Monitor Speaker Position

Tweeters are very directional. As the frequency goes up, the dispersion decreases. By toeing them in to where they're pointed at you, you finally heard a flatter response and more high end - it's that simple. If you toe in any speaker so that the tweeter is more or less pointed at you, you'll get more accurate sound. Duh !
yep but one caveat ...... there ARE speakers designed to not be aimed at your head and they can be a bit too bright if you aim them there.
Perhaps that's more in audiophile stuff but the lobes of dispersion from that tweeter are sometimes taken into account during a speakers design and they'll voice it to be heard off-axis.
So it's not ALWAYS the case with every speaker there is that on-axis is the most accurate spot.

Its cool, I wasnt chasing a ghost, and I knew there would be some justification for it. I dont suggest we work on cheap computer speakers in a makeshift basement studio although my situation isn't a big step up from that. The monitor speakers I use are DB Technologies L160 which are dual 5" - they dont actually have a tweeter as such. I am considering the Yamaha HS80M unless anyone has any reason why not... I don't mind the L160s, or at least I didnt, but I am catching a fever from this discussion that is pushing my boundaries of satisfaction.

At this time, a more expensive studio would probably be wasted on my abilities to produce a good recording. I did the following randomly-chosen song last night, took about 3 hours from decision to final mix. I am no singer but I didnt have to apply pitch correction (at least I don't think I did) although ProChannel's equalizer and compressor are standard equipment...

The minor third artifact in the fadeout is from the cymbal... weird

Leave The Pieces

yep but one caveat ...... there ARE speakers designed to not be aimed at your head and they can be a bit too bright if you aim them there.

So it's not ALWAYS the case with every speaker there is that on-axis is the most accurate spot.

Right...and that's the "personal taste" adjustment I was alluding to in my posts and in the 3 different layouts I showed.
I personally don't like the in-your-face, hyped sound all the time when I'm mixing, so I aim them right behind me, by just a few degrees/inches...
...but that's a lot more subtle than having them say..8' apart and turned way in, with you sitting practically in-between them. It's just an odd way to listen to them, even if you do sit equally between them... and I still say it screws up the image, especially the phantom center.

I'm arguing with idiots.

In the Internet age, no one uses their own brains for themselves anymore.

Fuck this.

G.

Yeah...I'm an idiot, Harvey is an idiot, all those studio designers are idiots, and all the engineers that follow the equilateral triangle setup are idiots... :rolleyes:

Nice comeback.

So much for all those "thousands" that subscribe to your view that distance and angles don't matter as long as you're equally in-between them. They must be living in a parallel universe.

When you have nothing to say...insult the opposition and then leave the room. :laughings:
Watch that door.... ;)

Miro wins.

What did I win?
I always wanted to vacation in Hawaii. :)

Hey...I wasn't trying to "win"...but Glen has a tough time conceding even the absolutely smallest point of any debate. :rolleyes:
Like I said earlier...he often comes off with the attitude that everyone else gets their audio info from elves in the forest and that HE is the only one with access to the "truth". :D

Perhaps that's more in audiophile stuff but the lobes of dispersion from that tweeter are sometimes taken into account during a speakers design and they'll voice it to be heard off-axis.
I don't know of any "near field studio monitors" that are designed that way. Generally speaking, as long as near field monitors are 6' apart (or less) and you're sitting pretty much directly between them, and the tweeters are kinda pointed in the general direction of your ears, the exact angle isn't all that critical.

"Near field" monitors are designed to be played and heard in the "near field". Get them too far apart, or move your chair way back (out of the "near field"), and you mess up the ability of the speakers to do their job properly. And their job is pretty simple: to take some of the room modes out of your mixing decisions by letting you hear more of the direct sound first.

And their job is pretty simple: to take some of the room modes out of your mixing decisions by letting you hear more of the direct sound first.

That's a pretty good summary, everything else is just detail :)

I am pretty amazed that something that has been so good for so long is now not so good any more... but its fun!!!

People tend to lean in when working at the keyboard or mouse while staring at the audio software on the monitor, and while setting up their mix station. Then when it comes time to give a serious listen, they tend to lean back in their chair, with as much as a couple of feet of difference in the front/back position of their head.

People tend to lean in when working at the keyboard or mouse while staring at the audio software on the monitor, and while setting up their mix station. Then when it comes time to give a serious listen, they tend to lean back in their chair, with as much as a couple of feet of difference in the front/back position of their head.
...and behind Door #3 we have a new Nagahide dark burgany recliner for that back and forth studio work!

And behind door #4 we have a pack of wild wolves shooting guns loaded with killer bees while riding giant cobras with laser beams for eyes..

Back