What's limiting YOUR recordings??

What's the weakest link in your recordings?

• My recording chain (mics, pres, etc)

Votes: 156 18.4%
  • My monitoring chain (monitors, phones)

Votes: 66 7.8%
  • My room(s)

Votes: 258 30.4%
  • My own ability

Votes: 368 43.4%

• Total voters
My limit isn't on the list. I need clients so that I can gain more experience. I get a client here and there, but not as many clients as I need.

And the kind of music I record (folk and bluegrass), the clients do music part time and come into the studio in short bursts. Nothing sustained. So I don't have a long list of things to do once the recording session is over. I need more time at the DAW.

Tom

Harley Davidsons...

Really, I live in an area with a lot of car/bike nuts. From the souped up mopeds all the way to the Chevy V8 SUV's with "sports" exhausts. But nothing is as annoying as the Harley's. It's a stinkin' shame the manufacturer convinced the EU's technical committee that it's only low frequency and isn't harmful.

Recording outdoors if the weather is good is frustrating. But even indoors, with very good sound insulation, it's very hard. And insulating for low frequencies is very hard...

Myself, followed by my space.

While I feel that my technical knowledge is decent enough (not that I don't feel that I have much to learn), I am lacking in experience, a discerning ear (though I do feel like I have made noticeable strides in improving my ear), and I could use some playing ability, so I don't have to rely on having friends over, or my brother, just so I have something to record.

I'm new here and this is the first thing I saw...I voted for monitors and headphones. I have great speakers that I can mix with (Tandem Stems) and get a decent sound but I need that near field monitor experience that can only come from professional studio monitors. My headphones are old, and beat up..but they still work and provide great sound (Sony V-150). Had them for years and only cost me 20 bucks. lol

A combination of equipment and my own ability. The DAW that we use has a wealth of features but most we don't know how to tap into and fully utilize (it's Presonus Firestudio). We also don't have very good mixing abilities and we have struggled a lot to get good drum sound. (We ended up being able to mic the kit with FireStudio's 8 inputs, but the only problem there is we don't even have a top quality drum kit. Then there's stuff you can do to mix the actual drum tracks but we are uneducated in that area).

I'm pleased to finally be able to say that: Whatever limitations my recordings may have in the future, having to do them alone won't be one of them :D

My own abilities for sure. I make way to many performance mistakes while tracking. I do not practice my instruments enough. I'm fairly proficient on guitar, but totally suck on bass and keys. My drumming is a freaking nightmare. But I love playing.

But I do have fun learning how to use gear and recording techniques.

voted for my room then realised that actually it's both me and my room, but I can't change it or do two of them I don't think :(

What's limiting my recordings??

Only me, and a distinct lack of time

time as well yes, I'm 15 so I do have time but I always have things breaking up my free time like football training and other social occasions, so I rarely have enough time in one go for it to be worth setting it up. Sometimes I do but I will be feeling so tired that I won't be bothered :(

Because it is the least important of all of those things.
I part agree but I've noticed that, for example, some microphones or multitrackers {for example, you might have a 4 track where an 8 would be less limiting} are definitely better than others and these might make a difference.
Then there's no excuse ! :D

Hello, I had a marked jump in recording quality when I switched to an RME UFX USB interface. It does cost $2,300, but in the long run will pay for itself. Also to state the obvious great talent helps so much. I have heard great guitarists pull fantastic sounds from cheap guitars. Same for recording, if you have reasonable quality gear great musicians usually sound great.

Back