Why didn't any of you warn me about LINE 6????

One of my high school buddies plays guitar in a 4-piece cover band (guitar, bass, keys, drums...mostly 70s and 80s pop & rock), and he uses an Ibanez (didn't ask him which model) through a 2x12 Line6 Spider. Sounded just fine to me.

Matt

foreverain4 said:
a common mistake people make is relying on gear to create tone. its in the fingers...

What? Are you selling Marshall MG's?? Only someone trying to unload a dumpster full of MG's would say something like that.....

foreverain4 said:
a common mistake people make is relying on gear to create tone. its in the fingers...

While I'd agree that a LOT of it is in the fingers/playing style/technique, the amp or whatever you're using plays a huge role. A great guitarist playing through a 10watt drive is going to sound like a great guitarist, but playing through a 10watt drive amp. Probably better than an average player but the actual sound will still be shitty.

danny.guitar said:
While I'd agree that a LOT of it is in the fingers/playing style/technique, the amp or whatever you're using plays a huge role. A great guitarist playing through a 10watt drive is going to sound like a great guitarist, but playing through a 10watt drive amp. Probably better than an average player but the actual sound will still be shitty.

wAt r U T@lkin 'bout!? I sawz Avenge Sevenfodl at the ConceRT ShoW Lsat nite and He waZ uZIN a CRAIGHT PRATCISE AMP!!?>!??11 Teh TonZ were AMAZing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???!!?!!11111111111111one

My ex line6 blew twice. No reason. Nothing changed, unhooked, etc. Mine threw out a big blue flash and made a loud pop. I found out that the power section in those amps was nicknamed "the flamethrower".

My friend is considering getting a Line 6 for recording. What should I tell him? He is new to recording. He has a real nice strat guitar that sounds great even recorded direct. I have no experience with the Pod but I bet he could get some great sounds with it. Especially if he can get great sounds even with free amp simulators (SimulAnalog plugins, etc.).

Travis: You know that sample you posted in my thread? It sounds JUST like that.

Anyway, I don't want to tell him to buy it if it sucks, but I also don't want to tell him NOT to buy it if he can get some usable tones out of it.

I'm guessing he will just be using it for cool clean sounds or weird sounds (with lots of delay, reverb, etc. to get cool sound fx). He likes weird shit.

He was happy with the sound of his guitar recorded direct.

Should I tell him to buy it or not?

Idk man...i like the Spider II HD75 head(getting a marshall AVT50HX soon..hopefully for some variety)...i have it through a Park G412A(pretty good cab...made by marshall so, haha cant be half bad)...and i love the crunch and (with some tweaking..or well..a lot of tweaking) the clean. The metal and insane, are a little hissy, but as far as technical problems have gone, i havent had any problems. Does anyone else have a Park btw?

danny.guitar said:
My friend is considering getting a Line 6 for recording. What should I tell him? He is new to recording. He has a real nice strat guitar that sounds great even recorded direct. I have no experience with the Pod but I bet he could get some great sounds with it. Especially if he can get great sounds even with free amp simulators (SimulAnalog plugins, etc.).

Anyway, I don't want to tell him to buy it if it sucks, but I also don't want to tell him NOT to buy it if he can get some usable tones out of it.

I'm guessing he will just be using it for cool clean sounds or weird sounds (with lots of delay, reverb, etc. to get cool sound fx). He likes weird shit.

Tell him to rank the reliability right up there with Behringer. For what it's worth, mine sounded pretty damn decent considering.

TravisinFlorida said:
Tell him to rank the reliability right up there with Behringer. For what it's worth, mine sounded pretty damn decent considering.

Thanks. :cool:

let me add to that: sounded decent for recording. for playing with a band, it was kind of crappy. it didn't have the right stuff to cut thru drums, bass, other guitar.

Question for the tweakers who took the time.. I've had some sessions come through where they guys were using what I expect were pretty stock settings . Invariably, even on moderate gain patches, every time the gate opened up (i.e. any string ringing :o ) there would be very high amount of noise going on. (Not just hiss) It could be that it's the result allot of effects stacked up, I don't know.
So I come away wondering, is their s/n is out of line with other rigs?

TravisinFlorida said:
let me add to that: sounded decent for recording. for playing with a band, it was kind of crappy. it didn't have the right stuff to cut thru drums, bass, other guitar.

He doesn't play live. Well, he plays with his church sometimes, but the lead guitarist plays with a Pod I think (the last time I was there anyway, he did). Didn't sound too bad, actually.

My guess is he will use it primarily for recording.

on the whole tone=fingers thing i would have to pretty much agree. i think alot of people forget what a guitar amp actually does. its not a magical box that puts out "tone". its a circuit that overdrives (clips, saturates, distorts) whatever signal is coming through it. some amps do it differently than others. some better, some worse. the key in having great tone is not about knowing what amp to buy, its about knowing what that amp is going to do for your sound.

i once heard two guys play back to back with the same guitar, amp and everything else in between. it was a hamer solidbody single cutaway (lp style) straight into a 50 watt marshall JCM2000 lead head and 1960 lead cab. i swear to you the first guy sounded like he was playing a strat into a big muff. very grindy fuzz-face kind of sound (think smashing pumpkins - siamese dream). not necassarily bad but deffinately not the type of sound this setup should yield. the second guy picks up the same axe and starts choppin. never heard tone like that anywhere before. i could hear every note of every chord he played and solos were like butter. mind you the gain was up at around 7-8 with the lead boost on....

yes, if you have a shitty amp, your not going to sound much better than the squawk box your playing out of. but for saying an amp is shitty there needs to be some kind of justification. i know a guy that has a krank revolution head (not for everyone; badass nonetheless) but he plays a digitech 2101 preamp (using the solid state side) into the fx return turning the krank into a really expensive power amp. HUH?? he has the gain on the digitech set to about...oh....11 with the mids scooped. les paul custom with emg 81/85. oh yeah and he uses a BBE unit in the link (has its uses...but not here). he thinks the krank by itself sounds like shit.

wheres the justification in that? :rolleyes:

oh yeah and btw, i think the best product line6 ever made was the first generation POD. i got some SICK stuff out of that little kidney bean....before someone stole it.

danny.guitar said:

Your friend should do the research and make his own decision. If you don't know whether it's what he needs or doesn't need (and I don't either), then you probably shouldn't be advising him on this issue.

producerkid said:
i know a guy that has a krank revolution head (not for everyone; badass nonetheless) but he plays a digitech 2101 preamp (using the solid state side) into the fx return turning the krank into a really expensive power amp. HUH?? he has the gain on the digitech set to about...oh....11 with the mids scooped. les paul custom with emg 81/85. oh yeah and he uses a BBE unit in the link (has its uses...but not here). he thinks the krank by itself sounds like shit.
I know a guy with the same setup (wasn't using a Krank, but had the 2101, EMG's and the BBE) It took me 6 years to get a real sound on him. Now he listens back on his old tone and cringes.

The trick will be to get a compressor pedal in front of the krank. He is looking for a sound that doesn't have any feel to it. No matter how hard he hits the strings, he wants it to sound the same. I suspect your guy is like that too.

ggunn said:
Your friend should do the research and make his own decision. If you don't know whether it's what he needs or doesn't need (and I don't either), then you probably shouldn't be advising him on this issue.

Well he wanted my opinion so I wasn't sure if I should advise against it or not. Obviously he's doing his own research and he will make the final decision.

danny.guitar said:
Well he wanted my opinion so I wasn't sure if I should advise against it or not.

Then I think that your best answer would be "I don't know." ;^)

A GUY NAMED JON said:
If you get a Line 6 you need to get the Vetta.

eh. to each his own i suppose but ive never been able to get any kind of usable distortion from a vetta. it just sounds like garbage IMO. however the effects and the clean tones are really killer in that head.

oh yeah and farview, your right. lol. actually i was able to exlain to him why i thought his tone sucked and why he couldnt get what he wanted out of the krank. we ended up putting a Zakk Wylde overdrive in front of the krank with the gain at about 9 oclock and the tone maxed out. sounds killer and hes happy with it. he still uses the digi live though....yuck...lol.

Back