What's goin' on with everybody

The heater is leaking out of theHW1.jpgHW2.jpg hot outlet from inside the tank. I will have to drain it and take it all apart and bring it back. Never even got the electric hooked up. Damn

Been there done that.

Not that I have a better alternative, but isn't it great how they put the electrical box/hook-up recessed in the top of the tank perfectly situated for water to gather in there in the case of a leak.

Is the water coming from the plastic threaded coupling above, or from the tank below?

Out with the old, in with the new, out with the new, in with the new. No, I didn't repeat myself, isn't life grand?hws.jpg

FWIW, tankless heaters are awesome. I can have all bathrooms being showered in at the same time and never run out of hot water. Saves energy too.
I am old, simplest thing to do is replace, there are only two of us here, we don't use much hot water, I replaced an 80 gallon tank from 1984 rated at 557 dollars a year in 84 money with a new 40 gallon tank., it will outlast me. Shoulda, coulda, woulda, If I were younger and had longer to go I would have considered other options. Good advice for the younger folk though.

Whoever plumbed that in has no business plumbing.

NEVER thread metal male ends into female plastic threads. Always plastic female into male metal.
Yep -agree that PVC is never a good choice even for the cold inlet - and a downright no-no for hot outlet. CPVC - which is what it looks like he's got for the hot outlet - is ok in terms of its rating... but still not a great choice due to it's breakability. For me (and any city code anywhere around here) - copper only for cold-in and hot-out - and CPVC for pressure relief line. And pipe that pressure relief line to an approved drain.:thumbs up:

These guys to the dielectric nipples:

I've had this type fail on me. Twice. In a customer's home. Never again.

Last edited:
🎄

Can anyone here explain to my how a row of Christmas lights can die just by sitting in a box in the basement for 11 months? They were working last January and now I have 2 strands that are half dead! ARGH!

Back