassettes I’d made previously on Tascam 488 II). Never got to do a final mix and processing but did a rough mixdown to TASCAM 22 1/4” from a Mackie 24.8 tracked onto an HD24, some Joemeek gear, Lexicon PCM units, and a bunch of OC703 panels in various places. Analog outboard chain and mixing but tracked to the HD24. Zero monitors, only meter bridges and using my ears. I’ll do a better mix one day but couldn’t then because divorce was imminent after tracking everything….in retrospect, probably from all of the money and time spent on/in the studio and not on my ex lol. Shit like that happens sometimes

This was a basic 12 bar original I used when I got the 488 II. Recorded in proper studios with a few bands and on cheap 4-tracks not knowing what the hell I was doing, but the 488 and this recording is when I started trying to actually learn tracking and mixing, not just playing and hitting record

A song about a very confused dragon hunter. This was recorded on an Otari MX-80, with the vocals, bass, guitar and transistor organ tracked on the TSR-8 and dubbed over to the 24-track afterwards.
The string machine was the new Solina desktop module from Behringer. Other synths used include Reface CP, Moog Voyager, Oberheim OB-X8, Korg N1R, Ahlborn Archive, Alesis DM10, Hammond XM-1 and probably a couple of others I forgot.

Back