What's limiting YOUR recordings??

What's the weakest link in your recordings?

• My recording chain (mics, pres, etc)

Votes: 156 18.4%
  • My monitoring chain (monitors, phones)

Votes: 66 7.8%
  • My room(s)

Votes: 258 30.4%
  • My own ability

Votes: 368 43.4%

• Total voters
its a constant battle but right now i think i might have for me my perfect system which has been an ongoing process for many years.. but right now i suppose my weakest link is me ..not being focused, too tired.. and too much beer. But im happy!

It's a mix of me and a less than...

...ideal room. I've treated the spare bedroom with some acoustic foam on the walls, but with a sliding glass door involved I don't get the sound isolation. Even with some decent mics and well above-Behringer level of outboard equipment I still can't manage to get a recorded acoustic guitar sound I like. EQ helps to some degree but a better room would probably go a long way toward that goal.

Other than the room issue I'd say it's my laziness. Anticipation is often better than acquisition and that is true in the case of gear. You dream about new equipment, you visit the online retailers, look up reviews and just know that once you get that latest piece of gear you're only a few moments away from the best song ever recorded. So you finally get the piece of gear. You put it in your rack, plug it in, twist the knobs and have a great time for a couple hours. "Finally," you say to yourself, "I'll be able to produce some amazing tracks and the world will finally notice me." Over the next few days the newness wears off and you find yourself using the new toy less and less, while somehow noticing all the cool shows on TV you don't want to miss. So you inevitably resume the former couch potato position, but in the back of your mind you think, "I may not use it that much, but my new toy sure is nice to have. It sure does look great in my rack." Simply walking in to the spare bedroom and glancing at your new toy is somehow enough to suffice. No need to turn it on...just admiring it is enough. And of course in between the distractions of TV/internet and whatever other excuse you can come up with not to record, you happen to grab the latest Sweetwater/Musicians Friend/American Musical/et al catalog and think to yourself, "I sure would like to have a new preamp. Maybe that's what my recordings are missing."

At least that's how it seems to go for me. I do manage to actually put my toys to work and use them as intended, but I tend to do more excuse-finding than recording. I'm working on that.

...ideal room. I've treated the spare bedroom with some acoustic foam on the walls, but with a sliding glass door involved I don't get the sound isolation. Even with some decent mics and well above-Behringer level of outboard equipment I still can't manage to get a recorded acoustic guitar sound I like. EQ helps to some degree but a better room would probably go a long way toward that goal.

Other than the room issue I'd say it's my laziness. Anticipation is often better than acquisition and that is true in the case of gear. You dream about new equipment, you visit the online retailers, look up reviews and just know that once you get that latest piece of gear you're only a few moments away from the best song ever recorded. So you finally get the piece of gear. You put it in your rack, plug it in, twist the knobs and have a great time for a couple hours. "Finally," you say to yourself, "I'll be able to produce some amazing tracks and the world will finally notice me." Over the next few days the newness wears off and you find yourself using the new toy less and less, while somehow noticing all the cool shows on TV you don't want to miss. So you inevitably resume the former couch potato position, but in the back of your mind you think, "I may not use it that much, but my new toy sure is nice to have. It sure does look great in my rack." Simply walking in to the spare bedroom and glancing at your new toy is somehow enough to suffice. No need to turn it on...just admiring it is enough. And of course in between the distractions of TV/internet and whatever other excuse you can come up with not to record, you happen to grab the latest Sweetwater/Musicians Friend/American Musical/et al catalog and think to yourself, "I sure would like to have a new preamp. Maybe that's what my recordings are missing."

At least that's how it seems to go for me. I do manage to actually put my toys to work and use them as intended, but I tend to do more excuse-finding than recording. I'm working on that.

i think you nailed it for a lot of guys... im trying not to be one of those but its hard..:)

:laughings: good post

I have to admit I go on rolls when I cant stop...then I say I have a wife and life to live so I should give it a break...then it takes ages to get back into but once I do...whoomf back at it night and day again, repeat to fade

I bought a few things recently that Ive been doing the "these are really going to improve my stuff" thing, this will be a buying period I guess, cant wait to actually turn them on :D

the fact that I've only got 8 tracks. Really need to upgrade to 16 on 1/2". Looking at a Fostex G16.
Go forth, young sir !
I was in the same situation. Started with a 4 track portastudio. Found that I had more ideas than the tracks could accomodate and that endless bouncing just made mush and whatever sounded great initially became pudding.
Upgraded to 8 track, had many great years and learned most of what I know on it but I did lots of bouncing and track sharing which meant mixing was a herculean effort of memory and dexterity !
Now I'm up to digital 12 track and with 250 virtual tracks and editing, I'm trying to be more disciplined. But my initial problem of too many ideas remains. It's not the sign of cleverness either, because too many ideas = mush and indecision. Not every track must be filled nor running together at the same time ! I feel the necesity of ruthlessness approaching......

not alone

Wow, raddo is echoing my story! I'm not the only one!
To add to all he says, when I DO finally get (make?) time, I get completely immersed into some tweak, or fiddling with something that I really don't need, and then there it is (whoop intentionally omitted), another day getting nothing laid down. It only adds to the self loathing and general disgust.
After SO many years of blaming my room (or lack of it) I finally have my own studio, and I'm still getting nothing done. I have had problems with my sound card, and I am waiting for a 1010LT to arrive next week, and like our friend above, I will be in love with life for a short while again, until the premier of Big Bang Theory (etc.) will thrust me back into couch-potatodom.
I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but all my jamming buddies have either died, moved away, or are no longer in touch for "reasons". When I do manage to create a little ditty, I get a generic "That's nice Honey" from my wife, and of course, everything Dad does SUCKS to my 15 yr old. I am left with no-one to play stuff for. I am not craving adulation, but we DO make music for others to enjoy, no?? That kinda takes the wind out of my sails too.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, feh. (sorry for venting!)

To add to all he says, when I DO finally get (make?) time, I get completely immersed into some tweak, or fiddling with something that I really don't need, and then there it is (whoop intentionally omitted), another day getting nothing laid down. It only adds to the self loathing and general disgust.
After SO many years of blaming my room (or lack of it) I finally have my own studio, and I'm still getting nothing done. I have had problems with my sound card, and I am waiting for a 1010LT to arrive next week, and like our friend above, I will be in love with life for a short while again, until the premier of Big Bang Theory (etc.) will thrust me back into couch-potatodom.
I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but all my jamming buddies have either died, moved away, or are no longer in touch for "reasons". When I do manage to create a little ditty, I get a generic "That's nice Honey" from my wife, and of course, everything Dad does SUCKS to my 15 yr old. I am left with no-one to play stuff for. I am not craving adulation, but we DO make music for others to enjoy, no?? That kinda takes the wind out of my sails too.

read the fountainhead and zen and the art of motorcyle maintenance ... just make the best that you possibly can and if no one hears it so what?.. you are doing it for yourself. If people like it then great but that isnt the point.

take an active part in the mp3 clinic, also try a few online collabs....might be life in the old dog yet ;)

i just recorded myself speaking a Vincent Price style gothic monologue over dance music...you think you've got it bad? :laughings:

I voted "room", though I probably could have picked all of them. I'm more confident in my abilities however, than my cheap-ass microphones, and sound card. My "monitors" are the speakers I've listened to music on from my teens until now.

WEAK:
RodeNT1a, JoeMeek VC3, M-audio 2496, Got all three for $450 bucks used.

My wish list.

NeumannTLM103
Focusrite or Neve Pre
RME PCI-e 24/192

$4K

The PC specs.

I was at the same spot, but I kept watching the buy.com specials. Last year I got a quad core machine with 8GB of RAM, and a 1TB drive. I added a second drive to hold the data, and now I have a perfect DAW. It cost me $400.00. It was a factory refurb, but its been perfect.

What's limiting my recordings isn't my gear, I had pro level gear 20 years ago.

It's not technique or performance, if I can't figure out something I know people who can and I have access to great musicians and great rooms if the contracts were there.

I'd say it's me not being able to figure out how to make money off of China's booming economy.

how to make money off of China's booming economy.
First, develop affordable and effective coal chimney scrubbers, and then use the profits from that to develop an advanced gender masking technology that ensures your first newborn medically tests as a male regardless of actual gender.

G.

I have to admit that I'm the main culprit when it comes to tracking/mixing as I tend to favor then boost certain eq frequencys more than others.

Back