Monitor Speaker Position

Anyway, I have a similar question. I don't have monitor stands, so would it be in my best interest to tilt them back so they line up with my ears?

I think I need to do something for the hearing impaired. You know. Those of us whose hearing isn't very good in one ear? My left ear is fine. My right ear is horrid -- recruits upper bass, and scoops mids. There are no rules. You start making up stuff as you go along. Whatever works. If the results sound good to third parties (I usually send the mixes to people I know) then it is good.

My monitors are at the proper height. The volume on the left side I have set lower than the right. The speakers are also not angled the same. Yes I know one of you would sit and say it's unbalanced. To me it doesn't. What I do is use the pink noise generator in the DAW and find center and adjust volumes until the center is where I'm sitting.I also run the output to the monitors through a stereo GEQ and adjust to compensate for the bad freqs. Then I'll check it with a classical CD and see if the orchestra sounds balanced. Then a string quartet and listen to hear if that sounds balanced. I know they say to use your ears to mix, but sometimes you've got to use the meters too. I don't know what else to do. Eventually I won't be able to cover it up.

Yeah...that's cool to balance it for YOUR hearing....sort of like one does in the car....
...but what happens when you play your mixes for others, or do you record just for yourself and don't plan on putting your mixes out for others?

Don't we ALL do it for our own hearing Miro? We give it what we've got and then see what someone else makes of it. Everyone will tell you what it sounds like *to them*. In this case JB has an impairment that he is aware of and tries to compensate. Would be interesting to hear some of his work...

That's not the consideration here...:D

He's talking about being severely impaired in one ear, and adjusting the balance so it sounds centered to him.

I mean...you can get philosophical about it with the "I mix for me" view (we all do)...:)...but if the mix is balanced for him, it's going to lean quite a bit to one side for others and have some strange EQ.

That's why I asked if he was just recording for his own use or for an audience too. ;)
I"m not saying he has to concern himself...but the point is, the way he hears the mix will be quite skewed to others...and yeah, even if we mix from our own perspectives, there is a certain amount of translation that we want to have to other ears so that our mix "vision" is heard the way we wanted it...don't you agree?

I'm not saying he sould give up...but that it was just a consideration he might want to have about the mix...or not.

You may take high-midrange star in the curve so that it can be quite harsh on the ear, and there is not much leg at all. I remember some engineers using a sub-woofer, but many.we not looking for more pleasant experience for our ears, we want an accurate tool that will help us make the right decisions, but at the same time not give us ear after an hour surveillance.

a bot that can't speak english ....... charmimg

Just joined the HS80M club... there must be something better coming out because everyone across the country has these on special... but I couldnt resist the temptatoin...

Back