Your thoughts please

CPFC1985

Hi all

Think I've maybe started running before I can walk on this one! Posted up my first ever mix (of another bands song) a few months back. This now, is my first attempt at writing, recording and mixing my own track. Need to write/record some vocals yet, but am interested to hear (read) your thoughts on the mixing of the instrumental version.

https://soundcloud.com/damien_kelly/three-judges-rough-mix-1

Hey, sounding pretty good especially for your first start-to-finish attempt at your own track.

I think it's a bit muddy in general. Specially perhaps where the acoustic and bass intersect on certain lower notes. You might try some EQ cuts on one or both of those tracks and see if that cleans it up a bit?

I also thought the drums had too much room or verb on them for a track like this, especially compared with the sounds of the other instruments. They just sound like they're in a different space.

You certainly packed a lot into this arrangement. Very ambitious indeed. My first recording/mix of my own was probably a lame cover or a two chord jam or something and it sounded like ass, so well done in that regard!

I didn't think this was real bad.

Yeah there are some low end and low mid problems like heatmiser said. I think there are some problem frequencies in the mud range - like 300hz - 400hz. I think there are also some boominess problems in the lower range instruments. Like in the 80hz to 160hz range.

Oh and I personally didn't like the techno-drum sounds that came in around 2:20 or so. Didn't fit the rest of the song IMO. Crunch guitars right after that sounded good.

Sounds like it could be an interesting piece with the right vocal melody - there's some complexity and evolution in the arrangement. But it needs a vocal or lead instrument to fully sustain interest. The mix sounds reasonable to me. The drums do sound odd somehow, like maybe the bass drum is missing bottom end? The plucked sounds at 2:15 are a little quiet - they could be brought up a tad. I really like the part starting at 4:20.

Hey, sounding pretty good especially for your first start-to-finish attempt at your own track.

I think it's a bit muddy in general. Specially perhaps where the acoustic and bass intersect on certain lower notes. You might try some EQ cuts on one or both of those tracks and see if that cleans it up a bit?

I also thought the drums had too much room or verb on them for a track like this, especially compared with the sounds of the other instruments. They just sound like they're in a different space.

You certainly packed a lot into this arrangement. Very ambitious indeed. My first recording/mix of my own was probably a lame cover or a two chord jam or something and it sounded like ass, so well done in that regard!

I didn't think this was real bad.

Yeah there are some low end and low mid problems like heatmiser said. I think there are some problem frequencies in the mud range - like 300hz - 400hz. I think there are also some boominess problems in the lower range instruments. Like in the 80hz to 160hz range.

Oh and I personally didn't like the techno-drum sounds that came in around 2:20 or so. Didn't fit the rest of the song IMO. Crunch guitars right after that sounded good.

Sounds like it could be an interesting piece with the right vocal melody - there's some complexity and evolution in the arrangement. But it needs a vocal or lead instrument to fully sustain interest. The mix sounds reasonable to me. The drums do sound odd somehow, like maybe the bass drum is missing bottom end? The plucked sounds at 2:15 are a little quiet - they could be brought up a tad. I really like the part starting at 4:20.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. Will certainly clean up the low end frequencies. The drums were a bit of a nightmare on my part, managed to get a sound I liked, then you know how it is, start playing with different plug ins and effects and next thing you know, it's all a mess. Worthwhile stripping it down a bit and going with a less is more approach!

Techno drums are a bit 'out there', I'll give it a whirl without them, from memory, they created, albeit a tedious "link" instead of just jumping into the heavier part.

That song sounds way familiar. You sure you put up the correct link to an original?

Haha, definitely an original! Wrote the intro/acoustic part a few years ago and the second half about 4 weeks ago, hence the big shift in sounds.

So, I've had a play, unfortunately still struggling with the melody!! I've removed the reverb from the drums and placed a more subtle one on the master bus. Also tweaked the EQ on the low end of the acoustic guitar and kick drum, hopefully to clear out some of the muddiness. I did play with removing the techno drums, sounded even more disjointed to me though so kept them in.

Have left my first attempt on there to so they can be compared. Although still not great, I am much happier with it now than the first attempt. Still work to be done though. Will probably leave any more changes until vocals are in so it can all fit together nicely.

Better??

https://soundcloud.com/damien_kelly/three-judges-rough-mix-2

Back