wondering why

Without a matching transformer, a low z mic's signal would be lower than the noise from all that gain.
Have ya tried it? I never said it was ideal. You in fact quoted the part where I said “not as hot as you’d like”. I think you’re overstating a bit, though. People have done it and are doing it and will do it. Yes a transformer is better. Actually a real preamp is even betterer. Not plugging your mic into a damn guitar amp would probably give much better results. But the actual problem with the OP was that one of the wires wasn’t connected. Connect that wire and it “works”.

Have ya tried it? I never said it was ideal. You in fact quoted the part where I said “not as hot as you’d like”. I think you’re overstating a bit, though. People have done it and are doing it and will do it. Yes a transformer is better. Actually a real preamp is even betterer. Not plugging your mic into a damn guitar amp would probably give much better results. But the actual problem with the OP was that one of the wires wasn’t connected. Connect that wire and it “works”.
Yes, I've tried it and it yields nothing I'd want to use. Just because a signal can be heard doesn't mean the signal is any good.

I've got a couple of those kicking around, used to plug mics into guitar amps because I was too poor to buy a PA. Or too cheap, forget which. My band was using an Ampeg V-4 and an 8x10 cab as our PA. We were going to use it for our first gig, the one I never got to because I had a motorcycle accident hours before the show was to start.

hey thanx

having recently purchased a Shure SM 57 , did so thinking, I could plug it into my small Fender acoustic amp...via the guitar jack...
using a TRS / XLR combo cable
and take advantage of the amp's "chorus" feature... :cautious: obvious, I am sure to youse guyz... but, No You Can't , to me

why then, is this ? trying to get a little different sound out of my acoustic was the plan

:unsure:
Well the chorus effect can only be picked off at the output, so you have to use the phones or line out jacks of a fender acoustic amp.
I like using microphones to get different different sounds. Like a '57 staight on, but a little off center, then I pan it to one side, then another channel that I pan opposite, run a cheap peavy lollipop ribbon mic, and with the headphones, position ribbon mic to one side of the amp to where I have stereo fullness effect.

so, if not already extremely obvious,
"youse guyz"
are talking so far above my LOC o_O that I simply pretend,
then put a few more marshmallows in my hot cocoa
sorry about the text...
I'm a colorful guy in my own mind, so type accordingly... never thought it would appear different on the other end :unsure:

so got the whatchamacallit arrived yesterday ...and works to my satisfaction..
now,
those opening notes to Satisfaction, have the sound I was going for in the 1st place (y)8-)(y)

maybe my 70's will remind me of The 70's
(
of course I know Satisfaction was 65)

thanx all !!

I've used my 57 for vocals many times and it works just fine.
I have always preferred the 57 for live vocals applications. It sounds more crisp to me. I used to think it was my imagination - until I did a sort of controlled test many years ago. Even then.... I have considered that any perceived difference still may just be my imagination.

Good deal Doobs.

Now get some recordings done and post something just to give us something new and different to hear. :-) Some of us love to show off, and others of us just like to enjoy hearing good stuff.

Don't be a stranger!

hey thanx

having recently purchased a Shure SM 57 , did so thinking, I could plug it into my small Fender acoustic amp...via the guitar jack...
using a TRS / XLR combo cable
and take advantage of the amp's "chorus" feature... :cautious: obvious, I am sure to youse guyz... but, No You Can't , to me

why then, is this ? trying to get a little different sound out of my acoustic was the plan

:unsure:
I dont think I would want to plug a vocal mike into a guitar amp. I suppose it could be done but it would not be something I would try. Why not just buy a cheap processing unit with chorus for your mike and put it through your monitor speakers? I bought an expression pedal for my mike, it has EQ and compression and is really good for 95 quid.

I dont think I would want to plug a vocal mike into a guitar amp. I suppose it could be done but it would not be something I would try. Why not just buy a cheap processing unit with chorus for your mike and put it through your monitor speakers? I bought an expression pedal for my mike, it has EQ and compression and is really good for 95 quid.
Sorry not an expression pedal, it is a Helicon. But very good, no chorus though. I struggle to understand why you would wish for chorus on your voice? It is a guitar effect and does not enhance a vocal in any way?

Back