Packing 101 (read this if you want your recorder / mixer to arrive in one piece)

A cut to fit styrofoam panel on the back to protect the connections +
one layer of bubblewrap around to hold it in place:
DSCF0003.jpg

Another thick panel on the bottom of the deck and more bubble-wrap around:

DSCF0004.jpg

More wrapping + sticker where the sensitive reel-tables are, and I always
leave the 2 hub-adaptors for 10 inch-reels on the deck.
DSCF0006.jpg

Wow, you have a nice collection now:rolleyes:

"TASCAM 388
TASCAM 34
TASCAM 244
TASCAM 246
TEAC A3440
TASCAM M30
TEAC 2A and meter bridge
+a bunch of mics, cables etc "

Where is the Akai you fixed a couple of years back ?

About a nice Tascam 22..sorry haven't found any mint ones lately.

Stand the deck up with styrofoam blocks (soft) to hold it in place:

DSCF0008.jpg

Notice the block on the front panel is not against the reel-tables.
More styrofoam between the box and deck to prevent shifting in transit and estimate around 8-10 lbs extra weight when it's all done:
DSCF0010.jpg

Where is the Akai you fixed a couple of years back ?

About a nice Tascam 22..sorry haven't found any mint ones lately.

The Akai I sold quite some time ago. Nice machine but I just didn't use it so decided to let it go.:o

With regard to the TASCAM 22, let me know if you get one in.:)

Rolf, do you have any 8 tracks for sale or only 2 - 4 tracks? Any TASCAM 40 or 50 series for sale?

BTW, great packing showcase!! :)

Any reels etc need a good support to protect the flanges:
DSCF0010.jpg

Smaller deck like Tascam 22 or Tascam 22-4 can be packed like this, but in those cases a styrofoam panel on the backside big enough to protect the 4 plastic legs so the pressure is spread out completly:
DSCF0008.jpg

I only use the larger bubble-wrap about 3-4 times wrapped so if the box get damaged the wrapping protect the deck.

DSCF0006.jpg

Fill the box with peanuts and a styrofoam sheet on top with a packing slip if for some reason the UPS or Fed Label disappear.
packing.jpg

So the Akai is gone, guess in your case the other machines will do a better job.
I don't have any 8-tracks in stock, a couple of 42 NB is left, nothing ready right now, sold the last mint 44 recently.

Thanks for your comment, I still remember the excellent packing you did with those parts.:),

And finally seal the box with good packing tape + some heavy labels doesn't hurt either.
A well packed Tascam 38, 42, 44 add about 10 lbs so the final weight is 85 lbs.:cool:
packing2.jpg

Sorry Rolf (and guys). I didn't mean to blather on about other stuff while you were showcasing the excellent packing job!

No problem, we had a good conversation while loading pictures;)
Working anyway here, are you recording any music lately or ?

All of this reminds me of an article in a vintage guitar magazine I read 10 years ago or so. The article was on proper shipping for guitars and showcased what appeared to be an excellent packing job done for a shipment that still arrived in a "destroyed" condition. The shipper: UPS. Yeah, I know that there's most likely a horror story for every shipper there is be it DHL, FedEx, USPS and whomever else. My experience has been to avoid UPS when I send something I want to arrive in one piece. I know how to pack and Rolf's "tutorial" is excellent. I just can't help but think UPS could damage even one of Rolf's good packing jobs. The author on that guitar article ended with this advice: UPS breaks things. Don't ship UPS.

I agree and that is why, currently, I only recommend strapping, whatever you have boxed, to a wooden pallet and shipping it freight. TNT is a good company.

No amount of packing, padding and shock absorbing materials, surrounding a heavy recorder, mixer or any other large and heavy 'vintage' gear, will ever fully protect from repeated 6 foot drops, and that's exactly what goes on with your typical shipper. You may not get external, cosmetic damage, but it doesn't take a lot to cause internal injuries to the item.

While UPS seems the worst, I'd never ship anything resembling much of the gear we see here, via any other company, which does not do pallet shipping. Ultimately, it's not the company but rather the way it is packed / shipped and palletizing is a must.

------

Attention!: Cjacek is a spammer and an incorragible & unashamed bootlegger to boot...

You go Daniel, heh. PSYCH!!!:eek:;)

Nah, this thread rocks! Especially my shipping disasters, man they rocked! Heh.:eek::rolleyes:

Aw shucks,...

Anyway, it's just rust on sticky tape,... rust on sticky tape,... rust on,... [pffffftt]

Just ran out of sticky tape!:eek:;)

Yeah, one of the great video moments on this board! I do recall... I do indeed recall.... :D:D

-----

Back