Which fx reverb to use for vosal and instruments?

olsian

Hi. I have a lexicon mx200 and these plugins
all valhalla plugins
PCM Native Reverb Plug-in Bundle
Native Instruments Reverb Classics rc24 and rc 48
but which is the best to use for vocal? Thanks

All of those will be good for vocals, if you choose the right setting/reverb type. The Lexicon reverbs are very nice though.

It's too broad a question to answer properly - different styles of music need different types and amounts of reverb, and each mix will need a slightly different setup. All of those plugins and your hardware unit will be good for vocals, providing you know how to set them up and use reverb properly.

I use the Lexicon Reverb bundle and never use the Vintage Plate for vocals.

:>)

That's just to say like Jake, it's wide open and a million ways to skin a cat.

I always get suspicious when someone has over $1000 in software and doesn't know the fundamental basics about using them...

It depends on everything. A really bright vocal into a bright plate will peel the paint off the walls.

A dark vocal into a dark hall will just turn to mush

A fast song with a reverb decay time of 5 seconds will.sound bad

A slow song with a small room setting will sound equally stupid.

As with anything in audio:
1. Listen to what you have
2. Imagine what you want it to be
3. Use the tools you have to turn what is there into what you want.

One thing I often like to do with vocals is duck the verb... depends on the song and what all is going on in it, but a lot of the time it's killer.

Not sure if any of your plugs do it (I use Waves H-Reverb which has it built in) ... if not, you can still do it:

If you are not bussing your verb, bus it... (Send the vocal to a bus with the reverb on it, set to 100% wet, adjust send to suit)
Then, after your verb, insert a compressor and sidechain it to your vocal
This way the vocal is ducking the reverb while present, and opening up when the vocal gaps

I love it. I was super stoked that it is built into H-Reverb... saves me the steps of setting it up separately

Back