Votes: 39 54.9%
  • Amp sims sound really fake, gotta mic a real amp

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • I use amp sims just for fun or messing around, but not for anything serious

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • I use V-amp/Pocket POD kinda things

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
Hey OP: I have heard some pretty convincing amp simulators (so I'm told they were) through my shitty computer monitors when listening to online compressed computer files. I think it has been said already while skimming through here and I'll reiterate: your playing and song and music is generally what your target audience is going to hear the most. Only audiophiles with setups way better than my little analog chain are going to dispute you if you get it sounding good. But personally, I like the analog way because it works and feels best to me. But I could rock some guitar for you through a Pod and make it sound good just as easily as through my amps.

I should clarify that the context of this was for home recording. I don't think any real studios are selling their vintage amps in lieu of plug-ins and sims and I know I sure as hell am not. But for goofing around or creating demo recordings, I think sims do fine.

I should clarify that the context of this was for home recording. I don't think any real studios are selling their vintage amps in lieu of plug-ins and sims and I know I sure as hell am not. But for goofing around or creating demo recordings, I think sims do fine.

Yup, totally.

Also keep in mind that in today's grossly oversaturated musical landscape of home recording basement dwellers and youtube superstar wannabes, chances are that no one outside of friends and family will ever hear your shit anyway. I doubt they'll care if you use sims or not.

I personally like using real amps and drums simply because I like using real amps and drums. I certainly don't have any problem with sims or using them, although I'll never use fake drums. My only issue with sim people are the guys that think sims are better when they obviously don't know any better.

I've gravitated from using mics & amps, which I had to abandon because of moving to a new house with less than forgiving neighbours and have been using a Pod Pro XT for the last few years.

I am now totally sick of it and want to get back to using an amp/mic combo, but finding one which will give me the tone I want and to play at bedroom level is proving to be an extremely difficult task.

Anyone got any recommendations?

I've gravitated from using mics & amps, which I had to abandon because of moving to a new house with less than forgiving neighbours and have been using a Pod Pro XT for the last few years.

I am now totally sick of it and want to get back to using an amp/mic combo, but finding one which will give me the tone I want and to play at bedroom level is proving to be an extremely difficult task.

Anyone got any recommendations?

H&K Tubemeister 18.

Ah yes, they reviewed that one in SOS last month and it received a glowing report.

Other options I've looked at are the Orange Tiny Terror, and the Vox AC4C1-BL.

Trouble is, I haven't heard any of these in the flesh, so to speak.

I can't remember the model, but the overall tone of the Orange amps impressed me. Very "vintage British," and "VB" is about as good as it gets for rock guitar.

Yeah for sure. Hi-Watts are great. They're hard to find.
I really think you can add the Ampeg V series to that list. As soon as my stupidly busy summer is over at the end of Aug, that'll be my first project ...... to do enough clips to show ya'll why you should snap up a V or two ...... and they're pretty cheap compared to the others.

I really think you can add the Ampeg V series to that list. As soon as my stupidly busy summer is over at the end of Aug, that'll be my first project ...... to do enough clips to show ya'll why you should snap up a V or two ...... and they're pretty cheap compared to the others.

I've never played one or been around one in a live setting. Ampeg V2/V4s are like mystery amps to me. I don't know for sure, but I think Metallica used them on their early albums? Maybe? I think I heard that somewhere.

I've never played one or been around one in a live setting. Ampeg V2/V4s are like mystery amps to me. I don't know for sure, but I think Metallica used them on their early albums? Maybe? I think I heard that somewhere.

Well, they use 7027a tubes which are essentially a super heavy duty 6l6. In fact, you can just drop in 6l6's into them and they work just fine.
But their tone stack is pretty different and they have a mid range control that will let you dial them into british sounding territory.
They do have their own sound though.
Plus they are stupid loud.

I got podfarm and gearbox with my interface because its a line 6 and before I got it I was weary about letting my computer make my guitar tone but I have to say I was rely impressed with it I use it for ALL of my scratch tracks because it is so easy to use and I have used it for alot of my lead tones

Picked up the Eleven rack about a year ago and it's getting more recording time now than my tube amps.
There's some impressive "rigs" for the 11R out there, good stuff for not a lot of cash investment and the sound quality is impressive too.

I have an eleven rack in my living room that I play through using headphones when I am sitting around on the couch.
It does have some great sounding patches and it is really easy to dial in.

Back