My remake of Bluesbreakers "Hideaway"

I listened to the Bluesbreakers with Clapton album soon after I started playing guitar, and this track called Hideaway especially just blew me away! I never really learned how to play it however, so now I kind of did, and recorded it. It's not really an artistic thing where I reinterpret it and go my own direction, just an exercise to learn Clapton's riffs!

How is the mix sounding? I kind of think the bass is not quite right...

Any comments appreciated!

https://www.facebook.com/garystunes

I listened to the Bluesbreakers with Clapton album soon after I started playing guitar, and this track called Hideaway especially just blew me away! I never really learned how to play it however, so now I kind of did, and recorded it. It's not really an artistic thing where I reinterpret it and go my own direction, just an exercise to learn Clapton's riffs!

How is the mix sounding? I kind of think the bass is not quite right...
I didn't go back to the original (nor haven't heard it in a long while..) But my initial reaction was yeah bass- seemed like too sustained' or legato where it might like shorter notes. The feel would (could) be opened up and would move along with a bit more of the shuffle bounce. Can't really tell if the drums are in there in a way that allows that groove - (i.e, enough swing'?

I didn't go back to the original (nor haven't heard it in a long while..) But my initial reaction was yeah bass- seemed like too sustained' or legato where it might like shorter notes. The feel would (could) be opened up and would move along with a bit more of the shuffle bounce. Can't really tell if the drums are in there in a way that allows that groove - (i.e, enough swing'?

I was trying to do the chromatic kind of "walking bass" or something... maybe need to redo it. Thanks!

I was trying to do the chromatic kind of "walking bass" or something... maybe need to redo it. Thanks!

I'm often messing with compressor attack/release times, transient designer' plugs etc playing with the shape of the bass or kick, juggling their interactions -to a fault maybe :) It's certainly not in the realm of right or wrong', but very intriguing how it can play with the feel on a track.

I'm often messing with compressor attack/release times, transient designer' plugs etc playing with the shape of the bass or kick, juggling their interactions -to a fault maybe :) It's certainly not in the realm of right or wrong', but very intriguing how it can play with the feel on a track.

Bass seems like a simple thing, but I always struggle with it... Often in my mixes it's hard to tell what note is being played, and it sound like kind of undefined rumbling. I'm always messing with eq and compression on the bass, but could also be due to my not playing the bass correctly. :-)

This sounds pretty good to me. For the bass, I would try re-tracking it and playing it palm-muted, to get more of a Dung than a Duuuuuuuuuuuung sound.

Nice playing though. Brought back some memories. Haven't heard that in a long time. :thumbs up:

Back