What's limiting YOUR recordings??

What's the weakest link in your recordings?

• My recording chain (mics, pres, etc)

Votes: 156 18.4%
  • My monitoring chain (monitors, phones)

Votes: 66 7.8%
  • My room(s)

Votes: 258 30.4%
  • My own ability

Votes: 368 43.4%

• Total voters
Ah, erm, dodging the bleed from these big motherfuckers as they come across my attic roof at fifteen hundred feet when I'm tracking something acoustic with microphones. D'oh!

Here's the 3:15 to LA going past this afternoon.

380.jpg

:rolleyes:

i have a big list:

need keyboard
need piano
need various types of guitars
need to do more studying
need more time
need most of all the other recording equipment
also have location situation

Of course the room is very important, but as always its just one factor amongst many.

I would think that for most people on here with a basic setup of reasonable equipment, their own abilities are their main limiting factor. I've seen this myself - my gear and room have not changed very much at all in the past year, yet my recordings have improved tenfold, and I still don't believe my equipment is limiting me in any way. I'm happy to admit that I think my own abilities are still my main limiting factor. On the other hand, I think for many people its all too easy to brush off the idea of themselves being the problem and point the finger at their equipment or their room. They might not even realise they're doing this, just its a natural reaction to any idea that you might be the problem to find something else that could be blamed!

Really, a great engineer can get good results with mediocre gear - possibly the same gear which some people here might say is limiting the quality of their recordings - and will also be able to work around a bad room to some extent.

So yes the room is very important, but it not the be-all-end-all of recording and its not impossible to get great results without a well-treated room. A crap engineer in a great room will still get crap results...

No question what's limiting my recordings is the lack of good paying clients because the economy is broken.
Corruption is, unfortunately, winning.

absolutely correct. This wasn't even a problem when this Thread started but now I would say that it has to be the number one problem around the country with recordists.

I voted for myself. I think the question will resonate differently for everyone though. My recordings are no great shakes. But I like them {well, most of them ! }. I do all this for fun and the joy of creativity, despite the sometime frustrations. But if there really is a hinderance to my art, it's lack of time. There are only so many hours in a day and my hobby has never and can never claim priority over other aspects of my life. I do love it, though !

My musical abilites along with my mixing abilities. Like mattr, my gear hasn't changed in years and it's all quite cheap (in music world), but my recording quality has gone up a lot and continues to get better. Sure nice microhpones and preamps would be cook, but if I can't even use what I have to its full potential, what good would it do me to buy more stuff?

I would say that recording good musicians makes a world of difference. When I get someone in who can actually sing, I feel like I could stick that person in front of the mic built in to my laptop and it would come out just fine. Everything is just so easy when the musicians are good.

It's definitely my room. I have all the toys in the world but I can't fit them in the 12x12 room my wife has me confined to.

In this room I have a:

6 peice drumset
Yamaha upright clavinova (hardly visible on the left).
Mac Pro (lower left)
A rack full of hardware
Fender Hot Rod DeVille
An Ampeg SVT combo
and on and on.

I keep building shelves on the wall to hold everything. It's awesome but it sucks. I am going to rebuild my garage this summer.

Can't play, can't sing, can't record, can't mix, can't be bothered to record, too lazy, always tired, can't find things, too lazy to double click stuff.

Back