What's your favorite Guitar tone/sound?!

I use a good few types of sound live.

Mostly in the Marc Ribot vein - but also some Gilmour/Hendrix type tones.

I'm really searching for a way to get Kenny Burell's sound from the intro to 'Cry Me A River' though... i think that will be expensive to achieve!

Brand New's The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me cd, and Coheed and Cambria's Welcome Home/No World For Tomorrow. Brand New-soft ambient indie, coheed-raw tripple rectifier power. Also Circa Survive's On Letting Go cd had the sickest guitars i wish i could imitate, but sadly i cant afford a Soldano Decatone. AND The Mars Volta's tones...they are all amazing, because omar is one sick guitarist/producer.

I put together a 3 minute clip of my personal favorites...you may notice a trend, LOL.

I'm guessing I need to buy
(1) a telecaster;
(2) a slide;
(3) a great tremelo
(4) something with tubes in it.

For me, my favorite guitar tone off an album came from a Japanese band out of the 80's with probably one of the most underated guitarists on the planet.

Loudness, anything on "Lightning Strikes".

Akira Takasaki. His tone was phenominal. I know he used Mesa and Marshall's modified by Lee Jackson and who knows what else.

The singing on that band left a lot to be desired, but for you shredders out there, this guys lead and rhythm tone and playing are off the hook.

I am a huge George Lynch fan. I think Akira "might" be better. His tone absolutely is better (IMO of course).

Of course my favorite tone I have ever gotten plugged into an amp is a dual rec

I really like breaking benjimans tone and for some reason there something about angels and airwaves tone that is just sweet. And the solo from communication breakdown by led zeppelin....wow.

I love to brag

Im a real fan of all the soundgarden sounds. Best one i think is Superknown. think they used MB triple recs?
My old roommate was the recording engineer for Matt Cameron's Wellwater Conspiracy albums. The Soundgarden studio (the space) was crammed with amps. I recall seeing several Hi Watts. That was my Mellotron on Mailman. Brian Setzer has the tone, 2, '63 blond Bassman amps (I only have one).

Back