Where can I get some awesome free VST plugins for Vocals and Acoustic guitar?

Mixer into laptop can be a big problem, as is room.

The Rode mic ain't bad though for what you're using it for.

Uh, I really hate to add to this very entertaining thread and derail the frivolity, but....

Are you mixing your stuff with computer software? Which one are you using? If we knew that, we could tell you whether or not to use VST or DX, etc...

Uh, I really hate to add to this very entertaining thread and derail the frivolity, but....

Are you mixing your stuff with computer software? Which one are you using? If we knew that, we could tell you whether or not to use VST or DX, etc...

i'm using cakewalk homestudio....i know it supports vst's and dx's.....even that cheap magix program i used before supported it...but yea...i read the manual and box before i looked into vst's...

I've spent so much money and time trying to make my studio sounds better, its really funny that some of the better recordings i have ever achieved where years ago when i only had a small multitracker and a few basic mics... but on the other hand i had loads of time and some awesome sounding rooms to use.

Where you record your vocals will have a huge inpact on your results. Again depending on the sound you want will also change where and how you do things. One of the warmest sounds i got was a walk in wardrobe at my first student house :) but remember what might be a great tone for one recording could be the worse solution for another, hence why there really is no perfect way to get the sound a track needs, experience and time are the only answer.

There are many plugins for vocals as pointed out above non will 'fix' them as such most i have tried for compression, etc havent been that great some of the free stuff can be rough, on the up side they take seconds to download and try, so if you don't even know what your after just try loads of stuff. If you are new to compressors/gates/expanders/de-essers etc downloading something like fish fillets could be for you there are presets that can just select saves having to understand what your doing. Tho i suggest you do try and learn :)

Obviously you have some concept of how you want your product to sound, if you could furnish an example that would be helpful, a recording that has the sound you're looking for.
Also, an example of your tune, then we would have something to compare, and maybe offer some suggestions based on that.

There's an old expression here in the UK, I don't know whether it's used in the USA, that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear , and I think this is what folks have been trying to tell you. Unless your dry tracks are good, plug-ins won't do a thing for you, but here's a good place to start if/when you think you can use them.

VST plugins, AU plugins, Professional audio plugins - Voxengo

Ok just to shake things up a little. You can get fairly goods results using vst presets. But unless you understand how these presets are achieved u will never get the exact result your looking for. And for good quality presets you pay good money. like the following....

Waves Signature Series | The Tony Maserati Collection | The Collection

These presets combine many different effects, such as reverb, de-esser's, compressors, chorus, eq adjustment.. etc. etc.
So these are the terms you need to learn to master your. sound. These are all used to add colour, or remove colour from the sound to get it to fit within the mix. Only you know what will blend with the rest of the tracks in your project.

However that being said colouring a scribble just makes it a coloured scribble, adding watercolours to a sketch makes it a piece of art. So never forget your original source material is very important. Read up on microphones, microphone postioning and recording levels, to help achieve this. There are plenty of links in the Newbie section.

In regards to your vocals the best thing to work with is maybe a little reverb, and eq'ing out those frequencies you don't need as to not make your mix muddy.

If you want to use eq's or reverb these will not doubt be already in your software somewhere. So therefore you don't need any free vst's. However if your after a quick fix, that offers presets of famous vocal effects that the stars use, these will cost you money.

Learn more or pay more.

Back