Which interface for recording drums?

lttoler

I have been using a Tascam US-1800 for the last year to record our drummer and I was very pleased with it. A few weeks ago it went out on us and the warranty had just ran up. I am needing something new to record drums now but money is tight. My budget is around $300 but I'd much rather spend less. The Tascam is around $300 new but I don't like the fact that it died on me after just over a year's use. I don't mind getting something used. Are there any older interfaces out there that are a good used value?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If the warranty just went up I would complain. If you like 8 months out then maybe not.

I would definitely complain if I was 3 months or less out of warranty.

Where did you purchase the 1800 from? Most dealers will help you, if there is a complete failure of a unit they sold you. You might be surprised, how a bit of conversation can get your gear replaced in situation such as this. Unless you bought used....

I don't know what the law is in other parts of the world of course but here in UK the shutter does NOT slam down at 12months for warranties!
That is the manufacturers "no quibble" period but it is not caste in stone, you can argue, often very successfully, that it unreasonable for a device to fail completely in so short a time.
So yes, talk to people. Here your first contact is with the vendor/retailer but if they won't help, bother the arse off the makers!

Dave.

I don't know what the law is in other parts of the world of course but here in UK the shutter does NOT slam down at 12months for warranties!
That is the manufacturers "no quibble" period but it is not caste in stone, you can argue, often very successfully, that it unreasonable for a device to fail completely in so short a time.
So yes, talk to people. Here your first contact is with the vendor/retailer but if they won't help, bother the arse off the makers!

Dave.

You can be completely boned in the states... however if you bitch hard enough most of the time you can at least get them to come down in price on the repair or in the case of my fridge give me most of the money back in the form of a credit for a new fridge.

I'm pretty sure apple will tell you to piss off if you are out of applecare.

Last edited:
I recommend save up a bit more and get Saffire Pro 40 brand new for $500,... its great for its value and you can later on connect another Pro 40 to it to get 16 pre amps, its very nice in terms of quality and latency response,
even if you wanna get a used one, these things last long, but make sure to check all features before you buy it, some ppl blow up the firewire and then try to sell it...

I recommend save up a bit more and get Saffire Pro 40 brand new for $500,... its great for its value and you can later on connect another Pro 40 to it to get 16 pre amps, its very nice in terms of quality and latency response,
even if you wanna get a used one, these things last long, but make sure to check all features before you buy it, some ppl blow up the firewire and then try to sell it...

I would be wary of investing in Firewire equipment. Yes later macs will have TBolt and yes, you can get an adaptor but they screw you for TB cables and no doubt will do so for the adaptors!

BTW I have never heard of anyone "blowing up" a usb port....At either end?

Dave.

I would be wary of investing in Firewire equipment. Yes later macs will have TBolt and yes, you can get an adaptor but they screw you for TB cables and no doubt will do so for the adaptors!

BTW I have never heard of anyone "blowing up" a usb port....At either end?

Dave.
iv never heard of USB ports blown up, or worst case they reset after restarting windows.... but Yea a lot of ppl hv blown up the firewire port and many ppl do when using firewire, which happens easily by turning on the computer first then turning on the interface while connected.
and yes thanks for pointing it out, you will need a firewire Card connected to your PC between $20-$40, PCI or PCI express...

I'd go with something like an M-Audio 1010. I have the 1010LT and it's great. I use the 2 preamp XLR channels to handle my bass and snare, then the overheads go into a mixer, then into separate L/R into the 1010 and you have 4 tracks of drums all nice and separated from each other for easier editing. :)

Back