Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

Hi guys, its been a while since I last posted something here.

I've been recording some basic live performances and posting on Youtube. Its been roughly a year since I could get me a TASCAM 414 and all of the latest posts I uploaded there have been recorded using it.

This particular one have been mixed using the EQ of the TASCAM and a delay pedal. The only digital element is the limiter I used on Studio One when I "exported" the tape mix to the interface.

Anyway, hope to post more stuff soon.

Here is the link:

Hope to hear your thoughts about it.

Hi guys, its been a while since I last posted something here.

I've been recording some basic live performances and posting on Youtube. Its been roughly a year since I could get me a TASCAM 414 and all of the latest posts I uploaded there have been recorded using it.

This particular one have been mixed using the EQ of the TASCAM and a delay pedal. The only digital element is the limiter I used on Studio One when I "exported" the tape mix to the interface.

Anyway, hope to post more stuff soon.

Here is the link:

Hope to hear your thoughts about it.

Nice one! The vocal could maybe use some subtle compression, LA-2A style, just to help keep it over the guitar. I'm not a guitarist, but I'm guessing it's the pick attack (?) on the guitar that's a bit harsh? How is the guitar recorded -- pickup or mic? If it's a mic, maybe play with positioning a bit?

Thanks for your considerations, SR!

Unfortunately, I dont have any outboard compressor, and I wanted to try to avoid any digital processing, just for fun, so, in that case I could have just turned the vocals up a bit.

The guitar was recorded using a Shure SM57 just below the camera view, pointing at the sound hole. I turned the EQ up a bit on the "High" frequencies (I dont know extacly which frequency it boosts). Maybe that was not necessary!!!

Seeing as we've been talking about this, and seeing as I've just stumbled out of another Lonely Few live to two track recording session here is one of the results.

Fast Food - a song about how the industry has our best interests at heart...

Recorded via the Studer 089 to the Revox PR99 two track 1/4" with all of us in the same room with no effects or compressors using a bunch of old mikes including an AKG C414B-ULS, AKG D190, AKG D112, EV RE10, EV RE11, EV PL6 (x2) EV RE200 and a Sennheiser e606. No di's or AD conversions during recording as usual. Oh, and a megaphone.

Mastered (if you can call it that) to the Nagra 1/4" full track mono recorder through a few bits of outboard and digitized to a 320 kb mp3 via a 48kHz/24 bit .BWF made on the Fostex CR500 master recorder from the Nagra's playback head as it was being mastered...

http://www.mp3.com.au/Forms/MediaView.aspx?MediaId=137080

With a bit of luck, we might get this thread as a sticky?

G
Here is my version of Tomorrow never knows which I recorded on a Tascam 1/2” 8 track. I flipped the tape reels to get the backwards guitar track.

Here is another TEAC 3340 track. This track is an improvisation where me and my friend improvised two tracks then rewound the tape and immediately recorded the other two tracks.

Okay, this is a thing:

Tracking was done on the Otari MX80, with the vocals being recorded on a TSR-8 first and then copied to the 24-track. Mixing was done on 1/4" in two parts, with a razor edit to join them.
I may add bass and possibly electric guitar in a later version, but for now I just wanted to get a version the thing out there.

The dialogue clips of the two characters arguing were extracted from my Skyrim video "Saving Private Dragon". Owing to an accident while tracking that I ended up wiping the start of the subsequent verse, and had to fly that back in from the TSR-8. The oscillator sync lead was done with an Oberheim OB-X8 which up to now has mostly been doing Rush impressions.

The spoken verses were tracked with the TSR-8 speeded up to give a slightly more draconic sound to them when played back at normal speed (the dragon voices in Skyrim appear to be around 10-15% slow)

curious to hear people’s opinion on my novice recordings right here. just used a tascam 244 with an alesis microverb 4 tape delay on guitars, with the same mxl 9000 mic on them and drums. single mic drum track, DI bass, and double tracked guitars without any metronome used. i actually tracked guitars first. no bounces.

Attachments

• finaldemo2.mp3
    2.6 MB
Back