wondering why

Doobs

hey thanx

having recently purchased a Shure SM 57 , did so thinking, I could plug it into my small Fender acoustic amp...via the guitar jack...
using a TRS / XLR combo cable
and take advantage of the amp's "chorus" feature... :cautious: obvious, I am sure to youse guyz... but, No You Can't , to me

why then, is this ? trying to get a little different sound out of my acoustic was the plan

:unsure:

no idea, surprised o_O

what would a "matching transformer" look like ... for 1 w/ no idea... like me ... :oops:

not knowing anything, obviously, I suspect there is no "cost efficient" means to achieve my original goal
and while I'm at it, does this explain why... when plugging the same set-up, into my Tascam 008ex ,TRS jack, nothing happens there either

Thanx !

You could have opted for a Shure 545LC. It has a switch allowing both high and low impedance operation, and is very similar to the SM57. It was actually the predecessor to the SM57 back in the early 60s. They are still manufactured by Shure and cost the same.

Also, you are plugging into the 1/4" input A set to "guitar", you are looking at a high impedance input of 1MOhm. You should be using the XLR input since that is set for the proper impedance and level supplied by the mic. The 1/4" plug is a TS plug, not TRS. So you are not be getting a complete circuit as the sleeve of the TS jack should not be hitting the ring part of the TRS, which is the other half of the connection for the microphone.

iu

The SM57 is wire as shown. Hence Pin 1, which is shield connects to the sleeve and Pins 2 and 3 carry the signal.
608-6089055_shure-sm57-wiring-diagram-trusted-wiring-diagram-rh.png

no idea, surprised o_O

what would a "matching transformer" look like ... for 1 w/ no idea... like me ... :oops:

not knowing anything, obviously, I suspect there is no "cost efficient" means to achieve my original goal
and while I'm at it, does this explain why... when plugging the same set-up, into my Tascam 008ex ,TRS jack, nothing happens there either

Thanx !
They look like this.

Any signal obtained that way would be so anemic that it would be useless.
Absolutely. A typical guitar pickup is normally something like 3-500mV output. It can put out over 1 volt for a hotly wound pickup with full strumming. An SM-57 will be putting out something like a few mV if you scream into it.

youse guys (y)8-) (y)

not only do the septuagenarian ears not hear, the eyes are tricky too o_O

if I understand "correctly" and it's a BIG If ...

I could go w/ the

CP8201 Microphone Impedance Matching Transformer

and get "some" juice from the SM57 and not have to spend 4X's as much on another mic

youse guys (y)8-) (y)

not only do the septuagenarian ears not hear, the eyes are tricky too o_O

if I understand "correctly" and it's a BIG If ...

I could go w/ the

CP8201 Microphone Impedance Matching Transformer

and get "some" juice from the SM57 and not have to spend 4X's as much on another mic

You need a device like this with any low impedance mic if you intend to use it with your guitar amp.

Absolutely. A typical guitar pickup is normally something like 3-500mV output. It can put out over 1 volt for a hotly wound pickup with full strumming. An SM-57 will be putting out something like a few mV if you scream into it.
I think the SM57 was designed for instrument miking and the 58 was a vocal mike. They are both super cardiod dynamic diaphram design and similar build but the 58 has more dynamic responsive and better higher frequency response, but in every day live use you probably wont notice that much during live work. They are both good. I prefer AKG dynamic mics for studio instrument recording as they have a more flat frequency response.

I think the SM57 was designed for instrument miking and the 58 was a vocal mike. They are both super cardiod dynamic diaphram design and similar build but the 58 has more dynamic responsive and better higher frequency response, but in every day live use you probably wont notice that much during live work. They are both good. I prefer AKG dynamic mics for studio instrument recording as they have a more flat frequency response.
The 57 & 58 are electronically the same. The 58 has an internal foam shield inside the ball end to make it less susceptible to plosives.

What Shure "designed" the mic for doesn't make any difference in this case. Using the connector the OP has means the mic won't work, since it doesn't make the proper connections. He either needs to use the transformer with the guitar amp, or the XLR input on his DP008EX.

FWIW, I've used my 57 for vocals many times and it works just fine. I personally prefer my Senn e835 and e935 for live vocal work over either the 57 or 58.

Not central to this discussion, but the SM58 and SM57 are cardioid, not supercardioid. The Beta57 and Beta58 are supercardioid.

I doubt the 57 is more "dynamic" than the 58. It might have a marginally different sound, but the main difference is the lack of a windscreen. You can get a 57 slightly closer to the source.

Yeah, for some reason Doob's lettering is all in light blue. I see a light grey background, so it's not that hard to read.

I'm more concerned with his comment about "septuagenarian ears not hear, the eyes are tricky too". Is that what I have to look forward to in a few months? DANG! When I became a sexagenarian, I thought "OH BOY!"

Was I ever wrong...... 😞

Transformers are cheap enough to have a go. My old Shure 545 from the 70's just had two cables, one wires for 600Ohm mic inputs and another with an unbalanced 1/4" jack and you shoved it into your gitar amp's channel 2 and had the guitar on the other one - which of course was, back then, exactly what everyone did. We now tend to think two channels are for clean vs dirty, or six string and electro-acoustic, but back then, it was for your mic!

Our Kustom PA was high impedance in, so we had a bunch of Shure 515SA Unidyne B mics. They had about a 15ft cord attached. For the drummer's mic, we just made another 10ft cord.

My first amp, a Univox U75, had 3 inputs. Guitar, Microphone and Accordion! I don't think I ever saw anyone plug an accordion into an amp.

1965-univox-u-75-lead-amp-black-sparkle-3.jpg

Thankfully most guitar amps have a shit ton of gain available. ;)

Back