What's your favorite Guitar tone/sound?!

Billy Gibbons always gets a good tone!!!
Also, and I know this is going WAY back, but Buddy Holly got a cool tone on his records, and those things are in mono. Its the classic clean strat thru a tweed bandmaster sound.

Hendrix "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" is one I always put in my "tone bucket". Billy Gibbons as well. Early EVH, especially "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" and the solo from "Beat It". Mark Knoplfer as well. Oooh.. and Joe Pass.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Knopfler has a great tone. Especially on tunes like SULTANS OF SWING, where he plays it clean. I HATE his tone on MONEY FOR NOTHING, it was horrendous!!! On a distorted tone he is less effective.

Gordie Johnson

...Big Sugar.

I love how hes got it cranked at all times, and is actually able to use the distortion and feedback to his advantage. Seen em live a couple of times now and it always blows me away. He plays double-necked gibsons a lot (i think theyre gibsons lmao), old f hole guitars and the like. Personally thats not what I play musically, but from what Ive seen live I like that sound the best so far. And after getting the nerve to more than just look at the 'spensive guitars (ie try one out) I must say id really really, possibly kill to get a gibson.

David Gilmour in "The Wall", the whole album.
Knopfler clean tones in the last two or three albums from Dire Straits are great. Or slightly distorted (Brothers in Arms-like)

Me. :D

flapo1 said:
David Gilmour in "The Wall", the whole album.
Knopfler clean tones in the last two or three albums from Dire Straits are great. Or slightly distorted (Brothers in Arms-like)

Me. :D
I remember the first time I heard the lead break on Brothers in Arms.....It gave me chill bumps..Great stuff.

Jimmy Eat Worlds most recent record (untitled) All of the guitar tones are sick, but in song number 8 "Get it Faster" there's an interlude of sorts and the guitar tones are amazing.

If I were to pick one persons tone/effect sound I would have to vote for Brian May. Even to this day in a sea of effects, processors and digital everything, I have heard no other player match that dreamy melancholy weeping of his guitar.

I agree with Brian May, I'll add Iommi--that rough SG sound that you can recognize a mile away. And yeah, Johnny Ramone makes my list too. And Link Wray. And the dude from the Dead Kennedey's. And Neil Young. And Keef. Could go on and on.

-J

I like lots of different tones, one of my favorites is Michael Schenker's Flying V through a wah, set halfway, giving a midrangey growly tone, as heard on his old song "Tales of Mystery."

Another favorite is that singing Strat sound, like Brian MacLeod of the Headpins. Hearing that, and Clapton's sound on "Hideaway" made me buy a Strat as my first guitar.

Listen to the long version of Headpin's "People are all the Same." It's like a 3 minute solo of that wonderful Strat tone.

Gosh...I have a lot of favorites...

Steve Jones (on "Never Mind The Bullocks...Here's The Sex Pistols")
Eddie Van Halen (especially on "Women and Children First")
Angus Young (AC/DC)
Johnny Marr (on any Smiths record)
Jeremy Enigk and Daniel Horner (Sunny Day Real Estate)
Jim Adkins and Tom Linton (Jimmy Eat World especially on "Futures" and "Bleed American"
David Gilmour (especially on "The Wall")
Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chains)
Billy Corrigan (especially on "Gish"
Rick Nielsen (especially on the live stuff)
D Boon (on any Minutemen record)

I'm sure there are some I've left out...but that's what comes to mind right now.

For clean-Anything Dick Dale or King Tubby has done with reverb-drenched guitars. I love spring reverb.

For distortion-The White Stripes-Seven Nation Army has some pretty ill stuff, as well as anything out of a Mesa 3x Rectum-fier :p

Fender Strat and Rick

My favorite is the Fender Stratocaster, but I'm learning to like Rickenbacker. I have a semi hallow body Rick and that guitar makes me work at it. There's something I like about that. Strats are easy though and that's nice too sometimes.

Mongoo

My favorite tones are low tuned, heavy and have loads of gain.
I like it heavy, and brutal:
Zakk Wylde, Black Label Society
Pepper Keenan - Corrosion of Coformity, Down
Jerry Cantrell - Alice in Chains
Scott Ian - Anthrax
Dimebag - Pantera (didn't really dig his damageplan sound)
Somewhere in the middle of all that is where I hope my sound is.

Now other great guitar tones that I love to hear, and stand out to me:
Billy Gibbons
Mark Knoppfler ( amen to the brothers in arms thing)
SRV - Dude was incredible
Willie Nelson (7 spanish angels for one)

of course Angus Young
Zakk Wylde
Tom Morello
(not knowing the name of the guitar player in the band) Franz Ferdinand
Slash
Billy Corgan
Sum41
Brian May

Last edited:
Back