What's your favorite Guitar tone/sound?!

tone

my favorite tone is my les paul through my marshall's .... gain set about 4 treble set around 7 bass around 5 ... on the neck pickup guitar tone and vol. max out .... sometimes i use a little delay or the cry baby to enhance the solo's :cool:

Gavid Gilmour's solo on "the Wall" is my absolute favorite.

Nobody"s mentioned:
George Harrison for "While my guitar gently Weeps"
All the guitar sounds on the song "Gimme Shelter"
Willie Nelsons lead guitar sound
Jeff Beck for all of "Blow By Blow"
Roy Buchanon
Brian Setzer
And anybody who ever played lead guitar for Merle Haggard

My favorite tone on any recording is no doubt SRV's studio version of "Little Wing." IMO thats the way a Strat should sound.

Another I really like, as crazy as it may sound, is Mark Bryan (Hootie & The Blowfish) on "Tucker's Town." A slightly driven hollow-body.

harmon said:
oooh gooodies! i have to say MBV's "to here knows when" is the most awesome sounding guitar(s?) song ever

also i really like the guitar sounds of mid 90s era flaming lips with ronald jones on guitar and scott cortez's 4 track masterpieces in the lovesliescrushing album xuvetyn.

joey santiago's (pixies) guitar on HEY
lee ranaldo and thurston moore on anything but particularly washing machine
steven malkmus on pavements at&t
graham coxen on to the end...
basically anything that isn't eric clapton ;)

Well another thing about those guys is they both use similar guitars.

I like the playing and sound from better Ibanez guitars. I have some ESP's that are great too, but the tone is a little different for shred. Anything RG 550, 570, 770.... Ibanez Jems..... I like the Dimarzio Tone Zones, Evolutions, and PAF is good for leads as well put not as crunchy as I like. EMG 81's are also nice for more Metal tones.

So I'd say a decent Ibanez RG Series with good Pickups with a nice saturated high gain amp such as a Peavey 5150/6505 or Peavey Tripple XXX with a Maxon or Ibanez Tube Screamer and a decent effects unit like a TC G Major, G Force, or Lexicon PCM80 and shred is set.

Theres a guy that plays for "All That Remains".... He uses Ibanez guitars with EMG81's and a Peavey 5150. He has great shred tone and I think he sounds alot like Petrucci durring his solos.

I'd have to say, Tony Iommi's Gibson Signature Pups into a Laney TI Signature amp. I LOVE those pups...even put them in one of my Gibson LP Customs! Them, in a LP or SG straight into that Laney is VERY evil, bone crushing, gut wrenching heavy!

ZZ Top's guitars always had very cool tones, especially their early albums.

Zakk's stuff sounds VERY cool...though I get tired of the pinches all the time..but his tone is killer!

Neil Young is definitely up there for me. The best description ive read of his tone was of his SNL performance a few years ago. Solos that sounded like falling power lines. incredibly accurate.

Brian May is another of my favourites.

Angus is another one. i read somewhere that everyone who has played his rig was amazed at how little gain there was. i guess its really all in the player.

tom morello never ceases to amaze me. and the guitars he gets his tones with would surprise alot of people.

OH and Matt Bellamy of muse. some of the most amazing guitar player/tone ive witnessed live. alot of people may criticize his use off effects/midi stuff. but he knows it inside out. to me, they are all instruments. although i agree the wah is overused.

pretty much everyone mentioned here have amazing tones....

its hard not to be biased about tone when the music being played is so damn good.

Adam

Whatever works for the song. Some songs that's thick and distorted, some songs it's clean and twangy. It must ALWAYS fit with the band, and fit in the song. Nothing else matters for shit.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

amarach said:
joey santiago's (pixies) guitar on HEY
lee ranaldo and thurston moore on anything but particularly washing machine
steven malkmus on pavements at&t
graham coxen on to the end...
basically anything that isn't eric clapton ;)

Sonic Nurse has great tone: fenders through little Mesa Boogies.
Live, Thurston uses really cheap peavey half stacks, lee uses fender bandmasters. It's not the best tone (the peavey) but it fits them and it's pretty good tone being that it's coming out of a bunch of buzzy half broken jaguars.

I've seen sonic youth 6 times and the shows are usually too loud to listen to tone but some album stuff the tone is impressive.

Yeah, eric clapton could be plugged straight into jesus, and i still wouldn't give a fuck about him.

I think Eric Johnson's tone is over-rated. I gotta go with the toad on this one, SRV's tone was unbelievable. And most of it came from him and his playing more so than the equipment.

Love Ry Cooder and his old National steel pickups...Hate strats through a chorus clean. Love Teisco pickups, hate the guitars. Love new sonic territory, hate the clone tone. Absolutely love GA5s and National/Supro/Valco amps. One man's cheese is another man's camembert...

Flangerhans said:
Love Ry Cooder and his old National steel pickups...Hate strats through a chorus clean. Love Teisco pickups, hate the guitars. Love new sonic territory, hate the clone tone. Absolutely love GA5s and National/Supro/Valco amps. One man's cheese is another man's camembert...

Thats what i'm talkin about!

Add dearmond, silvertone, danelectro, harmony, etc.

badassmak said:
...Big Sugar.

I love how hes got it cranked at all times, and is actually able to use the distortion and feedback to his advantage. Seen em live a couple of times now and it always blows me away. He plays double-necked gibsons a lot (i think theyre gibsons lmao), old f hole guitars and the like. Personally thats not what I play musically, but from what Ive seen live I like that sound the best so far. And after getting the nerve to more than just look at the 'spensive guitars (ie try one out) I must say id really really, possibly kill to get a gibson.

I have to +2 on the size of his tone(Gordie Johnson)...Lots of that is the player of course but it is a tasteful tone.

My favorite guitar sound...

Clean and distorted for me hands down is ...And Justice for All. Yes, I know, it's not the most refined sound but it always puts my mood on the upswing...The clean tones too in there and the acoustic tone on one of the tracks.

I'm in the dual rectifier camp -- older John Petrucci (Dream Theater) sound. The newer stuff I like, but i prefer the older tone of his guitar.

Back